Thread: repellent

Default repellent

Hi everyone-

I dont know what it is but my 7 year old fox squirrel dude is becoming very destructive and makes it his mission to destroy the wall edges and under the sofa, pretty much anything wood he can get, but if I get him branches like I do daily he wont bother, I get him wood to at least replace the wall edges and kitchen cabins but nope not working, he goes back to destroying them. I need to find a solution or my entire apartment will be destroyed soon, its that or I look him up in the cage all day and thats that!!!!!!

Default Re: repellent

I tried pepper and water mix sprayed on the door edges and wall edges, but did nothing. I do not want to buy something chemical without getting any feedback from others on what they think. Any advise would be helpful as I am moving into a new place in a few months and would very much rather he not destroy it like this one, at 7 years old you would think he calmed down by now, but nope the dude is as energized as a 7 month old YELP

Cayenne pepper water mix should work but it looks ugly on lighter colored surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    I tried pepper and water mix sprayed on the door edges and wall edges, but did nothing. I do not want to buy something chemical without getting any feedback from others on what they think. Any advise would be helpful as I am moving into a new place in a few months and would very much rather he not destroy it like this one, at 7 years old you would think he calmed down by now, but nope the dude is as energized as a 7 month old YELP
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Have you tried the bitter apple stuff called Yuck!? It’s sold at pet stores and Tractor Supply. It’s safe for animals and tastes terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Cayenne pepper water mix should work but it looks ugly on lighter colored surfaces.
    Thanks TubeDriver. At this point I need to try anything- he is becoming to destructive-

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Have you tried the bitter apple stuff called Yuck!? It’s sold at pet stores and Tractor Supply. It’s safe for animals and tastes terrible.
    Hey Mel. I did look at the bitter yuck on amazon and the reviews are bad! most say it does not work. Have you tested this before?

I only tried it on a baby who was being suckled by a sibling. I wouldn’t say it was too useful, but I was also a little hesitant to keep applying it. Maybe if you spray it and also add some type of smell they don’t like, like mint, cinnamon or cayenne, it would be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I only tried it on a baby who was being suckled by a sibling. I wouldn’t say it was too useful, but I was also a little hesitant to keep applying it. Maybe if you spray it and also add some type of smell they don’t like, like mint, cinnamon or cayenne, it would be more effective.
    Someone told me they use Lavender oil!!!! sounds strange, but willing to try it if its not harmful

I know nothing about lavender oil, but I know tea tree oil is toxic.

I mixed lavender and peppermint essential oils (aromatherapy ones, not extract/food grade) in some coconut oil to try as a mosquito repellent. Didn’t work for mosquitoes, or for squirrels… my girls found it and tried to eat it.

Try packing tape? Mine liked to chew on the wall edges around the windows, covering those spots with tape was a enough to deter them. Worked on edges and corners of wood furniture too. Stuff I have is 'scotch heavy duty shipping packaging tape'.
    YMMV, but if you’ve got some laying around already it’s worth a try.
    It may pull paint off when you remove it though, so do a spot test first to check.

They also make wall corner guards of various materials... he may chew through plastic ones though, and metal ones are expensive.