Thread: Hi everyone! New flyer mom!!

Default Hi everyone! New flyer mom!!

Hi everyone, I'm a new flying squirrel mom , we rescued are little guy George while we were out for are family walks. We seen him laying on the ground so we picked him up took him home and nursed him back to good health, he was probably around 5weeks old when we found him by all the information I looked up . We are going on 4 wonderful months of having him in our family. I grown very attached to this little guy " he's spoiled " hahaha , I would love to know any information or tips to keeping him happy and healthy!

George gets 2 Henry blocks a day, fresh veggies and fruit, shelled nuts and he drinks his water out of a shallow dish ," he does not like the water bottle" .

My question today if anyone could give me information or advice is on his teeth. How long are his bottom front teeth suppose to be I feel like there to long but since I'm new to this I'm unsure . I tried looking up information but haven't really got the right answers . How do I know if he needs his bottom teeth trimmed? He has tons of stuff to chew on . Any information will be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Default Re: Hi everyone! New flyer mom!!

Hello Megan.

I think you would need to upload a picture of his teeth for someone to determine if they’re too long. I haven’t heard of flyers teeth growing too long, but I guess it’s possible, especially if the jaw is misaligned. Flyers are not big chewers like other squirrels, although mine does chew limbs in his cage.

Please be very careful of the number of nuts you feed. Because flyers are so little it doesn’t take much to upset their calcium to phosphorous ratio within their bodies. This is what results in metabolic bone disease and can be fatal.

Here is the link for the healthy diet for flyers. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ying-Squirrels

Thank you for replying! He only gets 2 hard shelled nuts to chew on , some times he doesn't even bother with them. But I do offer him nuts that aren't in the shell a couple times a week mixed in with his food.

I haven’t heard of flyers needing teeth trims either but if maloccluded I’m sure it’s possible.
    Just make sure the teeth don’t poke the palate or cause injury to the mouth by making contact inside the mouth.

I'm going to try to get a picture of his teeth and try and post it.

What is everyone's favorite bagged food that they feed daily.
    I'm trying to switch mine he currently get squirrel complete by exotic nutrition and Henry's healthy blocks

I only feed Henrys blocks along with veggies, fruits from the healthy flyer diet. My guy also gets yogurt daily and sometimes formula. My guy gets half a block at night and half a block in the early morning.

Exotic Nutrition usually has very suspect ingredients. If your guy/gal is eating Henrys blocks then all you need to provide are veggies, limited fruits and a protein source.

Here’s the healthy diet for flyers: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ying-Squirrels