Thread: Lost 3 mice on 3 days due to bot fly larvae

Default Lost 3 mice on 3 days due to bot fly larvae

I have been in Ohio a very long time and have had many animals yet never once have I encountered one of my babies with a bot fly. I guess my question is this, where are they coming from and how are they getting into these tanks? What do I do?
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

Default Re: Lost 3 mice on 3 days due to bot fly larvae

wow, TP that is awful...I am so sorry. We Don't have them in my area either so I am of no help to you here, just wanted to respond with condolences. Is there anything that has changed in their environment? A new plant, even, that could have brought the flies in?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

No nothing I can think of. I know the warmer climates have them but never heard of anyone having bot fly issues here in Ohio. Climate control may be beginning to have an affect on these things, I don't know. The past 2 years temps in june were heat waves but I am finding these things now where temps are cold and even our shimmer wasn't so hot. I haven't even seen 1 fly in my house. Lots of stink bugs but I leave then alone. I just pray I don't have any more issues like this. One of my mice was one I called baby girl and she lived being held and would vibrate in my hand. It just kills me. I would fumigate but I can't with the animals.
    RIP Timothy

This is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of. Are you sure they’re bot flies? I can’t even imagine a bot fly in the house. I am very familiar with them because they are rampant in the summer months in the wild population here in FL.

Yes. They are large fat blackish brown larvae that were burrowed under the skin. I googled bot flies and there is a species called the Ohio bot fly. How it got into the house is a mystery. And how they got into screened aquariums is yet another mystery. I have checked nearly every one of my babies and they seem fine. I have changed everyones bedding and washed down the cages. I hope it's the end of them.
    RIP Timothy