Thread: Need help-5/wk Eastern Gray developed sudden bump on face while eating formula

Default Need help-5/wk Eastern Gray developed sudden bump on face while eating formula

Hi everyone, my family has rescued a baby Eastern Gray Squirrel about 5 weeks ago when our cat brought to us virtually unharmed. This is a picture from that weekend this is my first post. Until today I have learned a great deal and followed advice from others posts to get our little Ladybug to this point.
    This morning when I was feeding her formula a bump developed on her nose area just slightly below her right eye. Could some formula have collected in a sinus cavity? I’ve been very careful to feed with O-ring syringe, specialty nipple, slowly without air bubbles and at the proper angle. At least as much as she will let me. I’ve tried to load pics from first couple of days and another of this morning so you can see how she’s grown. Poop & pee is normal.
    I can’t find anything in my resources addressing sudden bump while sucking on syringe.
    Any advice and reassurance will be very helpful
    Thank you all very much!
    Brand new squirrel mom taking it one day at a time!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Need help-5/wk Eastern Gray developed sudden bump on face while eating formula

A couple of questions:

- are you SURE the bump popped up at that actual time? This baby was cat caught, and abcesses caused by even the slightest scratch by a cat come up very quickly....

- have you looked inside her mouth,? is there anything going on internally??
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Need help-5/wk Eastern Gray developed sudden bump on face while eating formula

“Thank you Island rehabbed, your suggestion reminded me that earlier this week I didn’t have the bedroom door closed tightly enough and our cat tried to get her out of her container while I was mixing up new formula. I heard her cry out and was able to get to her before anything happened. They have been good for the most part, but I think he was just curious. Anyway, I inspected her for any visible cuts, punctures or abrasions and there were none. I didn’t think about it being related to this lump until you answered my thread. We have had her since she was pink, hairless and her eyes were closed and bulging. Watched every amazing transformation and celebrated everyday she’s grown stronger and harrier.
    What should we do with this information if possible abscess? She’s eating and very active between meals. Has a little sneeze or snort on occasion which is why I was thinking formula in nasal cavities. Thank you again!”

How is your baby doing?

Squirrels that have been in the mouth of a cat require antibiotics. Cat saliva contains bacteria that is deadly to squirrels. Can you locate some antibiotics? Human versions are fine. Please post what you find and the strength and weight of the baby. Someone will help you with dosing.

The abscess will need to drain to heal.