Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 4 month Old Indian Palm Squirrel Cannot move his back legs

Exclamation My 4 month Old Indian Palm Squirrel Cannot move his back legs

Yesterday afternoon my 4 months old Indian Palm Squirrel baby has found laying on his cage. We found that he cant move his back legs...We then immediately took him to a vet.
    Day before yesterday night my father has sprayed a insect killing spray to the chair where we let the squirrel to play. Without knowing that my sister has played with squirrel on that chair yesterday morning and this happen.
    So the doctor told us the reason for his back limbs not working is that squirrel has inhaled the insect killer spray. ( doctor said that after spraying such insect killer spray a dust of one centimeter layer will be remained in the surface)

So doctor gave Methylprednisolone as the medication. He recommend to give 1/4 of the tablet twice a day. he gave the medication for three days.

Guys I want to know whether this an effective medicine and I want to know do I need to give that calcium therepy to my baby ?

what happen to my baby...he was so fine in yesterday morning and suddenly we found out laying down in the cage without moving his legs.

As recommend by the vet we gave that medicine three times now. yesterday afternoon , yesterday night and today morning...

My baby doesnt eat anything...but he drink milk and fruit juice. Normally he ate banana , grapes , apple and rice.

please guys tell me how can I cure my baby...
    I really wanna see him walk like before.

and please tell me what can I give him to eat ?

after yesterday evening my baby have pooped several times but I couldnt find any evidence of his urine.

tell me what to do guys....�� im crying since yesterday

Default Re: My 4 month Old Indian Palm Squirrel Cannot move his back legs

I would definitely begin the calcium regimen for MBD. If this is not MBD the extra calcium won’t hurt him. Here’s the link for calcium supplementation: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

Did you give the squirrel a bath to wash off any possible remaining insect spray he could have on his paws? Use a gentle soap and keep him warm.

This could also be the result of a fall. Methyl prednisolone is an anti inflammatory so it would be the correct medicine for an injury to the spinal cord, but would not be a good if your guy has MBD.

Begin the calcium ASAP and let us know if he responds.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anu (10-31-2021), Chirps (10-31-2021), olorin19 (11-05-2021), redwuff (11-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I would definitely begin the calcium regimen for MBD. If this is not MBD the extra calcium won’t hurt him. Here’s the link for calcium supplementation: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

Did you give the squirrel a bath to wash off any possible remaining insect spray he could have on his paws? Use a gentle soap and keep him warm.

This could also be the result of a fall. Methyl prednisolone is an anti inflammatory so it would be the correct medicine for an injury to the spinal cord, but would not be a good if your guy has MBD.

I have a calcium tablets call Kalzana. That tablet contains Calcium, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin C and Vitamin D3 as active ingredients. Can I give this to my baby ? Please reply me asap sir

I started giving calcium for my baby...now he seems little bit active and he ate banana today....hope this work. and im giving him that methyl prednisolone as well. thank you all for helping me..
    however he still cant move his back legs

You have to continue with the calcium for a long time if it’s MBD. The prednisolone also seems to have more affect if it’s continued for a while, too. How many doses of the prednisolone are you giving daily? How many days were you advised to give it?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Anu (11-03-2021)

You have to continue with the calcium for a long time if it’s MBD. The prednisolone also seems to have more affect if it’s continued for a while, too. How many doses of the prednisolone are you giving daily? How many days were you advised to give it?
    thank you for replying me sir...currently im giving prednisolone 1 mg , twice a day...doctor recommended me to give prednisolone for only 3 days. So today is the last day sir.

do I need to continue prednisolone ? if yes how many days ?

and im giving calcium and also giving milk...

only improvement that I noted is now my baby seems bit active.
    however no sign of moving his back legs.

What are you using as a calcium source? How much are you giving and how many times a day are you giving it? Does your squirrel eat any rodent block?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Anu (11-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Anu View Post
    I have a calcium tablets call Kalzana. That tablet contains Calcium, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin C and Vitamin D3 as active ingredients. Can I give this to my baby ? Please reply me asap sir
    The Vitamin D3 is a problem. Can you get anything that is just plain calcium with no other ingredients?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Anu (11-03-2021), Mel1959 (11-03-2021), redwuff (11-03-2021)

What are you using as a calcium source? How much are you giving and how many times a day are you giving it? Does your squirrel eat any rodent block?
    im giving pure calcium tablets. I give my baby 50 mg of calcium for twice a day. giving him these medications so difficult. because he always refuse to consume.

no he doesnt eat any rodent block. In my country Sri Lanka I havent seen any squirrel foods such as rodent blocks in any pet shops. I cant order online because its so expensive 😔

sir what about prednisolone ? do I need to continue that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    The Vitamin D3 is a problem. Can you get anything that is just plain calcium with no other ingredients?
    Thank You for replying me....I bought pure calcium tablets. and now im giving that....

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Anu:

Birdperson (11-03-2021), Chirps (11-04-2021)

im giving pure calcium tablets. I give my baby 50 mg of calcium for twice a day. giving him these medications so difficult. because he always refuse to consume.

no he doesnt eat any rodent block. In my country Sri Lanka I havent seen any squirrel foods such as rodent blocks in any pet shops. I cant order online because its so expensive 😔

sir what about prednisolone ? do I need to continue that ?
    It's so wonderful that this baby has you to care for him! Thank you for helping him! I'm no expert but until you hear back from others, I can share what guides say.

The usual dosage for a small squirrel (Indian Palm Squirrels are about the size of a North American chipmunk) is 250mg of calcium daily. This is often divided into 5 portions of 50mg each, but the most important thing is for him to get it into his little body. It doesn't have to be done that way if you find he has no appetite. Put it in whatever he will eat- fruit juice or mash up the banana and mix it in- anything. Just keep trying different combinations!

Based on all the guides I read, I would say give him 250mg right away. The extra calcium won't hurt your baby. I'm sorry I can't answer about the prednisolone.

Please go to this website, I think it will answer many of your questions. Henry's Healthy Pets - Emergency Treatment for MBD:
    https://henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Birdperson:

Anu (11-04-2021), Mel1959 (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdperson View Post
    It's so wonderful that this baby has you to care for him! Thank you for helping him! I'm no expert but until you hear back from others, I can share what guides say.

The usual dosage for a small squirrel (Indian Palm Squirrels are about the size of a North American chipmunk) is 250mg of calcium daily. This is often divided into 5 portions of 50mg each, but the most important thing is for him to get it into his little body. It doesn't have to be done that way if you find he has no appetite. Put it in whatever he will eat- fruit juice or mash up the banana and mix it in- anything. Just keep trying different combinations!

Based on all the guides I read, I would say give him 250mg right away. The extra calcium won't hurt your baby. I'm sorry I can't answer about the prednisolone.

Please go to this website, I think it will answer many of your questions. Henry's Healthy Pets - Emergency Treatment for MBD:
    https://henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/
    Thank You so much for replying me....I tried several ways to give him calcium...also I tried giving him with mashed up banana...but he refused to eat when he get that taste of the tablet....then I tried mixing that tablet with the milk adding some extra sugar worked...but he doesnt like to drink milk in every times...thats the problem...cant force feed because once I tried to force feed he bit me...

I try my best to treat this baby...
    and now we are going to counsel a doctor in here who is treating for squirrels again...previously we counseled a vet and he gave this prednisolone to my baby.

dunno what to do exactly....however I continue calcium as I can..

its so sad to see this baby only move by using his upper body....I need to see him running as before...

all my family members love this squirrel baby and specially my mom...she cries every time when she sees this squirrel baby struggling to move by only using his upper body...

im speechless

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anu from:

Birdperson (11-04-2021)

Thank You so much for replying me....I tried several ways to give him calcium...also I tried giving him with mashed up banana...but he refused to eat when he get that taste of the tablet....then I tried mixing that tablet with the milk adding some extra sugar worked...but he doesnt like to drink milk in every times...thats the problem...cant force feed because once I tried to force feed he bit me...

I try my best to treat this baby...
    and now we are going to counsel a doctor in here who is treating for squirrels again...previously we counseled a vet and he gave this prednisolone to my baby.

dunno what to do exactly....however I continue calcium as I can..

its so sad to see this baby only move by using his upper body....I need to see him running as before...

all my family members love this squirrel baby and specially my mom...she cries every time when she sees this squirrel baby struggling to move by only using his upper body...

im speechless
    Your baby sounds incredibly loved! My heart aches for him and your family. I'm so sorry for his sickness.

It's wonderful that you found another doctor who knows more about squirrels! I only want to caution you not to think you must euthanize him if the doctor thinks it is a permanent disability. There are many people here who have happy squirrels despite their hind-leg paralysis (paraplegia) and they can help you figure it out!

Maybe you could try putting extra calcium in his first meal of the morning and see if he'll take it because he's most hungry? And if you have not tried them already, I read about some Indian palm squirrels who preferred buffalo milk or papaya juice...

I found a website with information about products available in India for giving squirrels healthier milk. Maybe one of them is available in Sri Lanka? http://www.rehabbersden.org/rehabber...sSp.Page1.html
    "Infant milk formulas like Farex milk, Lactogen, Nan, etc. may be used instead. Depending on their age, the kits may be given a combination infant milk formula, boiled egg yolk and infant cereal preparations like Farex or Cerelac to meet the nutritional requirements."

You said in the first post that you didn't see his urine. Has he been urinating since then? Can he pee and poop on his own? This page has some info on paralyzed squirrels including a video for emptying the bladder if he isn't urinating. https://squirrelforum.com/nr-care/

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Birdperson:

Anu (11-04-2021), Chirps (11-05-2021), Mel1959 (11-04-2021)

As birdperson stated, the calcium must be given by whatever means possible. If it can be crushed and added to some juice (papaya is especially healthy) then it can be administered by syringe into his mouth. Wrap him in a blanket like a burrito and hold him and give him the calcium that way.

Consistent doses of calcium are needed to maintain the calcium level in his body. So 250mg divided and spread out throughout the day. If this is MBD it will take many weeks or months of dosing the calcium to reverse the affects of MBD. However, with consistent calcium dosing you should see some improvement in a matter of days.

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anu (11-04-2021), Birdperson (11-05-2021), Chirps (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdperson View Post
    Your baby sounds incredibly loved! My heart aches for him and your family. I'm so sorry for his sickness.

It's wonderful that you found another doctor who knows more about squirrels! I only want to caution you not to think you must euthanize him if the doctor thinks it is a permanent disability. There are many people here who have happy squirrels despite their hind-leg paralysis (paraplegia) and they can help you figure it out!

Maybe you could try putting extra calcium in his first meal of the morning and see if he'll take it because he's most hungry? And if you have not tried them already, I read about some Indian palm squirrels who preferred buffalo milk or papaya juice...

I found a website with information about products available in India for giving squirrels healthier milk. Maybe one of them is available in Sri Lanka? http://www.rehabbersden.org/rehabber...sSp.Page1.html
    "Infant milk formulas like Farex milk, Lactogen, Nan, etc. may be used instead. Depending on their age, the kits may be given a combination infant milk formula, boiled egg yolk and infant cereal preparations like Farex or Cerelac to meet the nutritional requirements."

You said in the first post that you didn't see his urine. Has he been urinating since then? Can he pee and poop on his own? This page has some info on paralyzed squirrels including a video for emptying the bladder if he isn't urinating. https://squirrelforum.com/nr-care/
    Thank you again for replying me....That doctor I was said earlier told us he is not treating for squirrels now...hmm dunno why..mand im so sad....im no way euthanize my baby dear...and it will never happen...and its a sin because im a buddhist...I will look after him till his last day.

In Sri Lanka I cant find buffalo milk...I mean in the way of liquid...there is buffalo milk as yoghurt here...however I tried all these infant formulaa and cerials...he refuses to take.

Fortunately now I see him pooping and sometimes urinating..but I dont see him urinate all the time.

thank you for the video dear...I will do the best I can

As birdperson stated, the calcium must be given by whatever means possible. If it can be crushed and added to some juice (papaya is especially healthy) then it can be administered by syringe into his mouth. Wrap him in a blanket like a burrito and hold him and give him the calcium that way.

Consistent doses of calcium are needed to maintain the calcium level in his body. So 250mg divided and spread out throughout the day. If this is MBD it will take many weeks or months of dosing the calcium to reverse the affects of MBD. However, with consistent calcium dosing you should see some improvement in a matter of days.
    Thank you for replying me sir...ok I will try my best to treat my baby as you guys telling me. thank you again...you dont know these how these replies mean to me...

How long do I need to give my baby prednisolone ?

his recommended prednisolone dosage finished yesterday...
    do I need to continue again ?
    the doctor says prednisolone for three days is sufficient. I dont know why he says like that...

for how many days should I fontinue prednisolone ?

please help me

I think that giving prednisolone is counterproductive if this is MBD. If I’m not mistaken, prednisolone (prednisone) interferes with the absorption of the calcium.

Why don’t you continue with the calcium for now and see if it will help. I think you would have seen some type of improvement if the prednisolone was helping.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anu (11-05-2021), Chirps (11-05-2021)

I think that giving prednisolone is counterproductive if this is MBD. If I’m not mistaken, prednisolone (prednisone) interferes with the absorption of the calcium.

Why don’t you continue with the calcium for now and see if it will help. I think you would have seen some type of improvement if the prednisolone was helping.
    ok sir I will continue calcium...I didnt see any improvement by giving prednisolone...however when I started giving him calcium he seems to be active as before....

It’s going to take time for him to recover if this is MBD. Just continue the daily calcium dosing.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anu (11-05-2021), TubeDriver (11-05-2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast