Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 4 month Old Indian Palm Squirrel Cannot move his back legs

Default Re: My 4 month Old Indian Palm Squirrel Cannot move his back legs

As Mel stated, MBD recovery is a slow process. It takes apprx 6 months for bone density to recover. Your squirrel will feel better in a week or so and become more active BUT his bones are still brittle. So try to prevent any falls for the next 6 months until the bones are strong again!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Anu (11-05-2021), Birdperson (11-05-2021), island rehabber (11-05-2021), Mel1959 (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It’s going to take time for him to recover if this is MBD. Just continue the daily calcium dosing.
    I have noted that my babies right side belly is little bit tight...tight means like Bit swollen...however he is pooping and peeing...dunno why this happen...

Im so worried about my baby....🤕😔 please help me..what should I do...

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    As Mel stated, MBD recovery is a slow process. It takes apprx 6 months for bone density to recover. Your squirrel will feel better in a week or so and become more active BUT his bones are still brittle. So try to prevent any falls for the next 6 months until the bones are strong again!
    Thank you so much for replying me...ok I will take every step to protect him...❤️

Exclamation Re: My 4 month Old Indian Palm Squirrel Cannot move his back legs

Update

Today I took my squirrel baby to an animal hospital here. im so lucky was able to contact a good doctor there.they checked my baby and told me he has a spinal injury....said there is a little crack in spine. they told me this can be due to fell from the tree ( I found mt baby before 4 months ago in my backyard...on the grass..)

doctor told me to continue 1/4 of tablet of a medicine call Neurosanbe for 8 days...it contains Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride and Cyanocobalamine. and also doctor told me to continue calcium...however she told me to give around 10 mg calcium per day...I think its not enough...doctor told me my baby is not in a calcium deficiency because I give him milk every day (twice a day).

however I will continue giving 250 mg of calcium per day as you guys recommended...

also doctor told me that bloating of my babys tummy occured due to gases because of milk....for that doctor gave me a medicine call Domperone. which contains Domperidone BP.

also doctor adviced me to continue a traditional oil massage method in Sri Lanka...applying an oil on my babys spinal area and legs ❤️

doctor also said this can be cured so continue with said treatments...

I’m happy to hear you found a good doctor and got some encouraging news. How did the doctor determine a spinal injury? Was an X-ray done?

I am not familiar with the drugs the doctor has prescribed, but I see it is different than what was previously prescribed. That’s good because prednisolone prevents the proper absorption of the calcium you’re giving. I think you’re smart to continue with the 250mg daily dose of calcium. Excess calcium won’t harm him and will be excreted in his stool.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anu (11-07-2021), Chirps (11-08-2021)

I’m happy to hear you found a good doctor and got some encouraging news. How did the doctor determine a spinal injury? Was an X-ray done?

I am not familiar with the drugs the doctor has prescribed, but I see it is different than what was previously prescribed. That’s good because prednisolone prevents the proper absorption of the calcium you’re giving. I think you’re smart to continue with the 250mg daily dose of calcium. Excess calcium won’t harm him and will be excreted in his stool.
    Thank you for replying me sir....❤️

no didnt take x ray...doctor checked my baby and told me that there is a crack near to his tail and doctor can feel it when touch...

doctor tried to take a x ray but my baby was so afraid....he was constantly moving

yes I continue 250 mg dosage...
    also giving the recommended medications as prescribed...

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Anu:

Chirps (11-08-2021), Mel1959 (11-07-2021)

Update

last night I saw my babies legs little bit moving when I lift him 🤩 and also he try to wag his tail when I touch his tail...hope this is a good sign ❤️

and guys today I noted my babies penis in little bit red colour...I didnt notice like that before...is it due to his medications ? or due to friction when he moving...
    im so afraid ?
    is it a normal thing ??
    what can I do ?

It’s probably due to friction. I’m not sure how you can prevent it, but you could apply a little antibiotic salve or diaper rash salve to protect it a little. Rub it in well so he’s not able to lick it off.

I’m glad you saw some movement. That’s good news. Keep up the daily calcium doses.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anu (11-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-12-2021), TubeDriver (11-09-2021)

It’s probably due to friction. I’m not sure how you can prevent it, but you could apply a little antibiotic salve or diaper rash salve to protect it a little. Rub it in well so he’s not able to lick it off.

I’m glad you saw some movement. That’s good news. Keep up the daily calcium doses.
    Thank you for replying me...

ok I try to apply antibiotic salve...or diaper rash salve...
    however I do my best to keep my babys hygiene...

ok I will keep the daily calcium dosage...

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anu from:

Mel1959 (11-12-2021)

Update...

My baby squirrel now has wound type of rashes on his belly and legs...its like he biting those wounds. is there any suitable medicine for that ?

is betadine good ?

I applied baby diaper rash powder so far...but no improvement at all..
    I applied this powder at night after cleaning his these rashes with warm water....

can you please tell me a suitable medicine to get rid of this problem...please...it will be a great help

also my baby try to move his legs upwards when I rub his legs...thats a good sign right...hope my baby get well soon....

please tell me a medicine for those wounds...those wounds are kinda look like red bumps...

can I apply betadine ? is it good ? im afraid that my baby will eat this betadine...if so can betadine be harmful ?

I have a paralyzed boy—almost 7 years old. We fight an ongoing battle against dragsores. Scooter wears a “skute” when he’s out and about. It’s a kind of apron that velcroes around his waist. It’s not perfect and you need to be careful about urine scald but it may help. This is Scooter in his skute.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Anu (11-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    I have a paralyzed boy—almost 7 years old. We fight an ongoing battle against dragsores. Scooter wears a “skute” when he’s out and about. It’s a kind of apron that velcroes around his waist. It’s not perfect and you need to be careful about urine scald but it may help. This is Scooter in his skute.

Thank you so much sir...I will try to make this skute...

Quote Originally Posted by Anu View Post
    Update...

My baby squirrel now has wound type of rashes on his belly and legs...its like he biting those wounds. is there any suitable medicine for that ?

is betadine good ?

I applied baby diaper rash powder so far...but no improvement at all..
    I applied this powder at night after cleaning his these rashes with warm water....

can you please tell me a suitable medicine to get rid of this problem...please...it will be a great help

also my baby try to move his legs upwards when I rub his legs...thats a good sign right...hope my baby get well soon....

please tell me a medicine for those wounds...those wounds are kinda look like red bumps...

can I apply betadine ? is it good ? im afraid that my baby will eat this betadine...if so can betadine be harmful ?
    Yes, dilute some betadine with warm water so it looks like strong tea and wipe his bumps. It doesn’t need to be rinsed off it won’t dry sticky. It won’t hurt him if he ingests some.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Anu (11-28-2021)

Yes, dilute some betadine with warm water so it looks like strong tea and wipe his bumps. It doesn’t need to be rinsed off it won’t dry sticky. It won’t hurt him if he ingests some.
    Thank you so much sir...I will do it....thank you again

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anu from:

Mel1959 (11-28-2021)

May I gently suggest that we dilute the Betadine to the color of WEAK tea?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Anu (11-29-2021)

Update !

I apply betadine on the wounds of my squirrel baby as you guys adviced me. I do this at night...after cleaning his wounds with warm water and pat dry wounds with a clean cotton wool I wash off his wounds with mild betadine.
    (I cant wash his body with warm water and baby soap because the last time I tried to wash him he bit me till I bleed. so im afraid of doing that )

the thing is my baby bite his wounds even after I apply betading.
    it seems like he feels an itchy sensation around wounds.

so there is no improvement..because he biting the wounds..

guys please tell me is there anything that I can do to prevent him from biting wounds ?

he bites those wounds like crazy...there are wounds on his upper belly and legs.

please I NEED HELP

and the happy news is now he move his legs a bit and wags his tail...but still cant walk...I hope my baby will be better soon...

guys please help me with this wound problem. what can I do to prevent my baby from biting those wounds ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anu View Post
    Update !

I apply betadine on the wounds of my squirrel baby as you guys adviced me. I do this at night...after cleaning his wounds with warm water and pat dry wounds with a clean cotton wool I wash off his wounds with mild betadine.
    (I cant wash his body with warm water and baby soap because the last time I tried to wash him he bit me till I bleed. so im afraid of doing that )

the thing is my baby bite his wounds even after I apply betading.
    it seems like he feels an itchy sensation around wounds.

so there is no improvement..because he biting the wounds..

guys please tell me is there anything that I can do to prevent him from biting wounds ?

he bites those wounds like crazy...there are wounds on his upper belly and legs.

please I NEED HELP

and the happy news is now he move his legs a bit and wags his tail...but still cant walk...I hope my baby will be better soon...

guys please help me with this wound problem. what can I do to prevent my baby from biting those wounds ?
    Please help me 🙏

Anu, I am so sorry you are not seeing the improvement we'd hoped for. You may need to make him a little cone so he does not bite himself. This has been done successfully for squirrels. Let me see if I can find the link.....be right back.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Anu (12-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Anu, I am so sorry you are not seeing the improvement we'd hoped for. You may need to make him a little cone so he does not bite himself. This has been done successfully for squirrels. Let me see if I can find the link.....be right back.
    OK sir thank you....is there any medicine to stop itchiness...if so can you please tell me....

I made a vest for my Charley Chuckles because he would chew on himself as he had hind issues from the fall he took as a baby out of a tree. The vest prevented him from bending to chew on himself.
    I believe they feel tingling and causes the chewing. I'm praying your little one is getting feeling back which is causing the chewing problem.
    I have how to make a vest in his thread, however you have to be able to handle them in order to make the vest work. Not sure if this is an option for you 🤔
    Name:  IMG_9808 (Medium).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  68.9 KB
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Anu (12-09-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast