Thread: squirrel with draining abscess

Default squirrel with draining abscess

I have a wild squirrel with a draining abscess that keeps going in our newly released nest box. I noticed our new release hasn't been sleeping in her nest box now for the last 2 nights. I'm thinking the abscess drainage is rubbing off inside the nest box making our new release not want to sleep inside. Does anyone know how long the bacteria can live outside the wound or if it can be harmful to our healthy new released squirrel if she comes into contact with the drainage? Thanks

Default Re: squirrel with draining abscess

The wild might have claimed the nest box and driven out the newly released squirrel? The pus from the draining abscess would certainly have bacteria but as long as your newly released squirrel is healthy and injury-free, I don't think it poses a big risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    I have a wild squirrel with a draining abscess that keeps going in our newly released nest box. I noticed our new release hasn't been sleeping in her nest box now for the last 2 nights. I'm thinking the abscess drainage is rubbing off inside the nest box making our new release not want to sleep inside. Does anyone know how long the bacteria can live outside the wound or if it can be harmful to our healthy new released squirrel if she comes into contact with the drainage? Thanks
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (12-01-2021)

Default Re: squirrel with draining abscess

I think the wild did claim her new nest box for day time use because she doesn't sleep in it at night. My new release was using it as soon as the wild would leave but she just stopped 2 days ago. Thanks