Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Felix my new pal

Default Photo of the garden house area

Here is a photo of the garden house where we want to move him - it has many trees (as does all our yard)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Felix my new pal

evidence of trees in our yard as well as neighbors back yard full of big trees. He just has to go over there and find them.

He has been visited by many squirrels daily and I don't know if he is following them into the other yards or not. I just know that he is playing a lot on the patio, napping and sleeping in his release cage nest box as well as the nest box we put in the tree by the patio(crepe myrtle)

Default Felix's cage moved to garden house area

This morning we moved the release cage (with Felix locked into it) and his nest box that was in the nearby tree - to the Garden house area - further away from our courtyard.

So far after much adjustment, hammering and propping up - he is happily crawling around on the ground searching for sunflower seeds and whatever else. We will see how things go.

For a few minutes - he did find his way back to the courtyard patio and searched up and down the crepe myrtle where his nest house used to be. He gave up though and when I came back to the window he had returned to the garden house area.

I am wondering if I should go out there and put food into the release cage at all anymore - i don't want him to follow me back to the house area!

Where did you put his nest box? Is it somewhere he can find it? Is he returning to the release cage for food? If so then I’d continue to provide him food. It may take him a little while to adapt to his new location.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

ddhall (03-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Where did you put his nest box? Is it somewhere he can find it? Is he returning to the release cage for food? If so then I’d continue to provide him food. It may take him a little while to adapt to his new location.
    His nest box is in a tree about 4 feet away from the release cage - I will try to get a pic - but right now I don't want him to see me anywhere near his cage because he will run up to me and go with me back toward the house.

I don't think he has found the next box in the tree yet - I put some new bedding at the entrance and it has not moved.

We saw him near the courtyard twice - once he was outside the fence digging all around hosts that are coming up - he really dug and dug too. Then he disappeared and we haven't seen him anywhere for a couple hours - I think he's back in his release cage.

I will not know if he's in his release cage unless I get right at it and peer in - it's turned so that I can't see the entrance to the box easily. I put some picky blocks and Mazuri block this morning when we moved it. He still drinks from his water bottle (and at our bird bath too) so I am going to keep it filled.

You MUST close the access of the release cage at night if he is in there or he may get surprised INSIDE his cage by a predator. And that would be a disaster. Close it at night after it is dark and open first thing in the morning.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

ddhall (03-31-2022)

Does the cage have a small 3" X 3" portal or by leaving open do you mean a large cage door?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

ddhall (03-31-2022)

Hi you two,

Thank you for all of your concern - it means a lot to me right now especially! the opening is 3"x 3" and I have been leaving it open since opening it on Monday.

I am attaching new pics of his new location - I hope you can follow it - please ask questions or give any advice!

New development - you cannot make this stuff up: We have high winds today and it has been drizzling. Felix went up into the crepe myrtle by the courtyard looking for his missing next box, climbed up very high, and is now (as of 3 hours ago) stuck up there and refuses to move. I resorted to talking to him again (trying to quit) but he will not come down. I went out to his new box and called him because it is in full view from the crepe myrtle -

A squirrel stuck in a tree? No one but you guys would believe me or understand why I might be concerned.

I can't think of anything I can do - too much invasion of his wildness.

Default Felix up a tree

So I forgot to send a pic of my little Felix(he's really a chunk) up a tree.

Default Felix came down!

After a long, windy afternoon - Felix decided to scurry down the tree slowly but successfully. He is just not an acrobat yet - and I know he was afraid of falling. Still - he did come down - as things were starting to darken up - I am really glad he decided to come down because we actually have a tornado watch and one touched down in the Raleigh RTP and mowed down trees - moving this way. It has not been this windy in at least a year.

He disappeared again while I tried to get my armor on quickly to go out and guide him back to the new area of his cage and nest box. I looked for him one more time before giving up and there he was on the patio eating succulents and chasing off another squirrel.

I went out the front door (so as not to make him want to come in the back door) and started calling him to follow me - and he came running. He climbed up on my shoulder , ran around my legs, play bit my fingers(with his favorite gloves on) all the way to the cage area. he jumped off and on to sample the dirt and sunflower seeds I had dropped earlier along the stone pathway to the garden house area.

It all went well and when we got to his cage he hesitated and was distracted but he stayed near me. I made noises on the cage so he would remember it - and then saw a pecan on the ground that I had brought out earlier.

I picked it up, put it near the 3 inch opening and he went for it! I dropped it quickly inside and instead of going in the hole he went along the outside of the cage until he got to the corner where the nut was . He tried and tried to get it - and I decided that was a good time to sneak off.

I am sure he will go in - he loves that house inside with all the bedding he prepared himself.

I left successfully - he didn't follow or come to look for me -

I feel a lot better and am so glad I don't have to worry about where he is tonight in this storm!

He was not showing any signs of fatigue or scratches from the 3 hour adventure in the tree either.

one more day of freedom for Felix!!

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (03-31-2022), McCarthy (05-31-2022)

Default Friday Felix report

So - I think I'm using this as the release diary now.

I am not feeling really great about Felix's situation right now - but that is because he can't communicate with me on a daily basis anymore and of course I am very worried about him.

I woke up and piddled around trying not togo out and check on him first thing this morning (8 AM) when my husband informed me that Felix was back up in the tree by the courtyard. I went to the window to look out at him and he was coming down the tree. He played around the courtyard for a little while then I left the window to do some things - for my other life - daughter's birthday in another town tomorrow for one.

We didn't see him for the next couple hours and actually went out on the courtyard to do some things like water plants, clean, etc. and he still didn't show up - we really didn't see many squirrels around at all - none at the two feeders either. The weather was beautiful - no strong winds, sunny and light breeze - but no squirrels.

I finally decided to sneak up from a different direction on the release cage and see if he was in there. I needed to check his bottle of water and see if he had eaten the blocks and nuts I had left him last night anyway.

He was in his cage - stuck his head out to show me but stayed in his nesting box (inside the cage) and I quickly put food in (dropped it) through the 3 inch hole - he came out and sat on top of his next box to see what I was doing but didn't make any sounds. I left without talking to him.

i was so relieved to see that he made it through the dark night with no moon without any visible problems.

Long story short - I think he stayed in the release cage sleeping or resting all day. He never came out - even to feed at dusk - unless I was busy and just missed it - which is very likely since the cage is not visible from the house now - it's on the other side of the garden house. There were lots of other squirrels feeding between 4:30 and 7 pm as they usually are. No Felix though.

He has to be wilding up and reserving his contact with me too - usually he would greet me and climb all around wanting to get out. After hanging on for dear life in those high winds yesterday for over 3 hours I bet he did need to rest! I am hoping that is the reason - my husband and I were worried that he is depressed and sad that we threw him off the patio and out into the yard -

This is hard - but I am confident that he is loving being FREE!!

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (04-16-2022), Mel1959 (04-02-2022), Taz2020 (04-02-2022)

Hi everyone,

Well, Felix has not been seen at all since April 1st. Absolutely no sightings by my husband or me. We have looked off and on daily as much as anyone with a life could be looking around our yard through binoculars from certain windows that show great views of the neighbors yards beside us too.

If he is in our neighborhood - he could be in the woods near the river which is in the back yards of the houses across the street. The whole area is full of very tall, large trees and perfect environment for wildlife of all kinds. He's got it made - unless of course....predators.

I am baffled that he just abruptly disappeared, after sleeping in his release cage for a few days after being released.

What made him just vamoose like this? I just can't believe it!

I hope he is alive out there somewhere!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (04-16-2022), sundoesshine (04-17-2022)

The pain of success.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

ddhall (04-17-2022), sundoesshine (04-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by ddhall View Post
    What made him just vamoose like this? I just can't believe it!

Kids move on and away, no matter the species or race.

I moved 6,000 miles away, with the Atlantic in-between. The grass is indeed greener on the other side.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

ddhall (04-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    The pain of success.
    I actually do feel better reading this

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Kids move on and away, no matter the species or race.

I moved 6,000 miles away, with the Atlantic in-between. The grass is indeed greener on the other side.
    But he was just 6 months old! Wagon train moving West I guess - he hitched his wagon to a star and who knows where he is - probably come home one day with a whole new family and move back into the release cage that I will probably never clean out or move!

Thanks McCarthy

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

sundoesshine (05-31-2022)

Grey squirrels are clan animals. Felix likely found a clan that accepted him. Now he has a leader and brothers and some females in one big squirrely family. He may surprise you by returning when he is older. My main guy, Jimmy, did, completely unexpected, and he stayed for the rest of his life, seven years, completely his own squirrel and leader of a pack of 8 or 9 males and three females. Grey squirrels are not loners.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

Chirps (05-31-2022), ddhall (04-20-2022), sundoesshine (05-31-2022)

Hi all,

I miss this group! I have not seen my Felix at all since the last time I posted here. I think my last time with him was April 1st. We have so many squirrels in our neighborhood but I mostly see the same 4 or 5 families in my yard every day. Not my Felix.

I still hope that he is just a few yards up or in the woods along the river which is across the street and behind the houses across the street.

I drop in to see the new babies people are posting about and I thank you all again for the work you do to save squirrel lives.

See you again soon!

Denise

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (05-31-2022), McCarthy (05-31-2022), sundoesshine (05-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by ddhall View Post
    We have so many squirrels in our neighborhood but I mostly see the same 4 or 5 families in my yard every day. Not my Felix.
    Maybe Felix had to make a big move because of all the established squirrels around you. I so feel your pain, or longing is more like it for me. My guy over the course of the year sloowly weaned me off of seeing him thankfully. I swear he knew it was hard on me so he got me veery used to him disappearing for long stretches, then popping in for a week or two then taking off again etc etc, so I learned not to worry. I swear he returned after this winter once or twice; he had no discerning marks but acted like a wilder version of himself, so I just pretend it was him. I miss just having him sit in my palm soo much. Even after he wilded up (veery fiercely), I'd stick my hands out the slider door with my "play" gloves on and he'd stay there all day if possible. I even stole a few kisses and whifs of his back I'm in Co and would give anything to visit someone that has a NR or even has a wild that you can touch. There don't seem to be many members around here but if there are, please feel free to dm me if you want to show off your wildlife friends or just talk squirrel. Tina

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Chirps (05-31-2022), ddhall (05-31-2022), McCarthy (05-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    I even stole a few kisses and whifs of his back I'm in Co and would give anything to visit someone that has a NR or even has a wild that you can touch. There don't seem to be many members around here but if there are, please feel free to dm me if you want to show off your wildlife friends or just talk squirrel. Tina

Try to bond with some local and wild greys in a park. You know my story. If you invest enough time on a very regular basis, they will become 100% tame and let you sniff and handle them.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

ddhall (05-31-2022)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast