Thread: POSSIBLE UTI: PLEASE READ! URGENT

Exclamation POSSIBLE UTI: PLEASE READ! URGENT

Hi, I have a 1.5 year old female eastern grey squirrel. I’ve had her since she was 4 weeks old. She eats a very healthy diet of Henry’s blocks and a variety of veggies (broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, endive, carrot, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, (1 nut in the shell as a treat occasionally) occasional fruit treats (no more than 1 a day). Recently she has been weird about meal times, slightly aggressive and has been storing her food instead of eating. I was holding her this morning, petting her and playing with her and her vulva is red and swollen. I will include pictures. She didn’t seem bothered when I handled her but I have never seen her vulva look like this before and she has always been a good eater. I’m concerned she may have a UTI. She is not lethargic and is still very active but is licking herself frequently on her genitals, and seems to be dragging herself frequently against her blankets. I recently moved and no longer have access to a vet in my area. If someone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it. I’m concerned I’ll need an antibiotic and all I have is baytril 10%. I love my girl and want to make sure she’s healthy and happy.

Name:  2B1ADACC-6FDE-41CE-9372-F86473B197C5.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  78.2 KBName:  25F24653-B869-4F60-B058-AE87ABDAE9C7.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  122.9 KB

Default Re: POSSIBLE UTI: PLEASE READ! URGENT

OK mostly here to bump your thread.....
    You said you recently moved, are you still in Florida, if so what part?
    Your girl is 1.5 years old it's possible she's in heat, I've seen my girl get this way and drag herself.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Your girl is 1.5 years old it's possible she's in heat, I've seen my girl get this way and drag herself.
    I’m unfortunately no longer in Florida. Is it typical for them to not eat while in heat? She has not been eating her blocks or veggies which I have never seen. She has always eaten her blocks immediately.

It looks like estrus to me. Depending on where you moved to, she may still be on a Florida cycle. Squirrels here mate year round.

If you are going to treat for a UTI you will have to find some antibiotics and list what you’ve found and the strength of the meds. Human antibiotics are fine.
    We’ll also need a weight (or approximate weight) of your girl.

It’s conceivable that estrus could affect her appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It looks like estrus to me. Depending on where you moved to, she may still be on a Florida cycle. Squirrels here mate year round.

If you are going to treat for a UTI you will have to find some antibiotics and list what you’ve found and the strength of the meds. Human antibiotics are fine.
    We’ll also need a weight (or approximate weight) of your girl.

It’s conceivable that estrus could affect her appetite.
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I’ll continue to monitor her closely. I just got so worried when she wasn’t eating. It’s not like her at all and I’ve never seen her swollen like that. I have an antibiotic, baytril 10%. I know that cipro is a more ideal antibiotic to treat UTI’s but I don’t have that currently.

My 6 year old Ashley has had this same thing twice. The first time she still ate well. The second time, she didn't eat. Not sure if these issues were UTI's or estrus related. But anyhow I go ahead and treat her with Cipro and it goes away. Hope this makes you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by BMD View Post
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I’ll continue to monitor her closely. I just got so worried when she wasn’t eating. It’s not like her at all and I’ve never seen her swollen like that. I have an antibiotic, baytril 10%. I know that cipro is a more ideal antibiotic to treat UTI’s but I don’t have that currently.
    I believe baytril will work.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Cpro and baytril are nearly the same drug - your baytril will work as well as the cipro would. IF she has a UTI.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (11-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Cpro and baytril are nearly the same drug - your baytril will work as well as the cipro would. IF she has a UTI.
    Thank you! I’m concerned as she is no longer producing any urine that I can see and is barely pooping because she won’t eat. My baytril is 100mg per 1ml please advise on how to dose based on grams. It is an oral solution.Name:  48CD90FE-CE68-471F-B760-446E3C8FB751.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  61.4 KB My scale stopped working so I am buying another. If you know how I should dilute let me know. I’m very worried about her.

I can advise how to dilute and dose but need to know the weight of your squirrel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I can advise how to dilute and dose but need to know the weight of your squirrel.
    I will have an updated and accurate weight in the next 20 minutes or so. My scale stopped working so I’m grabbing a new one right now

I will have an updated and accurate weight in the next 20 minutes or so. My scale stopped working so I’m grabbing a new one right now
    I'll keep checking back...
    Do you have a 1cc syringe for dosing?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (11-14-2021)

I'll keep checking back...
    Do you have a 1cc syringe for dosing?
    I do have a 1cc syringe.Name:  4FF15AA6-2065-4E35-887C-E354FA5E68A7.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  74.9 KB She is 601g . Please advise as to diluting and dosing. Thank you!

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BMD:

Mel1959 (11-14-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-14-2021)

I do have a 1cc syringe.Name:  4FF15AA6-2065-4E35-887C-E354FA5E68A7.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  74.9 KB She is 601g . Please advise as to diluting and dosing. Thank you!
    Good!
    Will send dosing to your private message...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-14-2021)

Good!
    Will send dosing to your private message...
    Sounds good! I’ll keep checking my private messages

Dosing sent.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

BMD (11-16-2021), CritterMom (11-15-2021)

I wanted to provide an update on my girl. I have been providing her with baytril and probiotics based upon the instructions I received since Monday. She has slowly gained her appetite again and has been drinking water consistently too. She has eaten her two blocks today, had some broccoli, endive, and sugar snap peas. Her energy levels remain high and she is playful. The only issue is that her vulva remains swollen and she seems to still be urinating in droplets. I am concerned about this and would appreciate any further advice that anyone can provide. I am willing to drive to a vet in nearby states. I can access Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Please advise. Thank you!

Hoping an admin or senior member can tell you a safe way for your girl to be seen by a vet in one of those states if she doesn't get better soon! It's good info to have on hand anyway

Did she have an appetite again today? Any changes to the appearance or urination?

Can BMD apply diluted betadine (aka povidone-iodine) solution in case her girl is chewing/licking the area and making matters worse? If someone qualified says it's ok, I'd think a cotton ball/Q tip or even a spray bottle if you couldn't get near would work. What about trying to shrink the swollen tissue with sugar as is done for paraphimosis? (I'm trying to treat a male with a sort of equivalent issue.)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdperson View Post
    Hoping an admin or senior member can tell you a safe way for your girl to be seen by a vet in one of those states if she doesn't get better soon! It's good info to have on hand anyway

Did she have an appetite again today? Any changes to the appearance or urination?

Can BMD apply diluted betadine (aka povidone-iodine) solution in case her girl is chewing/licking the area and making matters worse? If someone qualified says it's ok, I'd think a cotton ball/Q tip or even a spray bottle if you couldn't get near would work. What about trying to shrink the swollen tissue with sugar as is done for paraphimosis? (I'm trying to treat a male with a sort of equivalent issue.)
    She did still eat most of the 2 blocks and some broccoli, snap peas and a little avocado yesterday. She still has a lot of energy and does not act as though she is in pain when being handled. The droplets of urine she is producing don’t seem to visibly have any blood in them. She still appears swollen in the area. I will do whatever I need to do to treat her/safely have her seen by a vet