Thread: Rehab young squirrels skin issue

Default Rehab young squirrels skin issue

[U]Hi everyone, we are an italian rehab center and clinic for wildlife, so our staff is formed by operators and veterinarians.
    We currently have around 20 young squirrels, and around 5 of them have a more or less severe skin rush on all of their body with hair loss.
    We have no experience since in italy grey squirrels are considered invasive species with a sudden increase in their population.
    What do you think this could be?
    They had been debugged around 20 days ago, as soon as we noticed the hair loss. The photos are from around 20 days ago, the situation looks a bit better atm.
    Please help.
    Thank you
    Alessandra/U]
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Re: Rehab young squirrels skin issue

When you say "debugged" what was used, how applied, how often?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    When you say "debugged" what was used, how applied, how often?
    We used stronghold for kitten as suggested, between shoulder blades, only once just about 20 days ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajko View Post
    We used stronghold for kitten as suggested, between shoulder blades, only once just about 20 days ago Thanks
    This is normally repeated 10-14 days after initial treatment especially if/when dealing with mites.
    I have personally treated wilds that were near bald that needed to be treated 3 X before their fur
    came back in successfully to be re-released.
    I would recommend administering a second dose and even a third if necessary.

Revolution/ Stronghold can also be safely given orally. Many of us have treated squirrels still in the wild
    in this manner by applying the med on a grooved nut such as Pecan or walnut, allowing time to soak in
    and dry, then smear a light coat of peanut or almond butter over the med area before tossing it to them.
    My personal method is to drill a small hole in an almond and do the same.
    Many antibiotics are also used in this way to treat infections on squirrels that are still in the wild.

Last edited by stepnstone; 11-15-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

This is normally repeated 10-14 days after initial treatment especially if/when dealing with mites.
    I have personally treated wilds that were near bald that needed to be treated 3 X before their fur
    came back in successfully to be re-released.
    I would recommend administering a second dose and even a third if necessary.
    We made a lot of slides but we didn't notice trace of mites. To tell you the truth, after the first treatment the rush has remarkably get better and this could be cleared up by the presence of some kind of mites...we will proceed with further treatments as you recommend.
    Do you suggest any other check? Anything different to inspect?
    Thanks

It doesn’t really look like a bacterial infection. We often see Staph infections on babies bellies. It presents as red, oozy lesions or pustules. This doesn’t look like that.

Another consideration is fungal but to be honest it doesn’t look like that either. The missing hair on the face and around the eyes does not look fungal.

I think your best option is to retreat for mites or other subcutaneous crawlies. See if that works. It might just be such a bad infection it will take more time and additional treatment.

The only other thing I can think of is allergic inflammation but if they came in like that I think that is less likely. I have used the Stronghold/Revolution orally several times with wilds and it works like a charm with wilds where topical application is impossible. Even when treating wilds, re-dosing after a week is recommended.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (11-15-2021)

I am curious if you are using cedar for their bedding? I see what may be small wood chips.. if it is cedar, this could be causing an allergic type reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajko View Post
    We made a lot of slides but we didn't notice trace of mites. To tell you the truth, after the first treatment the rush has remarkably get better and this could be cleared up by the presence of some kind of mites...we will proceed with further treatments as you recommend.
    Do you suggest any other check? Anything different to inspect?
    Thanks
    If I were to take a squirrel of such to my veterinarian he likely would do a skin scraping and have it analyzed for a Protozoa.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It doesn’t really look like a bacterial infection. We often see Staph infections on babies bellies. It presents as red, oozy lesions or pustules. This doesn’t look like that.

Another consideration is fungal but to be honest it doesn’t look like that either. The missing hair on the face and around the eyes does not look fungal.

I think your best option is to retreat for mites or other subcutaneous crawlies. See if that works. It might just be such a bad infection it will take more time and additional treatment.

The only other thing I can think of is allergic inflammation but if they came in like that I think that is less likely. I have used the Stronghold/Revolution orally several times with wilds and it works like a charm with wilds where topical application is impossible. Even when treating wilds, re-dosing after a week is recommended.
    Ok we will retreat and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I am curious if you are using cedar for their bedding? I see what may be small wood chips.. if it is cedar, this could be causing an allergic type reaction.
    we don't use wood chip, maybe the photos are not very clear.
    I will check the pieces of wood they have to climb on

If I were to take a squirrel of such to my veterinarian he likely would do a skin scraping and have it analyzed for a Protozoa.
    the vet made lots of slides but didn'd see anything. I will told her the eventuality to search protozoa.
    thanks