Thread: Possible UTI

Default Possible UTI

Hello all, I have (from internet estimation) 8-9ish week southern flying squirrel. For about 2 days I have noticed him taking a while to urinate, when he does it’s just a little dribble, after doing some research Im thinking it’s a UTI. I’m not sure of his weight as I don’t have a gram scale (I will be getting one tomorrow) I do have some Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim 800 mg / 160 mg tablets on hand and was wondering if after I get an accurate weight if that would be ok to give? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Possible UTI

Quote Originally Posted by Kymmer View Post
    Hello all, I have (from internet estimation) 8-9ish week southern flying squirrel. For about 2 days I have noticed him taking a while to urinate, when he does it’s just a little dribble, after doing some research Im thinking it’s a UTI. I’m not sure of his weight as I don’t have a gram scale (I will be getting one tomorrow) I do have some Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim 800 mg / 160 mg tablets on hand and was wondering if after I get an accurate weight if that would be ok to give? Thanks in advance
    Hi Kymmer:
    How is your Squirrel doing today? Any changes or new developments. What is your Squirrel's name?

Also, is your Squirrel is getting adequate fluids and if not, urine output normally decreases to conserve water. It is essential that your Squirrel has access at all times to clean, fresh water and that any water dispensing apparatus (such as a hanging water bottle) is working well. Squirrels and other animal have become dehydrated and even died from having unrecognized problems with their water delivery systems. Further, fluids will assist with treatment of the UTI should this be what is going on with your Squirrel.

Most likely only one of your SMZ-TMP tablets will be all that is necessary and this is an appropriate antibiotic IF this is a UTI. The tablet will need to be prepared in an exact concentration with usually water and dosed orally very carefully and exactly through a 1cc or a 1/2cc syringe. It is essential that you obtain an accurate weight preferably in grams (most digital scales can be set to read in grams but the issue is not primarily grams but accuracy of a digital scale. The scale you use must be very accurate so a digital scale is essential to ensure the accuracy!). When you get your Squirrel's weight please post it ASAP. One of the Admins will review review all of this and may ask for additional information and if they feel that using SMZ-TMP or any any antibiotic is appropriate, they will get back with via PM with directions on preparing your tablet and correct doing based upon the weight of your Squirrel.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Mel1959 (11-17-2021)

I’m so sorry I’m just now seeing your message. He is doing great! His name is Carl lol. I think dehydration was his problem because I set up all night and day giving him fluids and now he is fine. He drinks out of a dish and I had noticed him drinking but I don’t think it was enough at that point. He is now thriving and growing like a weed. Thank you so much for your response and again I’m sorry it took me so long to see it.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kymmer:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-21-2021), stepnstone (11-21-2021)

I’m glad your baby appears to be fine. I just wanted to add that I have a flyer and he developed a UTI. One of the first indicators that something was wrong was his lack of interest in food….even his Henry’s block or a piece of almond. He also stayed in his cozy cube more and became a little pissy with me when I tried to do anything in his cage. A trip to the vet and antibiotics cleared it right up.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kymmer View Post
    I’m so sorry I’m just now seeing your message. He is doing great! His name is Carl lol. I think dehydration was his problem because I set up all night and day giving him fluids and now he is fine. He drinks out of a dish and I had noticed him drinking but I don’t think it was enough at that point. He is now thriving and growing like a weed. Thank you so much for your response and again I’m sorry it took me so long to see it.
    This is wonderful news Kymmer! I wish you and Carl the very best!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel