Thread: Winter release?

Default Winter release?

I have questions about releasing a young wild mouse that I raised after we found her abandoned in our basement. We made it through the night feedings and all that and I'm happy to say that she seems quite healthy and is doing well. From what I've read, by the time she is old enough to be released, it'll be winterish here in the Midwest. Can I release her at that time of year (late November) or would it be best to keep her until the weather is a little nicer?

When I first found her, she bonded to me and seemed to enjoy my company, was very active and curious in her little house, etc. A few days ago, shortly after she opened her eyes, she changed a bit. She seems much more anxious/nervous with me, only seems to be active at night or when people aren't around, and won't take any food from me. Luckily, she is eating well on her own foraging for the food I scatter and drinking formula from a little dish. Anyway, the reason I mention all this is that prior to the personality change, I wouldn't have worried as much about keeping her over winter if needed. But with her behaving the way she is now, I am concerned that being here is making her unhappy or stressing her out and she would do best joining the wild mice as soon as possible.

The wildlife rehabilitators in my area have been unresponsive and I've gotten great advice from this board in the past, so I'm hoping you can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Winter release?

I raised two little mice that I intended to release. But at some point, we decided to keep them since they seemed happy and the life of a wild outdoor mouse is short and hard. They were super cuddly when young but once they matured, they could no longer be handled outside of their cage. They would hop in our hands for treats when we reached in but they would not let us pet them. They both lived to be almost 6 years old and seemed to really enjoy their mousey lives in our home.

I would say that releasing this mouse at the start of a MidWest winter would be very hard on the mouse. I would overwinter it and release in the spring. If the mouse seems happy over the winter, you may even decide to keep him. Unlike squirrels, little mice seem to make pretty good pets IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Browke07 View Post
    I have questions about releasing a young wild mouse that I raised after we found her abandoned in our basement. We made it through the night feedings and all that and I'm happy to say that she seems quite healthy and is doing well. From what I've read, by the time she is old enough to be released, it'll be winterish here in the Midwest. Can I release her at that time of year (late November) or would it be best to keep her until the weather is a little nicer?

When I first found her, she bonded to me and seemed to enjoy my company, was very active and curious in her little house, etc. A few days ago, shortly after she opened her eyes, she changed a bit. She seems much more anxious/nervous with me, only seems to be active at night or when people aren't around, and won't take any food from me. Luckily, she is eating well on her own foraging for the food I scatter and drinking formula from a little dish. Anyway, the reason I mention all this is that prior to the personality change, I wouldn't have worried as much about keeping her over winter if needed. But with her behaving the way she is now, I am concerned that being here is making her unhappy or stressing her out and she would do best joining the wild mice as soon as possible.

The wildlife rehabilitators in my area have been unresponsive and I've gotten great advice from this board in the past, so I'm hoping you can help me out. Thanks in advance!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Browke07 (11-06-2021)

Default Re: Winter release?

Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions. Winters here can be brutal, so I tend to agree with you.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Browke07 from:

TubeDriver (11-06-2021)