Thread: Terrified Chip

Default Terrified Chip

I hope this isn’t too long, but here goes. I have been raising boy triplets, at least that what I call them. Mike, Robbie and Chip. Chip from the get go made me nervous as his eating patterns and amount varied greatly than Mike and Robbie and he was very small compared to Mike and Robbie. Eventually he caught up, but he is different and I don’t know how to explain it other than that. So the boys have an enclosure in our enclosed carport and they are able to have play times etc. Chip has gotten out a few times on his own though. Yesterday I was doing laundry and heard horrible squealing. I dropped everything and ran like an oversized mama human squirrel would do. Chip was laying on his side on the carport floor screaming, I thought he was having a seizure or something or worse maybe my cat was out there and had gotten him. All of the sudden I put 2&2 together and realized my husband was leaf blowing our deck which is connected to the carport. Now mind you, the carport is enclosed, but it’s basically like a sun room. Mike and Robbie were aggravated but nothing like Chip. I wrapped him up in a soft towel and brought him inside until he calmed down. I had to get my husband to stop leaf blowing which he was not happy about but these boys are my babies I have put so much into them don’t mess with my kids, human or otherwise lol. So I guess I question how to release specifically Chip? I mean he is so timid to see them all together you can see the difference. The other two are ready to play but Chip is always hiding??is this just his personality? Their best fell from a tree in maybe the middle of August and they were maybe a week old. It’s gotten so cold so fast that to release now is a no go so I do have to winter.

Default Re: Terrified Chip

Can you attach a picture of your boys? Are you sure that Chip didn’t fall from somewhere when you found him squealing?

I see your plan is to overwinter. That’s a good plan. It will give Chip a chance to mature and maybe grow out of his fearfulness.

Nice you attach a picture we can determine if there could be a genetic abnormality like dwarfism.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Can you attach a picture of your boys? Are you sure that Chip didn’t fall from somewhere when you found him squealing?

I see your plan is to overwinter. That’s a good plan. It will give Chip a chance to mature and maybe grow out of his fearfulness.

Nice you attach a picture we can determine if there could be a genetic abnormality like dwarfism.
    Hi! Yes I will attach a photo tomorrow. I have been working so unable to stop long enough to try and get a photo of these busy boys! I don’t think he fell though! He was terrified once I wrapped him up brought him and let him calm down he was fine. Ordinarily he doesn’t come out of their squirrel tent unless I coax him out, he’s just always moved to the beat of his own drum🤷🏻*♀️

It sure does sound like a seizure. It would be helpful to know what their diet is. Seizures are often associated with low calcium so knowing the diet will be helpful in ruling out deficiencies.