Thread: Rodent Block?

Default Rodent Block?

Are The Power of 5 rat and mouse blocks ok for squirrels? My squirrels will not eat the Exotic Nutrition Rodent Blocks.

Default Re: Rodent Block?

I’ve never heard of those rodent blocks and I wouldn’t advise feeding Exotic Nutrition anything.

Envigo Harlan Teklad 2014 or 2018 rodent block is one of the best nutritional hard extruded blocks. It must be purchased online. You can also try Mazuri rodent block or Oxbow Regal rat blocks. All of these blocks are free feeding, meaning your squirrel can eat as much as they want of them.

The tastiest rodent block is Henry’s Healthy Blocks which must be purchased online from Henrys Pets. They are a supplemental block and squirrels should only have 2-3 per day along with healthy veggies and limited fruits from the Healthy Squirrel Diet.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (11-30-2021), samwitch601 (11-28-2021), stepnstone (12-02-2021)

What is wrong with the exotic nutrition?

Exotic nutrition has ingredients in their products that are not nutritionally the best for squirrels. A good quality rodent block should be a substantial part of a squirrels diet. The exception is Henry’s Healthy blocks which are full of vitamins and should only be fed 2-3 per day along with healthy vegetables and limited fruits from the healthy squirrel diet. Nuts should only be given as an occasional treat.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (11-30-2021), samwitch601 (11-29-2021), stepnstone (12-02-2021)

So how are your babies? Last post was you had 3 pinkies? They had diarrhea? Photos would be great!!!!

I had 2 pinkies. and they are doing great. Big now. I will post photos ASAP. My phone is not letting me log on here.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to samwitch601 from:

Tuff (11-30-2021)

What about Kaytee Forti Diet?

This is a better option. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or this. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...twists-6-count

I came to this conclusion by looking at the ingredients. The first ingredient in the Kaytee food is soybean meal and the second is ground corn. We know corn isn’t good for squirrels because it is so high in phosphorous. I’m sure they balance it by adding enough calcium to diminish the negative aspects of it.

Soy is high in phytoestrogens. When male rats were given high levels of soy it affected their ability to produce offspring. I’m sure the levels given were far higher than what would be found in a food source, but the fact that soy is the first ingredient in the Fort Diet food means that it is the primary ingredient.

We could probably analyze this topic to death and not come up with a definitive option. I have always used Envigo Harlan Teklad block for boo balls. The 2014 type does not contain soy and the 2018 does. It must be purchased online. I have recommended Mazuri and Oxbow rodent block to folks because it’s widely available at big box pet stores.

What you specifically want to avoid is any type of food that has pretty colored bits or seeds in it.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ddhall (12-02-2021), samwitch601 (12-02-2021), sundoesshine (12-02-2021)

So I can use the OxBow as their main diet?

Sure.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

samwitch601 (12-03-2021)

Question Re: Rodent Block?

I'm trying to make homemade squirrel treats but can't afford the Henry vitamin packs. What can I put in place of that