Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Felix my new pal

Default Felix my new pal

Quote Originally Posted by Krista85 View Post
    My friend called me and had me get a baby squirrel from her house because she knows my love for animals. I’ve had her 3 days and I’ve been researching a lot, but I’d like reassurance that she is healthy and that I’m doing good with her. I think she’s about 5 weeks old. Her eyes are open, bottom teeth are in, and top teeth can be felt. She just sleeps ALL THE TIME and I have to wake her for feedings that’s she falls asleep during. She’s going potty on her own. I have pics of her too. She will only eat about 2.5mL before going to sleep and no longer being interested in eating.Attachment 319933
    Hi Krista,

I am new to the board as I have had the same thing happen!

My little boy squirrel looks like yours but still has his eyes closed. We found him (and his two deceased siblings) in our driveway under a very tall sycamore tree - no sign of a nest either) I've also done a lot of research and also fed him Pedialyte the first 2 days then introduced Esbilac/pedialyte mixture - but all we could find was canned Esbilac.

Today I found the powdered and it is mixed (small amount) and in the fridge for 2 hours or longer.

He has some diarrhea that I am now only giving him Pedialyte for - I think it came about from the canned Esbilac!! after reading a lot here.

I keep him bathed off and he is sleeping between feedings and staying warm and cozy in his crate (I made the standard one from plastic bin, heating pad underneath.

I am so worried about this diarrhea and hope when I weigh him again he is not losing weight. I want to introduce the new powdered Esbilac soon - and would love to get advice from the rehabbers here. He is so healthy and there was not one scratch or even a bit of dirt on him when we found him. Amazing.

He loves his feeding time - I follow instructions on how to feed and he is doing great. He sometimes does fall asleep at the end of the 3ML syringe but also sometimes tries to crawl away up my arm quickly! He's very strong also.

Thanks for any feedback and lets keep in touch with these two - and their progress.

Denise

Default Re: Help with baby squirrel found alone

Hi Denise, I’m sure the liquid Esbilac did cause the diarrhea. It always does. Hopefully the powdered puppy Esbilac will resolve the problem.

to The Squirrel Board

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-18-2021), island rehabber (10-28-2021)

Do not mix the powdered Esbilac with pedialyte. Mix it with very warm water. If you th8nk hydration is in order because of the diarrhea hydrate BETWEEN feedings, not in place of feedings.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ddhall (10-18-2021), KCullen (10-28-2021), redwuff (10-19-2021), stepnstone (10-18-2021)

HRT4SQRLS AND MEL1959,

Thank you so much for your reply - I've been running back and forth to the laptop today to see if anyone was out there for me!

I have been using Pedialyte since last night at 9 pm and saw steadily less diarrhea - and stopped the canned Esbilac altogether last night at 6 pm.

So today I fed him the powdered Esbilac mixed 1 part Esbilac (mixed prior to this with water 1:2 ) and 2 parts warm water at 4 pm. He is 77 grams now (started at 83 grams on Saturday when I first weighed him). He has a little runny poop on his private area and a little dot or two in his bed -

I usually feed him about 3 hours apart and skip more during the night when I am sleeping - I do get up to check on his warmth/heating pad and water bottle situation though.

i'm wondering how I should continue with the formula/pedialyte tonight.

Thanks again for all the information I am finding on this board - it is overwhelming! Good for me though!

Denise

Here is a baby squirrel guide that will be helpful. It’s 6 pages long.
    https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Normally a baby that size wouldn’t need feeding through the night. Because of the diarrhea you might do it tonight to stabilize him and then discontinue night feedings when stable. I usually feed a baby that size late before going to bed and then get up early for the AM feeding. During the day you can do 4 hr intervals. Are the eyes open?

I wouldn’t feed formula every 3 hrs. You want the formula to move from the stomach before new formula is added. Too frequent feedings can cause bloat. If you want to give Pedialyte between feedings you can do that.

We will need a pic of your baby.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ddhall (10-18-2021)

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

ddhall (10-18-2021)

HRT4SQRLS,

I feel better about the schedule now - and will space out to 4 hours gladly! So far after his first feeding of formula since I got the POWDERED Esbelic instead of liquid at 4:00 pm no sign of any diarrhea and he is resting and happy and warm(of course).

I will give him 5ml of formula (he weighs 77 grams now) at 8:00 pm then again at midnight.

Kristen - I feel like I have hijacked your thread! I will start a new one for Felix tomorrow.

Tried to post a pic but it never loaded - maybe because I am new I can't post pictures yet?

Thanks again for the great advice!

Denise

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

Mel1959 (10-18-2021)

ADMIN… please move ddhall posts to a new thread. Denise, what would you like for a title for your new thread?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ddhall (10-18-2021)

Default Re: Felix's Very Own Thread

Done... sent dd a PM with the URL. We can rename it if she'd like (post the new name).

Edit: Updated thread title as requested...
    Last edited by Spanky; 10-19-2021 at 08:12 AM.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

ddhall (10-18-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-18-2021), Mel1959 (10-19-2021)

Default Re: Felix my new pal

HERE is a photo of my little Felix - taken today before his noon feeding.
    Today his eyes are open! Last night his right eye only was open - he can see me now!
    Today he is feeling better - no more diarrhea and he is eating a little more Esbilac/water at each feeding.
    He is really sleeping a lot and when it's feeding time he is eating like he's starved - he's in such a hurry!
    If I slow him down he looks around and gets distracted. I keep him wrapped in a microfiber towel snugly while feeding.
    He seems to really like being like that - he makes all kinds of happy sounds while eating - so so cute!
    Any feedback is very welcomed! Thank you, Denise
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

Chirps (10-20-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Just precious.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-19-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Update and a few questions about my Pal Felix,

Felix and I are still working together to make his life as easy as possible - finding our way although sometime a little rocky.

He continues to learn to eat his formula and today was a breakthrough - he is really sucking and swallowing his Esbelic/water very efficiently. He was not really eating much and falling to sleep during feeding up until today. This caused him to eat less than I wanted him too of course - 4 ml. usually and sometimes 5 or 6. He weighed 70 grams yesterday and I was getting concerned. He also has not had a solid poop since Monday - its yellowish and gel like.

Today his poops are further apart and his weight is 75 Grams - eating very well (5-6ml. at each feeding 4 hours apart).
    He is drinking water with a drop of honey (2 or 3 Ml.) about an hour after his feeding because I read somewhere that that would help in digestion of the Esbelic. I'm not sure I like Esbelic but I am waiting for the Henry's 20/50 to arrive (supposedly saturday from Amazon )

He is fluffier, stronger, more playful but still sleeps in between feedings quite a lot. He startles a little when I open his cage top now. His tail is curling up over his back now and it is bushier!!

I bought some goats milk today - should I alternate feeding him this ? I am worried that he is not getting calcium -

Thanks for feedback!!

Denise

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Felix is right on target for formula intake. We feed 5-7% of the body weight per feeding. At 75g that would be between 3.75-5.25 mL per feeding. Of course as they get older they will take greater than the 7%. That is normal. The extra water is not necessary unless he is showing signs of dehydration. When they are dehydrated you will see tenting of the skin when it is pinched up on the shoulders.

They do sleep a lot when young. They basically eat, sleep and poop just like a human baby.

As long as Felix is taking formula, calcium is not a concern (unless the formula is defective). Don’t get me started on that. It’s when they stop formula that calcium is a bigger concern.

I personally don’t like Esbilac either but many are using it. I prefer the FoxValley 20:50. When it arrives we will help you incrementally transition to the FV. You really can’t switch back and forth between formulas. This will cause diarrhea. I’m not sure how you can use the goat milk without causing problems. You can try adding a tiny bit to the formula. It is highly digestible but watch for loose poop. I would discontinue the sugar water.

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-21-2021), KCullen (10-28-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022), Mel1959 (10-21-2021)

Red face Re: Felix my new pal

Felix is growing and seems to be very happy with his environment (a plastic bin with warm clean cloths and a covered water bottle :

Today my Fox Valley Day One 20/50 arrived. I need to know the best way to transition from the Esbelic formula he is eating now. So excited to get this and hope it helps him grow and thrive as well as I have read it will.

Thanks everyone on this board for all the valuable information I have found while being a new member here. It is helping me so much gain knowledge and confidence for taking care of Felix.

So my question is - How do I transition from the Esbelic to Fox Valley tomorrow? Should I mix it up the way it says on the package and refrigerate it for use tomorrow?

Thanks!

Denise

Mix the Esbilac per the instructions. (2 parts water to 1 scoop of powder.) CONTAINER #1
    Mix the Fox Valley per the instructions. (2 parts water to 1 scoop of powder). CONTAINER #2

In CONTAINER#3:

Mix 75% Esbilac with 25% FV, feed a couple feedings.
    Then,
    Mix 50% Esbilac with 50% FV, feed a couple feedings.
    Then,
    Mix 25% Esbilac with 75% FV, feed a couple feedings.
    Then,
    100% Fox Valley and the transition is complete.

If the stool becomes loose or diarrhea starts at any point slow down the transition. They usually do well with the transition so I don’t expect any problems.
    Yes, I would let the initial Formulas sit for at least 4 hours before using.

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-25-2021), island rehabber (10-28-2021), KCullen (10-28-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Felix is growing and very strong! He wants out!

Thank you HRT4SQRLS for the transition instructions - I did find them Saturday night on a great thread and began his transition at the last feeding of the night (midnight). He is now at the 1/2 each formula point - loose poops but getting better.

I will upload a few pics later today when I have a break - he is growing so much! Weighs 97 grams!

We are building his next container cage and starting on his soft release - even though it is weeks away.

Thanks to all of you for your threads and pictures that are getting me through this the best way possible!!

Denise and Felix

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ddhall from:

McCarthy (03-16-2022)

Default Felix is not eating well today

So it's a roller coaster ride - this baby squirrel mothering...

Today Felix only had 2 ml. Fox Valley 20/50 for his last two meals. He drank 6 milligrams at his breakfast time and 5 at the next but the afternoon and dinner feeding at only 2 syringes (2 mls) and absolutely was not interested in eating anymore. He wanted to explore and then go back to napping in his new large crate.

He doesn't act any differently - like he's sick - seems perfectly strong and healthy - climbing and loving his baths after eating. I'm wondering if now that the Fox Valley is full strength - that he doesn't like it. Or - am I not heating it up enough with the hot water bath.

Is this normal? I, of course, am worried.

By the way - he weighed 109 grams this morning - he has been steadily gaining weight. I surely hope he isn't going on a hunger strike!

Should I be introducing fruits and vegetables? He could be 5 weeks old going on 6 at the end of this week-

Thanks!

Denise
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How often are you feeding? It might be time to space the feedings a little further apart. I do think FV is richer than Esbilac so it may be keeping him full longer.

If he’s 6 weeks old now is the time to introduce a rodent block. He should be eating a rodent block very well before any other foods are introduced. Most squirrels love Henrys Picky Eater or Hazelnut blocks. Or you can purchase another type hard extruded block like Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018 or Mazuri rodent block. If you offer Henrys I would cut it in half or quarters until you see him actually eating it. There will be less waste that way.

32. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ddhall (10-27-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-27-2021), KCullen (10-28-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022)

I get very concerned when a young baby squirrel decreases the intake of formula. I can overlook ONE day but if that continues today, it is a red flag. I doubt he doesn’t like the FV. It is a bit more filling than the Esbilac so maybe it’s that. Pick Felix up and put him next to your ear like a phone. Listen very closely for a clicking sound. Clicking (even faint) is a sign of aspiration pneumonia. He would need to be treated ASAP. I’m hopeful your next post is that he was perfectly normal today with a hardy appetite. Just to be on the safe side it’s good to have an antibiotic on hand in case it’s needed. See what you can find. It only takes one pill. We can dose it if needed. Most people have a few random antibiotics left over.

Wait until he is taking his formula well, then give him either Henry’s Health block or a commercial rodent block. Block should be the first solid food. After that I would give veggies like kale, broccoli or sugar snap peas.

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ddhall (10-27-2021), McCarthy (03-16-2022), Mel1959 (10-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I get very concerned when a young baby squirrel decreases the intake of formula. I can overlook ONE day but if that continues today, it is a red flag. I doubt he doesn’t like the FV. It is a bit more filling than the Esbilac so maybe it’s that. Pick Felix up and put him next to your ear like a phone. Listen very closely for a clicking sound. Clicking (even faint) is a sign of aspiration pneumonia. He would need to be treated ASAP. I’m hopeful your next post is that he was perfectly normal today with a hardy appetite. Just to be on the safe side it’s good to have an antibiotic on hand in case it’s needed. See what you can find. It only takes one pill. We can dose it if needed. Most people have a few random antibiotics left over.

Wait until he is taking his formula well, then give him either Henry’s Health block or a commercial rodent block. Block should be the first solid food. After that I would give veggies like kale, broccoli or sugar snap peas.
    Well - Felix decided at his 11:30 pm feeding that he would return to his 5-6 ML formula intake - he was hungry and ready to eat!

I was so worried after that second time of taking only 2 syringes of formula. He really is so strong and building up his legs and active when awake - I don't know why he wasn't interested - except I do think the food (which I keep mixed in the fridge) wasn't quite warm enough - I probably didn't warm it in the water bath long enough before feeding. This last feeding it was very warm.

Its time right now to feed him - I will report back if he doesn't take at least 5. He has never taken more than 7 and that is rare - usually 5 or 6.

Many many thanks HRTs4SQRLS

Denise

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ddhall:

HRT4SQRLS (10-27-2021), KCullen (10-28-2021), Mel1959 (10-27-2021)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast