Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Felix my new pal

Default Re: Felix my new pal

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How often are you feeding? It might be time to space the feedings a little further apart. I do think FV is richer than Esbilac so it may be keeping him full longer.

If he’s 6 weeks old now is the time to introduce a rodent block. He should be eating a rodent block very well before any other foods are introduced. Most squirrels love Henrys Picky Eater or Hazelnut blocks. Or you can purchase another type hard extruded block like Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018 or Mazuri rodent block. If you offer Henrys I would cut it in half or quarters until you see him actually eating it. There will be less waste that way.
    I really do think he was 4 weeks when we found him since his eyes were still closed but they opened after 3 days. He is chewing on the leaves (oak and turned brown now and crunchy) in his cage sometime. I have rodent block but not any of those brands - order from Henrys. He just ate 5 1/2 ML at his noon feeding and is snoozing away after a big play around his crate (plastic bin- ha) He loves his new space -so big compared to the first one.

PS - my husband has started building his 6 foot tall release cage already! I hope he will be able to use it instead of wintering over in captivity.

thanks again!

Felix has not been interested in eating very much the last two feedings - 8 pm and I bumped up his last of the day to 11 pm since he didn't eat at all at 8 . Maybe I am not insistent enough but I can't push it into his mouth more than enough to push out a drop - I do not want to force feed or accidentally aspirate.

He ate about 2 MLs at his 11 pm feeding. He wanted to snuggle up and sleep wrapped in his little blanket the way I always feed him. I did try to feed him standing without the blanket but he ws squirmy, not interested at all. I checked to make sure the formula was warm enough and I think it was. I cap the vials and keep them in warm water or put them in a foldover heating pad set on medium.

On the other hand - he is gaining weight really well - today he weighs 117 grams (yesterday he weighed 109 grams. I just hope he doesn't lose it from skipping meals.

I am wondering if he is trying to wean himself? Surely not!

He is not clicking - definitely have listened up close to his chest many times during the day today and yesterday. No other signs of AP either.

Go to 6 hr intervals. Do not let him wean. At 117g he should be enthusiastically taking 10mL easily. As they get older they take more and more. You usually have to cut them off or they will overeat.

If he doesn’t increase his intake I would remove the branches and leaves from his bin. Is it possible that you’re feeding too slowly and he is getting frustrated? IDK, just a thought. What type of nipple are you using? How are you mixing the formula? 2 water to 1 powder, right?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-28-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Denise, I noticed in another thread you mentioned using cherry wood in a potty box. I don’t know of anyone else that has used cherry wood so I looked it up. I’m sure there are many types of cherry wood. I’m particularly fond of real cherry wood furniture. One thing I noted is that most parts of the tree are toxic to animals. Again, I’m not sure what type of cherry wood were talking about here BUT out of an abundance of caution I would remove the cherry wood chips. In my research I found that ‘real’ cherry trees produce hydrogen cyanide as a natural pesticide to protect themselves. Even the leaves are toxic.

Because Felix is displaying some ‘issues’ with his appetite let’s remove a variable to be safe. I would rather err on the side of caution.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (10-29-2021), ddhall (10-28-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022), Mel1959 (10-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Denise, I noticed in another thread you mentioned using cherry wood in a potty box. I don’t know of anyone else that has used cherry wood so I looked it up. I’m sure there are many types of cherry wood. I’m particularly fond of real cherry wood furniture. One thing I noted is that most parts of the tree are toxic to animals. Again, I’m not sure what type of cherry wood were talking about here BUT out of an abundance of caution I would remove the cherry wood chips. In my research I found that ‘real’ cherry trees produce hydrogen cyanide as a natural pesticide to protect themselves. Even the leaves are toxic.

Because Felix is displaying some ‘issues’ with his appetite let’s remove a variable to be safe. I would rather err on the side of caution.

I have just been able to get online to check in with a few questions and report some good news about Felix and his eating habits. HRT4SQRLS, I removed the cherry wood chips this morning and had not even seen this post! I decided that I didn't like it - it was fragrant and I know that is a bad thing to start with - now this would really be horrible if he had begun eating them!! The idea of him using it for litter was not well thought out.

I am so glad I decided to redo his crate this morning and take out the leaves, litter and turn it back into cloths on the bottom that can be washed as he soils them. He seems happier without the leaves especially - there will be plenty of time for outdoor environments

Today Felix ate 5 to 6 MLs at every feeding - we will see how his last one at 11:30 pm goes. I am so glad that he did. I did a few things differently and made sure it was very calm and quiet around him, used a heating pad to keep the formula filled syringes warm - I really think the food has not been warm enough when he rejects the syringe! That won't be happening again. I warm the formula first in a small glass jar sitting in a hot water bath. I then fill 6 1ML syringes with the warmed formula , place them between a folded over heating pad set on warm and as I feed just pull the next one out.

Today Felix is weighing at 122 grams. He was at 70 grams at his lowest weight the day after we found him (October 16)

His claws are actually hurting me when he tries to crawl around on my arms and play - he's very strong and as much as I hate to wear a glove on both hands I think I might have to tomorrow -

I am a little concerned with the back legs and the way he sort of slides them along sometime. My daughter asked if I though he had a problem. I am not sure - maybe it is normal until he learns to leap or climb. He uses his legs to scratch, curl up in a ball, run around the cage and up and down my arm. I do have a video but don't know if I can post videos here.

I will update my album and maybe attach a picture of him today in the next post.

All in all - today was a great day for Felix

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (10-29-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-29-2021)

Go to 6 hr intervals. Do not let him wean. At 117g he should be enthusiastically taking 10mL easily. As they get older they take more and more. You usually have to cut them off or they will overeat.

If he doesn’t increase his intake I would remove the branches and leaves from his bin. Is it possible that you’re feeding too slowly and he is getting frustrated? IDK, just a thought. What type of nipple are you using? How are you mixing the formula? 2 water to 1 powder, right?
    I don't think I'm feeding too slowly - i push the syringe about every second and he sucks it down quickly - the only down time is when I grab the next syringe. I am off and on using a nipple with a long actual nipple that I had to redo the hole in the end. It still doesn't let the formula out quickly enough. I may order the mini from Henry's. I've been looking at them thinking I need to.

I wish he would stay with it long enough to drink 10 ML - I can't imagine it! He shakes his head back and forth and absolutely refuses after 5 or 6 - sometimes he eats 7 but that is rare. I am trying and any advice is welcome. This part is stressful for me also. He likes to be wrapped up in a microfiber cloth to keep warm while I feed him - I've tried just letting him stand on the table (with a cloth)and he can't focus and be still to eat. I wish he would!

The formula is mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts warm water the night before and refrigerated . I use it within 24 hours. (Fox Valley 20/50) He loves it.

Thank you for any and all ideas, recommendations, etc. very very much!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

HRT4SQRLS (10-29-2021)

I’m happy that things went well for you and Felix today.

In order to post a video you first have to download it to somewhere like YouTube and then copy the link to your post. A video would be helpful if you really think he isn’t using his rear legs correctly.

I’m glad you removed the wood chips and leaves. I’ve never had a problem with squirrels making a nest out of leaves when they’re released in spite of having fleece in their cage. I provide cut fleece squares for my yard squirrel nest boxes, too and they seem to like it.

Some squirrels are very particular about formula temperature. I’m glad you figured that out about Felix. He’s still eating on the low end of amounts. I hope he will gradually begin to eat a little more for you.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

ddhall (10-28-2021)

Mel1959,

Thank you - I will upload the movie to my youtube and leave the link here.

I do hope he will keep increasing his intake of formula - today was much better than yesterday so there is hope that he continues to increase a little day by day. i will not let him wean until he is supposed to.

The felt is a great idea - I have it in my dog crates and I will cut some for using in Felix's crate tomorrow.

He is really a great little squirrel - I just want to do everything I can to prepare him for living outside eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ddhall View Post
    I don't think I'm feeding too slowly - i push the syringe about every second and he sucks it down quickly - the only down time is when I grab the next syringe. I am off and on using a nipple with a long actual nipple that I had to redo the hole in the end. It still doesn't let the formula out quickly enough. I may order the mini from Henry's. I've been looking at them thinking I need to.
    I wouldn’t order the mini Miracle nipple. He would hate it. It is much too short for a big boy like Felix. The regular Miracle nipple would be perfect. They look very long but baby squirrels seem to love them.

Amazon sells fingerless gloves that help save your hands.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-29-2021), island rehabber (10-29-2021)

https://youtu.be/R3ETk-Eh1o0

This is the link to my youtube video of Felix walking around his new crate today. Thank you for viewing!

Denise

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

stepnstone (10-30-2021)

Ughh, that is not a normal baby squirrel walk. It looks like a Metabolic Bone Disease walk.
    How long has he been on Fox Valley? Let’s review a few things. How long have you had him? I know he was on Esbilac.

Has he always had this ‘shuffle’ walk?

Ughh, that is not a normal baby squirrel walk. It looks like a Metabolic Bone Disease walk.
    How long has he been on Fox Valley? Let’s review a few things. How long have you had him? I know he was on Esbilac.

Has he always had this ‘shuffle’ walk?
    I have had him since October 15 - found him on the concrete driveway and assumed he fell from the oak tree beside driveway - branches hang over the driveway pretty high up. His brother and sister also fell or were put there by something within the next day - deceased when we found them both - no blood or apparent injuries - very strange. Felix was alive and dehydrated but easily hydrated again. There was a little blood around one nostril but that was all.

I think he always sort of shuffled - but he is so on the move now and can crawl up to the top of that little stool we put in his crate - maybe he was injured with the fall but he never cried or seemed in pain except the first day he did cry for his mom a few times.

He was on Esbelic powder (dated after Oct 2021) for about a week before the Fox Valley arrived - he also drank Esbelic canned the first 2 days we had him and that is when his diarrhea started and I joined the squirrel board and became educated.

If he already had MBD at the age of 3 weeks (his eyes were closed when he was found) that would be strange wouldn't it??

I have had him since October 15 - found him on the concrete driveway and assumed he fell from the oak tree beside driveway - branches hang over the driveway pretty high up. His brother and sister also fell or were put there by something within the next day - deceased when we found them both - no blood or apparent injuries - very strange. Felix was alive and dehydrated but easily hydrated again. There was a little blood around one nostril but that was all.

I think he always sort of shuffled - but he is so on the move now and can crawl up to the top of that little stool we put in his crate - maybe he was injured with the fall but he never cried or seemed in pain except the first day he did cry for his mom a few times.

He was on Esbelic powder (dated after Oct 2021) for about a week before the Fox Valley arrived - he also drank Esbelic canned the first 2 days we had him and that is when his diarrhea started and I joined the squirrel board and became educated.

If he already had MBD at the age of 3 weeks (his eyes were closed when he was found) that would be strange wouldn't it??
    He wouldn’t have had MBD with his mother. This is not something they get in nature. I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t an Esbilac ‘issue’. He wouldn’t be calcium deficient in 7-9 days even if the Esbilac was suspect. This is probably due to an injury. Let’s see if the rehabbers think he might benefit from prednisone. I wanted to make sure as prednisone would be contraindicated for MBD. I’ve asked some rehabbers to watch the video.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ddhall (10-29-2021)

That slipper makes such a nice nest! So cute!

My little one would refuse and shake her head when she was done with formula, no convincing her otherwise. But she preferred no nipple at all, rather early on, and would lap it up drop by drop, rather than suck on it much.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pocket Full of Posy:

ddhall (10-29-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Here is another video of him grooming and using his back legs. He was just climbing in the crate effortlessly but a little clumsy like I would think a baby squirrel would climb

https://youtube.com/shorts/tkR9FCEsZ1g?feature=share

Looks fairly normal in that last video

Here is another video of him grooming and using his back legs. He was just climbing in the crate effortlessly but a little clumsy like I would think a baby squirrel would climb

https://youtube.com/shorts/tkR9FCEsZ1g?feature=share
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

ddhall (10-29-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Looks fairly normal in that last video
    He does look much better in this video.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ddhall (10-29-2021)

Here is a video of Felix playing after his noon feeding. After an AP scare on my part, I no longer think I hear clicking. I have a stethoscope that my daughter left here and listened to him breathing and his heart rate. I did not hear clicking. https://youtube.com/shorts/QajA9QoNxBI?feature=share

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

HRT4SQRLS (10-31-2021), stepnstone (10-30-2021)

Happy Halloween everyone!

A little report on Felix's progress. I think he is doing great!

He is eating more at his feedings - at least 6 Mls and sometimes like this morning first thing - 9! He was hungry from all night long without a feeding. I have noticed that he is playing more now - exploring his crate and finding things - like a branch to climb up on and most importantly - his water bottle.

He plays and drinks from the water bottle a lot - I am happy that he's getting water because as I have read - it helps with digestion of the formula. loves that water bottle and probably the little noise it makes when he licks the dispenser ball.

I do not hear any clicking and he is strong and active as well as so sweet when I carry him from his crate and wash him and play with him a little. I do not let him run free anywhere yet - still trying to figure out the place I will do that with him. A bathroom is my best choice so he doesn't get lost or under something I may not be able to get him out of!

Just a little update with no paranoid worries from me! He is doing great and I am so happy about it!

32. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (10-31-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-31-2021), Mel1959 (11-01-2021), Pocket Full of Posy (11-01-2021), stepnstone (10-31-2021)

The Water Bottle

Felix seems to be completely smitten with his water bottle. I hear it a little too often and now - I think it might be interfering with his already sketchy formula intake

He drank only 3 Mls twice today (not in a row) but drank 9 Mls for his first feeding of the day (after 8 hours of me sleeping). He already is unpredictable with his feeding - loses interest and wants to get away while feeding sometime and I am thinking he is getting his tummy full sometime with the water.

His tummy is not tight but it is full usually - but soft. He is urinating and pooping normally as far as I can tell - he has his own little litter container that I put him in after he eats and sometimes in between times during the day. I can see when he goes there.

Am I wrong to take away the water bottle at all? Should I take it out certain times of the day and then put it back?

Just a reminder - he is eating every 4- 4 1/2 hours except at night - from 12 to 7 am or so. Eating Fox Valley 20/50 formula and there is a block in the crate that he sometimes is chewing a little - he has sharp teeth right now that he tests out on me also! This is a rodent block I got at a pet store but I am going to order Henry's Picky eater block I think next.

Thanks for any advice!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast