Thread: Paraplegic Baby/ Accident or MBD?? EXTREMELY URGENT

Exclamation Paraplegic Baby/ Accident or MBD?? EXTREMELY URGENT

Hello everyone, before I begin I am pretty knowledgeable in the general squirrel info, I have a two year old boy who’s very happy and healthy.

My husband and I were going down our road and a baby crawled out to us, I got out and took him home. He cannot use his back legs or tail, he eats/drinks, and does not show any signs of pain (shaking/aggression/white tears). Also, he has no signs of injury, no scrapes/cuts, bones do not seem to be deformed or off. I have been freaking out since Saturday (when I got him) because I didn’t know if he could use the bathroom on his own or not. He had little solid stools and from what I thought he was urinating on his own. When I got home today he was very messy, his stool was no longer solid, and his bladder was very full, I relieved his bladder and washed him off, he continued to deficit as I cleaned him off(quite normal) though after wards he had water white eyes.

Is inability to urinate a sign of MBD?

When I first got him I immediately called my veterinarian, her first advice was to put him down, I fully understand not to put any animal though unnecessary pain, but he has so potential to live. We’re supposed to go to the vet today at 5:30 (ET). My husband is an animal lover just as I am, but he feels that if he cannot urinate on his own then we shouldn’t put him through this because we will be at work and not home 24/7. If this is a sign of MBD, or if there is someway to do something please let me know. I really think he should be given a chance at life.

Default Re: Paraplegic Baby/ Accident or MBD?? EXTREMELY URGENT

This is not MBD. They don’t get MBD in nature. That is something they get in captivity from improper diet.

More than likely this is from spinal trauma/injury. Please ask your vet to prescribe prednisone. We have seen miracles happen when traumatic injuries are treated with prednisone.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-23-2021)

Default Re: Paraplegic Baby/ Accident or MBD?? EXTREMELY URGENT

I’m going to post an X-ray of a baby with a spinal injury. This squirrel was paralyzed in the front legs. I will show a before and after of the injury. This baby regained full function and was released. This baby was treated with Metacam. No one would have ever imagined that this squirrel would survive but she did. The pics loaded in reverse order. The bottom pic is the first x-ray taken. The top two are before release.

Name:  CF3BD0CC-43D6-429C-9A03-28119029688D.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  43.9 KBName:  98A527F4-3E19-4B29-A83B-32DCC4547BD0.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  41.3 KBName:  BF717EF8-E591-4C28-B53E-0D4205423934.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  41.6 KB

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (11-24-2021), Mel1959 (11-23-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-23-2021), stepnstone (11-23-2021)