Thread: Mange, ring worm, or formula burn?

Default Mange, ring worm, or formula burn?

Hello I have been trying to diagnose these new symptoms/ sores on Roxy, she's a young eastern grey.
    The first sore started out on the top of her head which look like a circular red spot and of course she scratched at it so it bled a little. I thought maybe it was just from formula like maybe I missed a spot during her washing so I treated with a small amount of neo but then a couple more spots have emerged looking the same way, rounded in shape and red. Once the red fades it some what looks like the start of mange to me but I'd like to be sure before treatment.
    Its a bit hard to tell in the photo cause she doesn't like to sit still but the newest spot is on top of her nose.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Mange, ring worm, or formula burn?

Wow, she’s very light colored. She doesn’t look like any eastern gray I’ve ever seen. Adorable.

As for the spots. Ringworm can be treated with an over the counter ointment for athletes foot or yeast infections. It is persistent and you must be consistent putting the medicine on. In between applications cleanse the area with a diluted betadine solution adding a little water so it looks like strong tea. There’s no need to rinse in between, but allow to completely dry before applying the anti fungal medication.

The spot in this photo doesn’t look red at all. Squirrels have been known to rub the hair off of parts of their nose, neck or head when they go in and out of a nest box or some other hard surface. Or stick their noses through cage bars.

Default Re: Mange, ring worm, or formula burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Wow, she’s very light colored. She doesn’t look like any eastern gray I’ve ever seen. Adorable.

As for the spots. Ringworm can be treated with an over the counter ointment for athletes foot or yeast infections. It is persistent and you must be consistent putting the medicine on. In between applications cleanse the area with a diluted betadine solution adding a little water so it looks like strong tea. There’s no need to rinse in between, but allow to completely dry before applying the anti fungal medication.

The spot in this photo doesn’t look red at all. Squirrels have been known to rub the hair off of parts of their nose, neck or head when they go in and out of a nest box or some other hard surface. Or stick their noses through cage bars.

When I first got her she had barely any hair but was about 5 weeks old she was very malnourished almost emaciated and when her fur started to come in she was basically silver with a white fluffy underside. She just recently started to turn golden on top.
    The spots/sores are bright red when they show up could be just from her scratching but they quickly fade and dull down with the help of cleaning and antibiotic ointment. And we made sure every spot in her cage is baby proof so I'm a bit stumped right now. Hoping it is just ringworm and not mites.