Thread: Adult eastern grey male going downhill: paraphimosis? Respiratory infection?

Exclamation Adult eastern grey male going downhill: paraphimosis? Respiratory infection?

6 weeks ago (9/15/21) I took in a wild adult eastern grey male from my yard. He has what appears to be paraphimosis? (12+ weeks), has been sneezing (~3 wks), and is sleeping a lot (~2 wks?). His appetite has declined over the last week. He now won't even eat more than a few roasted almonds (coated in calcium powder) a couple times a day.

Paraphimosis: I first saw his paraphimosis (penis tip looks like a red bubble) at least 12 weeks ago (walking with his right front foot held up is what got my attention.) When I caught him 6 weeks ago, he had rapidly worsening mange, a limp, and moved slow. But since day 1 in my care, he drinks a lot and pees a lot (and seemingly without issue-- doesn't take long or anything). I began to think it might just be a congenital abnormality. The attached photos are from a week before I caught him (9/8). He does NOT like humans and I haven't seen it up close since he's been in my care.

Why I have him: Local rehabilitators (called all within 2 hours) have told me they can't take an adult patient and that they wouldn't release him back here even if they did have room (and it seems very bad to go into winter without having his cached food, knowing the area, likely having multiple dreys, etc.) There is a vet clinic that can treat wildlife, but they pass animals on to those same local rehabbers who don't have room. I fear he'd be euthanized on the spot because of the appearance of his penis. I decided to trap him after he failed to jump up onto a 1ft tall rock.

Sneezing: When I first heard the sneezing about 3 weeks ago it sounding gunky and I saw mucus (clear or whitish) around his nostrils a few times. I gave him SMZ-TMP (sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim aka Bactrim) based on dosing I was given for another squirrel. He got 4 days in before he wouldn't eat it anymore (not in peanut butter or almond butter, with our without sugar or salt added, on a walnut, etc.). It seemed much better so I gave up after a few days of trial-and-error. He still sniffles a little bit but no mucus after the SMZ.

Mange: I gave him ivermectin over the first 2 weeks. His fur looks great now!

Limp: I can't detect any.

Diet: He had been eating 3 Henry's peanut (wild) blocks every day (only accepted in mushed-up moist form), and a few almonds for treats. He generally hasn't been interested in the many wild branches, vegetables, or fruits I've tried (all from Henry's squirrel diet chart). His appetite was great and I started mixing other stuff in with Henry's to give him more food without causing a calcium problem. He generally accepted some added almond butter with the correct amount of calcium added to compensate.

Housing: He lives in a double critter nation cage lined with untreated kraft-type brown paper (used as painting drop cloth, etc.). He's using fleece, leaves, and paper towels as bedding in his 2 boxes.

What should I do? Could his paraphimosis be connected to the respiratory symptoms, like a systemic infection? Do I try giving him more SMZ or does he need another antibiotic? I have infant ibuprofen drops, prednisone, and tramadol available to me if I got dosing instructions. I'm in Ohio but am willing to drive him to proper care. We planned to release him in a nice wood nest box that we built him, mounted to one of our trees. I will add more details shortly--I just wanted to get this out there ASAP! Thanks so much in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Adult eastern grey male going downhill: paraphimosis? Respiratory infection?

I named him Imp-- because he's an inpatient who is impatient to get out! He chewed up the DCN plastic bottom pan, followed by a pine board I put in to give it him a floor while we endured the long wait for a stainless replacement pan to arrive from Bass Equipment. (I used the plastic because the DCN was bought just for him, and Amazon delivered it about an hour before I finally trapped him!)

When I first caught him he growled so much whenever I even walked towards the cage. For several more weeks he growled every time we caught a glimpse of each other through the nest box holes. But around 3 weeks ago he began retrieving treats offered to him on a stick through the bars. He now tolerates us looking at each other while he eats. I have a security camera on his cage that records 24/7 so I can better monitor without scaring him. Outside he had been an extremely skittish squirrel.

This attached photo is from 12 weeks ago (6 weeks before I caught him) and was the first time I saw his penis issue (he was hanging from my bird feeder).

Default Re: Adult eastern grey male going downhill: paraphimosis? Respiratory infection?

Hi, can you send some closer photos of his penis? I would examine it closely, make sure some type of hair or thin fiber is not wrapped around the penis acting as a ligature? If so, it can be very hard to detect it with all the surrounding edema. It is a good thing he can urinate without issue, this gives you some time to figure out how to treat him.

SMZ sounds like a reasonable AB to try here but 4 days may not be enough. I also wonder about a short course of prednisone to try and relieve the swelling of his penis? But some close up photos of his penis would help us to get an idea of what is going on.

If gets really picky about foods, he might like boo balls. I grind up block (Teklad or Henrys) and also some unsalted almonds in a 60/40 ratio. I use unsweetened apple sauce as a binder. Make a big ball and refrigerate, carve a piece out with a spoon, roll into a block sized ball (or slightly larger) and serve. It can also be a good way to sneak in AB doses.

[edit] I saw you posted up a better photo of his penis, that will help folks here!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Birdperson (10-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hi, can you send some closer photos of his penis? I would examine it closely, make sure some type of hair or thin fiber is not wrapped around the penis acting as a ligature? If so, it can be very hard to detect it with all the surrounding edema. It is a good thing he can urinate without issue, this gives you some time to figure out how to treat him.

SMZ sounds like a reasonable AB to try here but 4 days may not be enough. I also wonder about a short course of prednisone to try and relieve the swelling of his penis? But some close up photos of his penis would help us to get an idea of what is going on.

If gets really picky about foods, he might like boo balls. I grind up block (Teklad or Henrys) and also some unsalted almonds in a 60/40 ratio. I use unsweetened apple sauce as a binder. Make a big ball and refrigerate, carve a piece out with a spoon, roll into a block sized ball (or slightly larger) and serve. It can also be a good way to sneak in AB doses.

[edit] I saw you posted up a better photo of his penis, that will help folks here!
    Thank you!!! I have a few other photos of his penis from before I caught him that I can post, but I haven't handled him ever (his growling is pretty intimidating). I could remove one level's nest box and scare him into the other level to try to force a view of it today (assuming he'd climb on the walls?). I can probably get the old photos up in about an hour but they may not be any better.

I had the same thought about prednisone and if I couldn't get any help I would probably try it as a last-ditch effort. I worried about suppressing the immune system if infection is going on...

Yesterday he wouldn't even eat (natural) peanut butter with nothing but Henry's calcium in it. I was thrilled to get him to eat some calcium-coated (roasted, unsalted) almonds today. Will keep trying different food combos, thanks for the additional boo ball info-- I never tried making similar with Teklad, only Henry's and who knows what will work!

It looks as though the tip of the penis sheath has rolled back. I had this happen with my dwarf squirrel several times. I was able to apply coconut oil and gently roll it back down.

I could be completely wrong about this it just looks very similar to what my little guys looked like.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Birdperson (10-28-2021)

Here are three more close-up photos from *slightly* different angles from 12 weeks ago (6 weeks before catching him). Please excuse the millet from the bird feeder he was perusing! At least it gives us some scale...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It looks as though the tip of the penis sheath has rolled back. I had this happen with my dwarf squirrel several times. I was able to apply coconut oil and gently roll it back down.

I could be completely wrong about this it just looks very similar to what my little guys looked like.
    Thank you! It would be great if the solution was so "simple". But he is so wild that I want someone to tell me it's the best thing to try before I put us both through that! (I'm not sure I could without injuring one of us.) Poor boys!!!

Right, I didn’t realize he’s a wild.

You mentioned knowing of a vet that treats wildlife. Would it be in Strongsville, OH? I know of one there that does, but I don’t know that it’s 100% safe as far as confiscation goes. In your case since you’re just trying to get help for him and intend to release him, it may not be an issue. Provided they’ll return him to you for release.

I don’t see how this is going to be fixed unless by a vet and possibly surgery. If he can’t be handled then he will need to be sedated. Six weeks is a pretty long time to have already had him in captivity. I’m not sure of the number of squirrels in your yard but I’d be concerned about him losing his standing in the squirrel hierarchy there. He may get run off when he is released. Winter is quickly approaching and he’ll need to claim his drey or box before it sets in. I think this needs to be figured out soon.

Have you considered sending pictures to the vet and get an opinion of the seriousness of this? Maybe as you say it’s genetic and not life threatening. Dr. Emerson in Port Orange, FL might be willing to review the pictures and offer an opinion. The office number is 386-788-1550. If you call and explain the situation to the office staff they can see that she gets the pics.

If you’d like the information about the vet I know of, send me a pm.

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Birdperson (10-29-2021), Chirps (10-29-2021), KCullen (10-29-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-29-2021), TubeDriver (10-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Right, I didn’t realize he’s a wild.

You mentioned knowing of a vet that treats wildlife. Would it be in Strongsville, OH? I know of one there that does, but I don’t know that it’s 100% safe as far as confiscation goes. In your case since you’re just trying to get help for him and intend to release him, it may not be an issue. Provided they’ll return him to you for release.

I don’t see how this is going to be fixed unless by a vet and possibly surgery. If he can’t be handled then he will need to be sedated. Six weeks is a pretty long time to have already had him in captivity. I’m not sure of the number of squirrels in your yard but I’d be concerned about him losing his standing in the squirrel hierarchy there. He may get run off when he is released. Winter is quickly approaching and he’ll need to claim his drey or box before it sets in. I think this needs to be figured out soon.

Have you considered sending pictures to the vet and get an opinion of the seriousness of this? Maybe as you say it’s genetic and not life threatening. Dr. Emerson in Port Orange, FL might be willing to review the pictures and offer an opinion. The office number is 386-788-1550. If you call and explain the situation to the office staff they can see that she gets the pics.

If you’d like the information about the vet I know of, send me a pm.
    No, I'm not aware of that Ohio vet. I was told of a clinic that the state gave a special permission to treat wildlife called Metropolitan Hospital. Reception said they don't "give them back" and won't provide any info on what happened. The only other info I could get was they give wildlife to local rehabbers (who don't want an adult and also told me they don't ever release within city limits since squirrels are "nuisance animals".) That said, Imp's welfare is all that matters to me and I'd be happy for him to be released in whatever way gives him the best chance!

My thinking has been: poor Imp had a serious limp, bleeding mange, and had survived 6+ weeks (for all I know, his whole life) with whatever is going on with his penis. Nobody locally would give him a chance at proper treatment (all I heard was bring him in for euthanasia or let nature handle it). I knew I could provide ivermectin, rest, good nutrition, and what ended up being a very short course of SMZ. I hoped that maybe the "paraphimosis" would improve one way or other. If it would be fatal without vet care, he wasn't getting any out there. In the week before I caught Imp, another came with even worse mange and limp and I never saw him again.

With mange and limp gone, I had sort of given up on his penis problem when the sneezing happened and now his appetite decreased. I didn't want to put him back out there worse than before I intervened. That's how I ended up here.

I'm also concerned about winter and the status of his existing drey(s) so a friend built a large dual-entrance nest box for me. Of course, he might not keep it. I'll put up more boxes as soon as Imp's out of my care.

Dr. Emerson's info is great, I'll try calling the office tomorrow. I'd love the OH vet's info too so I'm sending a PM now. Thanks!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Birdperson from:

Mel1959 (10-29-2021)

Vets info sent.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Birdperson (10-29-2021), GeorgiesMom (10-31-2021), TubeDriver (10-29-2021)

Believe it or not, plain ordinary granulated sugar can be used to reduce swelling in prolapsed tissues.
    Sugar is used by veterinarians to reduce swelling in prolapsed prepuce in dogs.

For step by step directions scroll down on this page. https://thebark.com/content/paraphimosis

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Birdperson (10-30-2021), Mel1959 (10-30-2021), stepnstone (10-29-2021)

Just to note, though a bag of frozen peas cannot be used as it is in dogs with this same problem; yet using cool, not freezing water, can support cooling down the tissue to reduce swelling.

This treatment could potentially be accomplished without having to handle and restrict the squirrel; using a small adjustable flow spray water bottle to wet the prepuce, and perhaps holding a nut to get the squirrel to sit up or stand up to get good aim with the water spray; then using a nut again to get the squirrel to stand up to get a good aim for sprinkle the sugar on also. And though it might take few rounds to be as effective as the sugar paste single treatment; over a couple of days it could accomplish the same outcome.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Birdperson (10-30-2021), Mel1959 (10-30-2021), stepnstone (10-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Just to note, though a bag of frozen peas cannot be used as it is in dogs with this same problem; yet using cool, not freezing water, can support cooling down the tissue to reduce swelling.

This treatment could potentially be accomplished without having to handle and restrict the squirrel; using a small adjustable flow spray water bottle to wet the prepuce, and perhaps holding a nut to get the squirrel to sit up or stand up to get good aim with the water spray; then using a nut again to get the squirrel to stand up to get a good aim for sprinkle the sugar on also. And though it might take few rounds to be as effective as the sugar paste single treatment; over a couple of days it could accomplish the same outcome.
    A very creative idea! I will try it today. It's made me think that maybe I can also get him to walk on a cookie sheet filled with sugar with a treat in the middle (unless he just climbs around it). Thank you!

PS-- as far as appetite goes, he ate a little more Henry's and was a bit more active today than yesterday.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Birdperson from:

Mel1959 (10-30-2021)

Just a side note here. Prolapses of various organs are commonly caused from straining in animals. In males, bladder stones are a common cause of a prepuce prolapse, as the crystals can become lodged in the ureter that causes inflammation which causes the animal to strain in trying to expel them. In such cases the veternarian tries to dislodge the crystals near the tip of the penis. The diet is these cases is also altered to help to prevent further formation of the crystals.

And though the short time in captivity surely wouldn't be a potential cause of this squirrel's preexisting condition whatever that may be; it is important to know that both almonds and millet are two of the highest sources of oxalic acid in nuts and seeds, can contribute to the formation of bladder stones and infammation in the ureter.

English walnuts are considered moderate in oxalic acid; and pecans are near their value. Both can be made into a nut paste or nut butter.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Birdperson (11-19-2021), McCarthy (05-05-2022)

So Imp and I have spent the last few weeks trying to work together (and trying to find someone more qualified)!

BUT there's a new problem I need advice on: His upper left incisor is missing. I wish I could say when or how. I clean his cage carefully and never came across a piece of tooth. Sadly I don't even know if this happened before or during his stay with me. But today I got a good view of his mouth. There are 3 teeth (maybe even a bit long?) but there's not even a hint of the 4th (upper left). Now I'm worried the sinus stuff is tooth-related...? He was very scared of me the first few weeks so I tried to leave him alone as much as possible. I first heard the sneezing around week 3 but he could've been doing it all along. He continues to chew on a pine board daily.

Infection?: still sneezing but no dripping mucus in weeks. Still sleeps a lot but has spurts of impressive acrobatics.

Diet: appetite improved but still mediocre. Teklad balls are working better than anything else (thanks TubeDriver!). Coincidentally he stopped eating ANYTHING with almonds, so oxalate intake is much lower now (thanks Diggie's Friend!). Imp's current recipe is 60% Teklad, 40% walnuts, pear baby food as binder, and 165mg Henry's calcium added per day (since walnuts aren't ideal and droppings are still dark). I continue to fail experiments with Henry's blocks, etc.

Paraphimosis: spray and sugar has been impeded by him sleeping so much and me not having enough hands, but I think the area's less red.

Fun fact: he is NUTS for papaya! His love of papaya is why he comes face-to-face with me now. He's also a gentle boy who barely scraped his teeth on me when I accidentally got too close with papaya while trying to "sugar" him.

What now? Is it time to try antibiotics while we wait for the tooth to (hopefully) reappear? I now have amoxicillin-clavulanic acid (Augmentin) 500mg-125mg. I still have SMZ-TMP 800mg-160mg, prednisone 2.5mg, and infant ibuprofen drops. I tried various methods of getting his weight but the scale didn't like him moving around. He seemed average-to-large amongst his peers. I'm working on weighing him with a new scale.

I've had great success with administering his antibiotics to my old boy when he had his bad leg wound: I get the dosage in the syringe, then I dip the syringe in peanut butter. I don't put any IN the syringe... just rub some around the tip. Present it to him far enough that he can smell it, and when you see he realizes it smells great he'll put his lips around it himself and voilà! You squirt.
    Works every time with my boy.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Birdperson (11-19-2021), Chirps (11-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    I've had great success with administering his antibiotics to my old boy when he had his bad leg wound: I get the dosage in the syringe, then I dip the syringe in peanut butter. I don't put any IN the syringe... just rub some around the tip. Present it to him far enough that he can smell it, and when you see he realizes it smells great he'll put his lips around it himself and voilà! You squirt.
    Works every time with my boy.
    Thank you for that tip! That certainly sounds more pleasant for both parties. Should the syringe point upwards or down? Can I choke him if I do it wrong? Imp stopped eating peanut butter but walnut paste/butter would probably do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdperson View Post
    What now? Is it time to try antibiotics while we wait for the tooth to (hopefully) reappear? I now have amoxicillin-clavulanic acid (Augmentin) 500mg-125mg. I still have SMZ-TMP 800mg-160mg, prednisone 2.5mg, and infant ibuprofen drops. I tried various methods of getting his weight but the scale didn't like him moving around. He seemed average-to-large amongst his peers. I'm working on weighing him with a new scale.
    I should clarify that I don't have dosing instructions for any of those medications (except some old info on SMZ-TMP for a different wild eastern gray that was assumed to be ~500g). And I also have BeneBac from Henry's (which Imp had with the brief SMZ course).

Quote Originally Posted by Birdperson View Post
    Thank you for that tip! That certainly sounds more pleasant for both parties. Should the syringe point upwards or down? Can I choke him if I do it wrong? Imp stopped eating peanut butter but walnut paste/butter would probably do the trick!
    Anytime I feed anything by syringe to a squee we point upwards. Since you would have a lvery small amount of liquid AB in the 1ml syringe it's unlikely that the fur ball would aspirate but always always remaining prudent is the best rule.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Birdperson (11-19-2021)

Squirrels can sneeze when they have dust or debris up their nose. Yet when they sneeze onto the pads of their forepaws and then wipe their face repeatingly, then rub their sides virgorously, and finally down to the end of their tailss in a frenzy; it is indicative of hyper state of excitement; usually from frustration where they become aggitated. We saw Ms. Diggie do this when she didn't get a nut right away, along with her making pee puddles from haivng to wait for a moment till I got her a nut.