Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Felix my new pal

Default Felix aspirated milk today :(

Felix is 6 weeks old today!

He looks great - weighs 152 grams, is eating fairly well (some feedings 8 or 9 ml. and some 3 ml.) Today he was in a big hurry eating and became messy - I think since his teeth are in he is having trouble latching Ono to the syringe and/or just in a hurry.

Now I KNOW that he aspirated milk at his last feeding - he stopped sneezed a couple times and I saw a little milk around his nose. I immediately turned him upside down and patted his back consistently checking now and then for more milk. I saw it a couple more times but never a lot of milk. Still - this to me is aspirating - correct?

I have a stethoscope and am checking him on the hour for any sounds like clicking. I have not heard anything yet.

Is there anything else I can do?? when will I know that he is out of the woods - I am also looking for the other signs - lethargy, loss of appetite.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Default Re: Felix my new pal

Just keep watching for the signs of AP. Just because he blows milk out of his nose does not mean he aspirated into his lungs. Just watch. Are you still feeding with 1 cc syringe?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

stepnstone (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Just keep watching for the signs of AP. Just because he blows milk out of his nose does not mean he aspirated into his lungs. Just watch. Are you still feeding with 1 cc syringe?
    so far it's going well - Felix is rambunctious and eating like he's starved every feeding - I have spaced his feedings out to every 5 hours and that must be the reason. He also shows no signs of AP - thankfully - I have a stethoscope and listen often. So far so good. He loves his out of crate time also and runs around a little - mostly though - he wants to climb my leg and sit in my lap.

The Tekland block came today so I gave him one in his crate - he immediately started nibbling on it. His teeth are in - he play bites me and that is how I know.

He eats from a 3cc sometime and I also use the 1cc still -no problems with either one except he is a little messy now - used to be slow and neat.

Thank you for your help!

It sounds like Felix is doing well. That makes me happy. How is he walking? Is he using the back legs better? I would love to hear that he is doing less of the shuffle walk.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It sounds like Felix is doing well. That makes me happy. How is he walking? Is he using the back legs better? I would love to hear that he is doing less of the shuffle walk.
    Felix is hanging by his toes from the little branch I suspended in the top of his crate!He also is very active after his meal time in his crate as well as when he has running around time - loves to climb my legs and sit in my lap and play with my fingers as I rub him. He's seemingly very happy.

The Tekland block is his favorite thing to gnaw on - those teeth! Sometimes I think he's older than I thought - but I still judge his age by the fact that his eyes were closed to almost two days after we got him - then they opened overnight and in front of me!!

He is completely different now about eating - cannot get it fast enough and stands on his back legs to eat. I still support his upper body by holding it as he eats. He's messy now and loves his bath afterward. I am a little concerned because I don't see him pooping a lot - his tummy is soft and doesn't seem at all constipated?

Thanks for the request for an update - he is getting older and smarter all the time!

The outdoor cage is ready - only it will be an indoor/garage by a window cage for the winter. He will not be released until spring. My studio (I am a painter) is above the garage so I will see him all the time.

Im confused about weaning - when to start and what foods - starting to read about all that since next week he will be 7 weeks!

Denise

We let them decide when they want to wean from formula. As he begins to eat more block and veggies he will naturally cut down on his formula consumption. It’s best to let him decide.

At 7 weeks he should be eating some block, which you said is Harlan Block. You can begin to add some veggies to his cage. I’d begin with kale and broccoli. Here’s the healthy diet link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Does he walk better than he did?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    We let them decide when they want to wean from formula. As he begins to eat more block and veggies he will naturally cut down on his formula consumption. It’s best to let him decide.

At 7 weeks he should be eating some block, which you said is Harlan Block. You can begin to add some veggies to his cage. I’d begin with kale and broccoli. Here’s the healthy diet link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Does he walk better than he did?
    Your question about his walking - I observe him and see him stand up to walk but a lot of times he is staying low - maybe because he can't go very far. In the jacuzzi (which is our indoor one we don't really use anymore) I have some towels for traction for him. He hops around in there but still is careful and stays sort of low.

He climbs up my legs while I am sitting on the edge of the jacuzzi and has no problem. He also sits up to eat. I will watch him more carefully when he is covering some ground walking in the jacuzzi next time. I think I will put him on the floor of the bathroom next and see if he is comfortable enough to run around without hiding.

Also - thank you for the diet link - I do already have that saved and will start next week - he is going to love it!! Eating veggies - I can already tell!
    My grandson is in another town and so far I have taken Felix with me the last two times I have visited - he needs to get weaned so I can leave him at home in his new cage and my husband can stay behind to feed him. Right now - I am the only one feeding him until he is weaned.

I just wanted to update and share a couple of photos of Felix!
    He has grown so much and continues to thrive, weighing 236 grams now and beginning to self wean.
    Felix enjoys his Mazuri block and is also learning to like kale and broccoli. I’m still trying to feed him his formula every 5 or 6 hours but he sometimes skips a whole feeding.

He loves his water bottle and also loves chewing on wood

I have introduced him to his release cage for exercise and play time. He seems to really love it but comes to me when I tell him it’s time to go back inside.

When he has free out of cage time he just wants to crawl all over me and sit on my shoulder and play with my hair. Sometimes nibbling on my ear!

Needless to say. Felix is so lovable and here are a few pics of him now.
    Our journey continues happily!

I hope I posted the photo this time!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

Chirps (11-13-2021)

Is it time to release Felix?

I am in a quandary about when to move Felix outside and start the soft release process. He was born in October, fell out of a tree and we rescued him from the driveway on October 15th. He has been thriving and growing very well since then. He was put into his large release cage in December and has been living in our garage going out and in (rolling cage) as the weather has permitted as well as time out of that cage in the garage area with supervision by me of course.

We live in Eastern North Carolina and the weather the past few weeks has been really warming up. There are no leaves on the large trees yet but our flowering trees are starting to bud and even bloom (some cherry trees and pear trees almost to bud out.) He has been eating all of them as I put branches in his cage every day so he knows all the wild stuff in his yard. We have a rural acre along a river and he has lots of oaks, poplars, sweetgum, maples and yards all around with nice bushes and ornamental trees.

We want to roll him out to a small garden house with an overhang - we can roll him out halfway so that it will rain into his cage when we want it to. Also we can put his extra nest box nearby on the side of a couple of nearby trees -

I just don't know when to start - do I watch the 10 day forecast for consistent warmer weather - that is already happening? Or do I wait for more leaf show? I am just nervous about this.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ddhall View Post
    Is it time to release Felix? We live in Eastern North Carolina and the weather the past few weeks has been really warming up. There are no leaves on the large trees yet but our flowering trees are starting to bud and even bloom (some cherry trees and pear trees almost to bud out.) He has been eating all of them as I put branches in his cage every day so he knows all the wild stuff in his yard. We have a rural acre along a river and he has lots of oaks, poplars, sweetgum, maples and yards all around with nice bushes and ornamental trees.

We want to roll him out to a small garden house with an overhang - we can roll him out halfway so that it will rain into his cage when we want it to. Also we can put his extra nest box nearby on the side of a couple of nearby trees -

Thanks!
    I live very near where NC/GA/SC all come together (Lake Hartwell area).

Now is a good time to place him into his release cage. I will be preparing to open the portal for my over-winters (they spent the winter in the outdoor release cage) in 7 - 10 days from now. As you say this is a rolling cage, you need to make sure it is "racoon proof". And is it rigged with a small portal... about 3" square / round which a squirrel can pass through but not raccoons and the like? Make sure the next box(es) inside are not located near the portal... you do not want raccoons reaching into the cage and being able to get to the nest boxes.

You want a 3 or more day window when it will not be extremely cold, extremely wet and no thunderstorms... at least that is my standard OP.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

ddhall (03-03-2022), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

I have a roof that completely covers my release cage and I have siding on portions of it because I have to run sprinklers in my yard. My released squirrels have done fine when released without ever having been rained on while in the RC. I would be concerned about them getting wet and chilled if there’s no way for them to get out of the rain in your RC. Squirrels really don’t like getting wet.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ddhall (03-03-2022), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have a roof that completely covers my release cage and I have siding on portions of it because I have to run sprinklers in my yard. My released squirrels have done fine when released without ever having been rained on while in the RC. I would be concerned about them getting wet and chilled if there’s no way for them to get out of the rain in your RC. Squirrels really don’t like getting wet.
    Hi Mel,

Thanks for the reply!

Our release cage will go under an overhang porch (small porch) leading into the garden house - and can be rolled completely out into the sun or completely under the awning - I am pretty sure my husband will place a piece of something on top if needed to keep the rain out. He has never been rained on - shouldn't we leave it partially out in the elements the first 2 weeks? I was thinking the first 2 weeks that the little opening should stay closed also.

I need to reply to Spanky too - with a couple questions.

Thank you so much for all your continued help! I could not have done it without you all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I live very near where NC/GA/SC all come together (Lake Hartwell area).

Now is a good time to place him into his release cage. I will be preparing to open the portal for my over-winters (they spent the winter in the outdoor release cage) in 7 - 10 days from now. As you say this is a rolling cage, you need to make sure it is "racoon proof". And is it rigged with a small portal... about 3" square / round which a squirrel can pass through but not raccoons and the like? Make sure the next box(es) inside are not located near the portal... you do not want raccoons reaching into the cage and being able to get to the nest boxes.

You want a 3 or more day window when it will not be extremely cold, extremely wet and no thunderstorms... at least that is my standard OP.
    Hi Spanky,

So I thought that "leaves visible on the trees" was very important - ours are barely budding and look bare (the large trees) Of course there are squirrels everywhere in our yard and neighborhood - but they are not raised in captivity! ha.

We did have an owl kill a squirrel in our yard a few weeks ago and I was traumatized thinking of innocent Felix - we also have a couple of stray cats that wander through at night - no way to get them moved either.

What time of night do you go out and shut the little door opening? Right now Felix goes to bed in his box before nightfall - like around 5:30 or 6 pm - he's also gotten sort of fat! Too much avocado I think.

Felix has never had a nut on a regular basis - a couple of pecans (out of shell) and maybe an almond. Of course his main diet is Henry's Picky Blocks and a few Wild Blocks, with Mazuri blocks. Also he eats wild branches, pansies (his favorite), dandelion leaves and flowers, lettuces, celery and avocado, etc. My husband thinks I need to give him about 5 or 6 sunflower seeds at a time plus some nuts assorted in the shell right away. He will have 2 sunflower feeders to climb and eat on if he knows about sunflower seeds. Any advice?

Thank you again for all your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddhall
    So I thought that "leaves visible on the trees" was very important - ours are barely budding and look bare (the large trees) Of course there are squirrels everywhere in our yard and neighborhood - but they are not raised in captivity! ha.
    The tree canopy to provide cover is good, but so are the multitude of other squirrels... makes it more difficult for a predator to go unnoticed. And if you place Felix out now... for three weeks (24/7) before opening the portal ("soft release") there will be a canopy by mid March. Especially if you have poplars.

What time of night do you go out and shut the little door opening?
    Once the portal is opened, it is left open. How large is the release cage you are using?

The first few evenings I like to go out and make sure anyone returning can find their way back into the cage. The first few days can be stressful, as a lot of them spend the first couple days on the ground exploring... The ones that take to the trees right away I worry less about.

- a couple of pecans (out of shell) and maybe an almond. Of course his main diet is Henry's Picky Blocks and a few Wild Blocks, with Mazuri blocks. Also he eats wild branches, pansies (his favorite), dandelion leaves and flowers, lettuces, celery and avocado, etc. My husband thinks I need to give him about 5 or 6 sunflower seeds at a time plus some nuts assorted in the shell right away. He will have 2 sunflower feeders to climb and eat on if he knows about sunflower seeds. Any advice?

Don't change his diet.. continue to feed him what you have been feeding him in the cage. What he finds outside exploring... nuts, seeds, sprouts, whatever... great! As a singleton he may stick around for a long while and beg treats from you. Be careful about that if you have neighbors because he may pester them. As a male, he may not stay around long or he may even disappear for days/weeks/months only to show back up occasionally.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

ddhall (03-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The tree canopy to provide cover is good, but so are the multitude of other squirrels... makes it more difficult for a predator to go unnoticed. And if you place Felix out now... for three weeks (24/7) before opening the portal ("soft release") there will be a canopy by mid March. Especially if you have poplars.

**Good news - thanks! And... I will put him out in a few days - there may be one more cold night in the next 3 days. I did not know that you aren't supposed to shut the opening at night during soft release - I thought you continued to shut them in overnight for the first 2 weeks after the 3 weeks of acclamation in the beginning. I will do what you suggested then. (she says sheepishly)

Once the portal is opened, it is left open. How large is the release cage you are using?

The release cage is 2 ft. x 4 feet x 7 ft (tall)

The first few evenings I like to go out and make sure anyone returning can find their way back into the cage. The first few days can be stressful, as a lot of them spend the first couple days on the ground exploring... The ones that take to the trees right away I worry less about.

Don't change his diet.. continue to feed him what you have been feeding him in the cage. What he finds outside exploring... nuts, seeds, sprouts, whatever... great! As a singleton he may stick around for a long while and beg treats from you. Be careful about that if you have neighbors because he may pester them. As a male, he may not stay around long or he may even disappear for days/weeks/months only to show back up occasionally.
    Yes, I have heard most of this on the board - and I worry about what he will do of course - I also wish there were some way to know who he is - he has no outstanding markings that make him stand out - good for him but not easy for me to identify him. I'm sure if a squirrel runs up and lands on my shoulder I will know it's him.

Quote Originally Posted by ddhall View Post
    Hi Spanky,

We did have an owl kill a squirrel in our yard a few weeks ago and I was traumatized thinking of innocent Felix - we also have a couple of stray cats that wander through at night - no way to get them moved either.

What time of night do you go out and shut the little door opening? Right now Felix goes to bed in his box before nightfall - like around 5:30 or 6 pm - he's also gotten sort of fat! Too much avocado I think.

Felix has never had a nut on a regular basis - a couple of pecans (out of shell) and maybe an almond. Of course his main diet is Henry's Picky Blocks and a few Wild Blocks, with Mazuri blocks. Also he eats wild branches, pansies (his favorite), dandelion leaves and flowers, lettuces, celery and avocado, etc. My husband thinks I need to give him about 5 or 6 sunflower seeds at a time plus some nuts assorted in the shell right away. He will have 2 sunflower feeders to climb and eat on if he knows about sunflower seeds. Any advice?

Thank you again for all your help!!
    Spray the cats with a super soaker water gun when you see them. An air horn like what is carried on a boat for distress is a good tool to have close by to use to startle any owls or hawks. They can actually feel the air waves if you point it at them.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

ddhall (03-03-2022)

Also probiotics help with regulating when they are switched. Even if you use a person capsule, break it open and just put a tiny pinch in the formula. I tried a different goats milk formula than usual while waiting for the fv by mail. By the next day I was not seeing it work well. As soon as I went to the simple formula I added extra probiotics and we were clear in 24 hours. I know yogurt has it but a pinch of extra is good when digestion is off for understandable reasons.

Just to be more clear, a tiny pinch in the full amount of formula you mix to feed for 24+hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer View Post
    Also probiotics help with regulating when they are switched. Even if you use a person capsule, break it open and just put a tiny pinch in the formula. I tried a different goats milk formula than usual while waiting for the fv by mail. By the next day I was not seeing it work well. As soon as I went to the simple formula I added extra probiotics and we were clear in 24 hours. I know yogurt has it but a pinch of extra is good when digestion is off for understandable reasons.
    This thread is about a fall 2021 that is now being readied for release, not a baby on formula...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast