Thread: Is this Squirrel Pox?

Default Is this Squirrel Pox?

This is the first time I’ve seen something like this in one of my wilds. Is this squirrel pox? If so, how does one go about obtaining and administering Acyclovir?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Default Re: Is this Squirrel Pox?

Yes it definitely is. Acyclovir, also known as valtrex, is given out for any of the herpes related viruses and for shingles in humans so people may have it in their medicine cabinets and you can make a lot of squirrel meds from a few tablets. You could treat him a few times a -day with a dose of acyclovir on a tasty piece of nut.

8Do you provide a water source that this poor guy drinks from? Because there is an over the counter herbal supplement called Nutriferon that you can order from Amazon and and treat the water he drinks with it. Other than that the best thing you can do is provide good nutrition and clean water and hope that his little immune system takes over and beats this thing.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Grinderhead (10-25-2021), lilsquirrelly (10-25-2021), Mel1959 (10-25-2021), TubeDriver (10-25-2021)

If you can’t locate any acyclovir, send me your address in a private message and I’ll send you some.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

lilsquirrelly (10-25-2021)

Thank you so much for your helpful answers. Do either of you know how a squirrel even contracts squirrel pox to begin with? I’ve never seen one in my area with this condition.
    Thanks again 😊

It is transmissible by direct contact with the lesions (squirrel to squirrel) or can be transmitted by mosquito/flea bites. It is not zoonotic, so people can NOT get sick from this virus.

If you have feeders or provide water in your yard, you will want to clean out the feeder and water bowls daily. Clean with soap and hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsquirrelly View Post
    Thank you so much for your helpful answers. Do either of you know how a squirrel even contracts squirrel pox to begin with? I’ve never seen one in my area with this condition.
    Thanks again 😊
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (10-25-2021), lilsquirrelly (10-25-2021)