Thread: Juvenile Squirrel brought in by dog-need advice

Default Juvenile Squirrel brought in by dog-need advice

I have a juvenile squirrel, looks to be 10-12 weeks old. It was definitely in shock. I have palpated spine and extremities, there does not appear to be any problems. No blood or signs of a wound. I don’t want to become its mom. How can I best help it? Currently in an animal carrier in basement where it is dark and quiet. Squirrel is snuggled in and warm.

Default Re: Juvenile Squirrel brought in by dog-need advice

I don’t know of any rehabbers in Alabama. There are a few in Georgia. It may be that the squirrel will recover on its own after some rest. Does it appear to be using all its limbs? Do you think it was hit by a car or did it fall out of a tree? Was it caught by a dog or cat?

Cat saliva is deadly to squirrels and must be treated with antibiotics.

Let us know how it’s doing in the morning.

Sorry, missed the “dog” in the title.

How’s the squirrel doing this morning? If it has compromised use of its legs it can mean there’s some spinal cord inflammation. If you can locate some prednisone it can be treated. We can help you dose it.

Can you upload a picture so it’s age and condition can be assessed?

Where are you in Alabama i have a freind who is out if work for next 3 months from neck surgery but would be more than capable of handling this situation for you. He told me in alabama 99 percent of squirrwls that get turned over to wildlife patrol end up in squirrel heaven. Please let me know i may have an opertunity for you to bring it to alexandria to his miny horse farm. Please let me know if that is doable for you and if so ill make arrangments.
    Every footprint in this world matters.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Josh and ninja from:

Mel1959 (11-02-2021)