Thread: Help baby squirrel is having diarrhea

Hybrid View

Default Help baby squirrel is having diarrhea

I work as a vet tech at an animal hospital and on Wednesday a baby squirrel was brought in after falling from a tree. The baby squirrel had blood around its nose and one of its bottom front teeth fell out. The baby was slightly dehydrated as well. I took the baby home and have slowly worked on rehydrating it and have been feeding it esbilac puppy milk replace (mix 1 part powder with 2 parts water). She had a normal solid poop the first night I brought her home and she is peeing on her own. She has gotten used to the formula and is now eating it very well. This morning she started having softer more orangey/light tan colored stool. I fed her bout 8mls this morning at 9Am and since then I have held off on feeding her because of the diarrhea. I have been offering her water from a syringe about every hour but she doesn’t like it. I am wondering if maybe I fed her too much or too often. I was feeding her every 2-3 hours at first because she would only eat about 1-2mls. Know that she has started to eat more I began spacing it out more to 4 hours. I was also giving her some pedialyte yesterday but stopped today because I read that you weren’t supposed to give it for more than 24 hrs. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I don’t know how old she is, but her eyes are open, she is fluffy, and has teeth. I would guess 7-8 weeks maybe.I know hoe fast diarrhea can lead to issues so I am trying to do whatever I can to prevent this.

Default Re: Help baby squirrel is having diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbaby99 View Post
    I work as a vet tech at an animal hospital and on Wednesday a baby squirrel was brought in after falling from a tree. The baby squirrel had blood around its nose and one of its bottom front teeth fell out. The baby was slightly dehydrated as well. I took the baby home and have slowly worked on rehydrating it and have been feeding it esbilac puppy milk replace (mix 1 part powder with 2 parts water). She had a normal solid poop the first night I brought her home and she is peeing on her own. She has gotten used to the formula and is now eating it very well. This morning she started having softer more orangey/light tan colored stool. I fed her bout 8mls this morning at 9Am and since then I have held off on feeding her because of the diarrhea. I have been offering her water from a syringe about every hour but she doesn’t like it. I am wondering if maybe I fed her too much or too often. I was feeding her every 2-3 hours at first because she would only eat about 1-2mls. Know that she has started to eat more I began spacing it out more to 4 hours. I was also giving her some pedialyte yesterday but stopped today because I read that you weren’t supposed to give it for more than 24 hrs. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I don’t know how old she is, but her eyes are open, she is fluffy, and has teeth. I would guess 7-8 weeks maybe.I know hoe fast diarrhea can lead to issues so I am trying to do whatever I can to prevent this.
    The black / dark poops are from mom's milk. The Esbilac poops will be a lighter color, usually golden or mustard (I am not good with colors, there are only 5 in my world). If it is "whitish" that is usually a sign of over-feeding.

We feed by weight, 5-7% of body weight per feeding... so a 100gm baby would get fed 5 - 7ml per feeding. If you can weigh here, and post pictures, we can provide more precise advice on amounts and frequency of feeding. My guess is she should not be fed more than 4 times a day right now.

She should also get started on rodent block (Teklad, Mazuri... or you can use Henry's which is a supplement (2 blocks a day) in addition to veggies). No nuts or seeds, block only to start.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (11-20-2021), Squirrelbaby99 (11-19-2021)

I have to go into work tonight and was going to bring her with me this way I can get a weight for her.

Name:  2E46EA52-AC7D-4C1C-A846-3E285183BDEF.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  85.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Also what kind of veggies should I offer her and how much?

Also what kind of veggies should I offer her and how much?
    First and only solids should be rodent block. After she is eating (actually eating) the block, here is the healthy food chart:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Squirrelbaby99 (11-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The black / dark poops are from mom's milk. The Esbilac poops will be a lighter color, usually golden or mustard (I am not good with colors, there are only 5 in my world). If it is "whitish" that is usually a sign of over-feeding.

We feed by weight, 5-7% of body weight per feeding... so a 100gm baby would get fed 5 - 7ml per feeding. If you can weigh here, and post pictures, we can provide more precise advice on amounts and frequency of feeding. My guess is she should not be fed more than 4 times a day right now.

She should also get started on rodent block (Teklad, Mazuri... or you can use Henry's which is a supplement (2 blocks a day) in addition to veggies). No nuts or seeds, block only to start.
    She is 119 g

She is 119 g

At 119grams she should take 6ml - 8.5ml of formula per feeding. I would feed her 4 - 5 times a day.

She looks dehydrated a bit. You are correct about not continuing the pediatlye, but you can give her some sweetened water for hydration. Just a bit of honey to get her interested in the water. Another trick is to dip the nipple into the the honey (or syrup) to get her interested. Give her water in between feedings.

I'd recommend you order some Fox Valley 20/50 for her.. you can switch that our for the Esbilac, or use a 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley formula.

Is she exhibiting any sort of head trauma issues... tilting her head or circling?

Also, if you are not familiar with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) listening to her breathing often... you don't want to hear a persistent "click" noise with each breath. You might hear a "mouth click" occasionally, especially after eating, but this is not the chest clicking of AP.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Squirrelbaby99 (11-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

At 119grams she should take 6ml - 8.5ml of formula per feeding. I would feed her 4 - 5 times a day.

She looks dehydrated a bit. You are correct about not continuing the pediatlye, but you can give her some sweetened water for hydration. Just a bit of honey to get her interested in the water. Another trick is to dip the nipple into the the honey (or syrup) to get her interested. Give her water in between feedings.

I'd recommend you order some Fox Valley 20/50 for her.. you can switch that our for the Esbilac, or use a 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley formula.

Is she exhibiting any sort of head trauma issues... tilting her head or circling?

Also, if you are not familiar with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) listening to her breathing often... you don't want to hear a persistent "click" noise with each breath. You might hear a "mouth click" occasionally, especially after eating, but this is not the chest clicking of AP.
    I don’t see any signs of head trauma. I was going to give her some fluid under the skin while at work. Any recommendations on how much I should give her? I am also not hearing any clicking with her breathing.

I gave her 10 mls of fluid under her skin. Also have her a feeding at 3 and another at 9. Will continue to give her water via a syringe tonight and then she will be coming back to work with me tomorrow. Will consider giving her some more fluids under the skin if necessary. I also ordered the rodent blocks and the recommended formula so hopefully I can start using those soon.