Thread: Degloved tail

Default Degloved tail

I feel so horrible because not only did this happen to my baby, but I handled it all wrong. My Ellie Bear is 3 months old and about 3 inches got torn off from the tip of her tail, I'm referring to 3" of skin, not just the hair. But I didn't understand that that was what happened until hours later when I saw something similar on this site. The person used 2nd skin and put the tail back on. I had thought her tail had been bitten off. This happened on Thanksgiving and I could not call out of work because I work in health care and would have been written up. Also nowhere was open and I couldn't find 2nd skin at the local convenience stores. By the time I got home the tail piece had been sitting for 10 or 11 hours. I put it in the fridge in case it can be saved, but I think it's too late. I also saw that some of you know some vets in Maryland that will treat squirrels?

Default Re: Degloved tail

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAlibis View Post
    I feel so horrible because not only did this happen to my baby, but I handled it all wrong. My Ellie Bear is 3 months old and about 3 inches got torn off from the tip of her tail, I'm referring to 3" of skin, not just the hair. But I didn't understand that that was what happened until hours later when I saw something similar on this site. The person used 2nd skin and put the tail back on. I had thought her tail had been bitten off. This happened on Thanksgiving and I could not call out of work because I work in health care and would have been written up. Also nowhere was open and I couldn't find 2nd skin at the local convenience stores. By the time I got home the tail piece had been sitting for 10 or 11 hours. I put it in the fridge in case it can be saved, but I think it's too late. I also saw that some of you know some vets in Maryland that will treat squirrels?
    2nd skin might help protect the exposed skin on the remaining tail but your not going to be able to "glue" back on and save what has been completely removed. If the bone is exposed it will dry out and that section will either fall off normally or the squirrel will remove it. The remaining tail will heal, just keep it clean and watch for any infection. Usually it just takes care of itself without infecting.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator