Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Felix my new pal

Default Re: Felix my new pal

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    Maybe Felix had to make a big move because of all the established squirrels around you. I so feel your pain, or longing is more like it for me. My guy over the course of the year sloowly weaned me off of seeing him thankfully. I swear he knew it was hard on me so he got me veery used to him disappearing for long stretches, then popping in for a week or two then taking off again etc etc, so I learned not to worry. I swear he returned after this winter once or twice; he had no discerning marks but acted like a wilder version of himself, so I just pretend it was him. I miss just having him sit in my palm soo much. Even after he wilded up (veery fiercely), I'd stick my hands out the slider door with my "play" gloves on and he'd stay there all day if possible. I even stole a few kisses and whifs of his back I'm in Co and would give anything to visit someone that has a NR or even has a wild that you can touch. There don't seem to be many members around here but if there are, please feel free to dm me if you want to show off your wildlife friends or just talk squirrel. Tina
    I can relate to all you've said here - even though I've not had the same exact experiences - all of ours are unique and different - yet we have the common thread of being fortunate enough to have had a bonding experience raising a wild animal and releasing them back to the wild - where they belong.

Because my Felix has not been back (or I think I know what he looks like and acts like and haven't seen him) I had to get used to this cold turkey. I also worry that an owl got him the first few days he was gone - no basis except we had an owl scoop up a squirrel in our yard once this year - devastating! Felix was still a baby in his inside crib. I still have that image in my mind though and know that we have owls along the river and love them!

I watch our squirrels through my windows that overlook my side yard and neighbors back where all the tall oaks and poplars are all times of the day when I can - it's my favorite pastime. I know who is related to who - and they all come to our yard to the feeders full of sunflower seeds (and sometimes argue)

McCarthy - I think you're the king of making friends successfully with wild squirrels - please keep posting pics for us to see! So wonderful!

If my Felix, with the bright white fur behind his ears , ever comes to visit me again - you guys will be the first to know!

Denise

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (05-31-2022), sundoesshine (05-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Grey squirrels are clan animals. Grey squirrels are not loners.
    I suppose I could look this up somewhere, but would rather a quick answer from anyone if they know.

So you mentioned grey squirrels. Does that mean that fox squirrels aren't included in that clan like behavior? Just curious as we have fox squirrels here, and they seem to be mostly loners from what I've observed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    I suppose I could look this up somewhere, but would rather a quick answer from anyone if they know.

So you mentioned grey squirrels. Does that mean that fox squirrels aren't included in that clan like behavior? Just curious as we have fox squirrels here, and they seem to be mostly loners from what I've observed at least.

The ground-dwelling squirrel species are social, often living in well-developed colonies, while the tree-dwelling species are solitary.

While most squirrels live in colonies or groups, called a scurry, some like the grey squirrel, are entirely solitary creatures. They may share a den if weather gets really cold, but generally hate their guts. The only reason their territories overlap is due to high density of squirrels in most habitats.

I see it every day. They all mark me and my camper, claiming it to be their territory only, and they all fight over it. Only a mom may tolerate their offspring for a while but sooner or later she will also chase their own kids away.

Greys are especially aggressive and territorial, its the main reason why they have displaced the native squirrel population in the UK. The British hate and hunt the greys for their dominance and rather anti social behavior. In my book they are true fighters and survivors.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

ddhall (06-15-2022), sundoesshine (06-01-2022)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456