Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremely weak and lethargic, cloudy eye, no appetite, won't leave bed box

Default Extremely weak and lethargic, cloudy eye, no appetite, won't leave bed box

Greetings,

I have two 11 week old gray squirrels (black) that I have raised from about 4 wks. A little over a week ago I spoke to a rehabber in the area - Northern Michigan. On the advice I received on this forum, I thought I had to keep them inside for the winter because it was late in the season. The rehabber, with 30 yr experience in this area, really tore me a new one. She insisted that I take the cage outside and then let them roam at about 12 weeks. All was well for a bit, then they escaped while I was cleaning and didn't come back til the next morning. Since then the health of the female (Nugget) has slowly been deteriorating.

Her right eye has become blue and cloudy, and I don't think she can see out of it. She has no energy and refuses to eat anything but a few walnuts and 3-4cc of formula once or twice a day. She won't leave the box anymore, and when I put my hand in to check on her she clings to me and doesn't want to let go. She seems to be fading fast and I'm afraid of what I'll find when I go out in the morning. Her poops seem ok, but since there are two of them, and the cage is outside, it's hard to track their potty habits. They are litter trained, and she sometimes seems to chew on the paper ferret litter. The ingredients for the litter is simply "100% clean virgin paper."

Name:  cage-outside.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  126.0 KB

The male (Bean) seems fine, although there may be a blue cast to his eyes - or I'm imagining it because I'm a worried mama. They are in a big cage with a nice wood box filled with fleece fabric strips which keep them warm and quite dry. For a couple of nights they were in a plastic storage bin while my husband built the box (see pic). They did chew on it a lot, and I'm afraid she may have ingested some plastic, but the cardboard box we used in the house had to be replaced because it has been raining for days.

I feed them Henry's squirrel blocks but they really don't like them much. They mostly eat walnuts, meal worms, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes and cauliflower. For I treat I was giving them a grape or a bit of avocado. I offer lots of other things but they are very picky. She had a great appetite and kept taking formula even after he had pretty much weaned himself. Now she hardly eats at all and she feels so skinny. Today she would not come out of the bed box at all.

Please help! I've read a few things about the cloudy eye, but nothing really seems to fit all of her symptoms.
    Forever grateful,
    Rabs

Default Re: Extremely weak and lethargic, cloudy eye, no appetite, won't leave bed box

The rehabber that tore you a new one was wrong. Period. At 12 weeks it too young for them to be roaming... a couple weeks too early to be out in the release cage IMO, but no doubt way to young to be free roaming if you want to provide them the best chance of survival.

I am worried about the cloudy eyes, which is a sign of poor nutrition. Ditto the lethargy. Sounds like too many nuts, seeds and meal worms which are all calcium depleting foods.

Here is the healthy diet list:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

With his health waning, the chance of a fall release is out of the question IMO.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (10-12-2021), Mel1959 (10-12-2021), redwuff (10-12-2021), stepnstone (10-12-2021), TubeDriver (10-13-2021)

Default Re: Extremely weak and lethargic, cloudy eye, no appetite, won't leave bed box

Offer her formula from a bowl. It sounds like she needs some good nutrition. I’d cut out almost all the nuts and seeds. Continue to provide Henrys blocks, kale, broccoli, sweet potato, squash, sugar snap peas, apple, papaya (very healthy for them as far as fruits go) avocado (no skin or pit) and coconut chunks. The latter two provide additional fat and calories.

There is no hard and fast rule about release. Your little girl sounds like she’s not ready. To be safe and provide the best chance for both of them, I’d suggest over wintering them so they can stay together. It would be such a shame to release the boy and have him have to be on his own through your miserable winters and possibly not survive after all the time, effort and love you put into raising them.

It has been my experience that squirrels that are released at an older age have a far greater chance of survival. They are more savvy and wary as they get older.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

stepnstone (10-12-2021), TubeDriver (10-13-2021)

This is a BIG issue to consider. We have seen squirrels in the release cage bully a cage mate so bad, the bullied submissive squirrel nearly died. The alpha squirrel will prevent them from eating. They will retreat to the nest box and slowly starve to death. It sure sounds like what is happening. I would recommend you bring her in immediately. The cloudy eyes and no energy coupled with the retreat to the nest box sure sounds suspicious.

I would separate them until this issue is resolved.

Your diet is a bit questionable. They aren’t eating the block but they eat walnuts, mealworms and sunflower seeds. If this becomes their preferred diet, they are at risk for Metabolic Bone Disease. Meal worms are a high phosphorus food just like nuts.
    I would recommend you buy the Henry’s Picky Eater block or the Hazelnut block. Most really like those.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

stepnstone (10-12-2021), TubeDriver (10-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The rehabber that tore you a new one was wrong. Period. At 12 weeks it too young for them to be roaming... a couple weeks too early to be out in the release cage IMO, but no doubt way to young to be free roaming if you want to provide them the best chance of survival.

I am worried about the cloudy eyes, which is a sign of poor nutrition. Ditto the lethargy. Sounds like too many nuts, seeds and meal worms which are all calcium depleting foods.

Here is the healthy diet list:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

With his health waning, the chance of a fall release is out of the question IMO.
    I brought the cage back in and Nugget is already looking happier. I will only feed her Henry's picky block and formula for a few days, with some sweet potato, avocado and kale. Bean is not bullying her. They play (well they did before she got sick), and they eat together nicely. He is not nearly as picky as she is and is very healthy. Hopefully now that they are back inside I can monitor her better and get her to to eat right.

I have found this experience very frustrating and confusing. As with lots of others who find themselves suddenly raising squirrels, I know nothing. I'm trying to do a good thing and save a couple of beautiful little animals, but the conflicting information from so many experts makes me doubt everything I do, and every few days I am struck with guilt because another expert tells me I'm doing it wrong and I'm hurting my babies.

I'm doing my best. I'll do all I can to keep them healthy. I just wish I could know for sure who to listen to. I have a local rehabber telling me that if we keep them over the winter that they will never be wild and we'll have them forever, and you guys telling me to keep them inside til Spring. How am I supposed to know what to do?!

Frustrated and worried.
    Rabs

Rabs, I completely hear you and understand your frustration and concern about information and misinformation.

I think I speak for all of the admins on this forum. We like to err on the side of caution and to give the squirrel the best chance for survival in the wild. There’s probably almost a bazillion years of experience at rehabbing squirrels with all the admin folks, and other rehabbers, on this forum. They have found through trial and error what works best for nutrition and survivability with their four-legged charges.

Being told that a squirrel that is overwintered will never be able to make it in the wild is completely false. Folks do it on here all the time, because it’s in the best interest of the squirrel. We’ve also all had a situation where a recently released squirrel had to be brought back inside due to an injury, nursed back to health, and the release process started all over. This can equate to an additional many months in captivity. These squirrels still “know” that their life is in the trees and they are very anxious to be released into the trees. It’s their instinct.

I will say that there is an occasional squirrel that will choose life in a cage over life in the trees. It has happened, but those instances are few and far between.

Your little girl acting scared is her way of telling you she’s not ready. Come spring and she has matured, I can almost guarantee that she will be ready and willing for her life in the trees. The same for her brother. Having a companion when released increases the odds for survival and acclimating to their new life in the trees.

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (10-12-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-13-2021), redwuff (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-12-2021), stepnstone (10-12-2021)

Rabs, you’re doing a good job. It was YOU that detected Nugget was struggling. I’m sure your instincts told you that you needed to intervene. You have no reason to feel guilty. It was YOU that got them this far.

I know nothing about your area as far as climate. I live in FL where it is totally different so I can’t comment about the rehabbers advice vs here. What I do know is that fall babies are at a disadvantage. Everything needs to be perfect for them to survive. Depending on the type of tree cover, the trees might be bare. Bare trees make them easy prey. Food resources wouldn’t be plentiful like in the spring. Again, I don’t know your area. Do you get snow? Is it deep snow that lingers. I know you would probably support them with food after release. They would need that. When first released they aren’t skilled nest builders. Do they build dreys in MI or are they tree cavity dwellers during the winter? IDK.

I will unequivocally refute the information about them being too friendly for release if kept over winter. Squirrels are driven by powerful instincts. Even the friendliest squirrel will wild up and desire freedom. 99% of rehabbed squirrels can successfully be released whether they are overwintered or not. I only overwintered one. That was before I learned that virtually no one in central FL overwinters. She was a singleton but that girl wanted freedom. When released she was unwavering in her desire to be free. I will say that she did remain friendly for years. She was a happy wild girl that visited her mom occasionally. She would freely climb on me but I was NEVER allowed to touch her. She wouldn’t permit that because her wild instincts told her there were limits to human interaction. From my perspective it was a win-win situation. She was free but I got to enjoy her for about 6 years.

When you get conflicting advice, listen to your heart. I don’t know the rehabber that advised you so I have no opinion about that. I do know that not all rehabbers are created equal. I also know that some of the advice you got here was from VERY experienced rehabbers. I’m not one of those. My rehabbing is small time but I have learned a lot here. I have also learned that most of the information on social media is flawed so don’t even consider that.

12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (10-12-2021), Mel1959 (10-14-2021), redwuff (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-12-2021), stepnstone (10-12-2021)

Thank you all for your feedback and your understanding!

Nugget seems to be bouncing back a little. She has been out of the box more today and even wrestled with her brother for a while. Her right eye is still cloudy. This morning I thought the left eye looked bad too. She was squinting and it seemed a little blue, but now it is open and looks ok. Her coat is still dull though. She is eating kale, a little bit of formula and some Picky block (but not a lot of that - neither of them like it much). This is all I am offering them: block, kale, formula, sweet potato, and they each had 1/4 of a grape as a treat.

It looks like they will be wintering with us. Our winters are pretty hard. We are almost always below freezing, and sometime below zero, with lots of snow and mud. Yes, we would certainly be feeding them, but you're right, my heart tells me that they wouldn't make it. I have some creative ideas for building caged-in runways on top of our valances and hutch so they can run around without being loose. As you know, they can cause a lot of trouble in a very short time if unsupervised, but they can get really grouchy locked in the cage now, even though it is a nice big one.

I love these little furballs, but am not ignorant of the fact that I will be very happy when Spring comes.

And I won't be talking to that rehabber any more.

Your help and knowledge are deeply appreciated.
    Rabs

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rabs:

HRT4SQRLS (10-13-2021), Mel1959 (10-14-2021), TubeDriver (10-13-2021)

I'll just echo what has been said here before. You are doing a fine job, getting experience yourself and reaching out for help when needed. You got advice from some REALLY experienced squirrel folk here. Rodent block (like Henrys or Teklad 2014) needs to be the cornerstone of their diet, it (along with healthy veggies) will help them to get strong and healthy. Nuts should just be treats, I know that sounds odd with squirrels but it is the truth. It might take some tough love to get them switched over but it will insure their health. Keep up the good work and let us know how things go over the next couple weeks.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

HRT4SQRLS (10-13-2021), Mel1959 (10-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabs View Post
    I'm trying to do a good thing and save a couple of beautiful little animals, but the conflicting information from so many experts makes me doubt everything I do, and every few days I am struck with guilt because another expert tells me I'm doing it wrong and I'm hurting my babies.

I'm doing my best. I'll do all I can to keep them healthy. I just wish I could know for sure who to listen to. I have a local rehabber telling me that if we keep them over the winter that they will never be wild and we'll have them forever, and you guys telling me to keep them inside til Spring. How am I supposed to know what to do?!

Frustrated and worried.
    Rabs
    I apologize if my post seemed harsh, but please know it was not you that was frustrating me but a rehabber of 30 years allowing / recommending 12 week old squirrels roam freely. Compounded by the lunacy that overwintering will make them non-releasable.

The conflicting information does not help for sure, we have all been there at one time or another. A lot of us here don't agree with the way most (not all), but most) large rehab facilities operate. We get that over wintering dozens or even hundreds of squirrels is not always feasible...

I spent the better part of my first 3 decades living in Michigan, and while I never rehabbed in Michigan I have often posted on TSB that I don't know how I would handle a fall release schedule. However, I am certain I would not considering releasing compromised squirrels in the fall, and it seems your one baby at least warrants overwintering. You are doing the right thing for your babies, and I thank you for that. Give them plenty of time to wild up in the Spring and they will do fantastic when you release them I am certain.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

HRT4SQRLS (10-13-2021), Mel1959 (10-14-2021), TubeDriver (10-14-2021)

Thank you so much for your reassurance. We have accepted that they will be with us until spring, and I am glad. I think that now they are mostly eating squirrel block (Henry's) and just a couple of veggies - they do eat a lot of kale - that Nugget will be back in good health soon. Her eyesight is still poor, but her eyes aren't quite as blue as they were yesterday. I understand that it might take a while for her to be 100%.

In the next couple of days, when it is finished, I will send you pics of their new and improved home, which is going to be squirrel-fabulous! If we're going to have them all winter, they need room to run around unsupervised. I'm building them a system of play areas connected by tunnels and then back into the main cage. Should be great fun for them once completed!

Again - thanks for the help and understanding. This is a wonderful resource for newbies like me!
    Rabs

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rabs from:

Spanky (10-14-2021)

Nugget's energy is improving slowly, but here eyes are really worrying me. Here are some pics.
    Left eye 10-14:
    Name:  Nugget left eye 10-14.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  90.3 KB

These were taken this morning:
    Name:  Nugget left eye 10-16.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  Nugget right eye 10-16.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  147.6 KB
    Name:  Nugget swollen eyes 10-16.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  50.8 KB

She can barely see, and They seem so swollen compared to Bean's eyes. She is having a hard time playing with him, as she is at a serious disadvantage, so I have separated them for a few hours so she can rest without having to defend herself. They sleep together, and I don't think Bean is actually picking on her, just doesn't understand she is sick.

I am sticking to the recommended diet, and she is only eating Henry's block, romaine, kale, sweet potato, and some formula.

Do you think she will get her vision back?
    Thanks for your help!
    Rabs

Check out their new habitat!

https://betterdirection.com/Expanded...el-habitat.mp4

Rabs

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rabs from:

redwuff (10-16-2021)

Nugget's energy is improving slowly, but here eyes are really worrying me. Here are some pics.
    Left eye 10-14:
    Name:  Nugget left eye 10-14.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  90.3 KB

These were taken this morning:
    Name:  Nugget left eye 10-16.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  Nugget right eye 10-16.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  147.6 KB
    Name:  Nugget swollen eyes 10-16.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  50.8 KB

She can barely see, and They seem so swollen compared to Bean's eyes. She is having a hard time playing with him, as she is at a serious disadvantage, so I have separated them for a few hours so she can rest without having to defend herself. They sleep together, and I don't think Bean is actually picking on her, just doesn't understand she is sick.

I am sticking to the recommended diet, and she is only eating Henry's block, romaine, kale, sweet potato, and some formula.

Do you think she will get her vision back?
    Thanks for your help!
    Rabs
    Hi Rabs:
    I am going to need to verify what I am suggesting but, nevertheless, I wanted to comment on what I suspect is the cause of your Squirrel's "cloudy" eyes. Many animals including rats, rabbits, cats, and dogs have what is commonly called a Third Eyelid. The anatomical term is Nictitating Membrane. I really don't know for certain that Squirrels have these but as I mentioned, their close rodent relative, the rat, does. If Squirrels indeed do have Nictitating Membranes, the cloudiness of what appears to be the entire cornea may actually cloudiness of the Nictitating Membrane itself. Ordinarily, in animals possessing a Nictitating Membrane, the membrane is not constantly closed and stays retracted most of the time. What appears in your photos is a somewhat classic sign of persistently closed Nictitating Membranes. There are many potential causes for prolonged closing of the Nictitating Membrane. If what we are seeing is truly the Nictitating Membrane remaining closed it may be that there has been some problem with the tear film of the eyes or corneal irritation recently and that is why the Nictitating Membrane is closed. It may be advisable to try a brand of preservative free eye lubricating drops such as Lacri-lube, Systane Hydration and there are a number of others. Just try to ensure it is preservative free. I'll do some more research with the hope of determining whether or not Squirrels really have a Nictitating Membrane. If Squirrels do not have a Nictitating Membrane, the photos appear to show the entire cornea as being cloudy. This is major concern and even a prolonged closing or even partial closing of a Nictitating Membrane may indicate a significant problem. Ideally, a reputable and experienced Vet, or even an animal ophthalmologist; should see your Squirrel or at least your photos so they can render an opinion. In summary, Rabs, I'll do some more research regarding whether or not Squirrels have a Nictitating Memberane as this is what it appears to be but in the meantime, it cannot hurt to try some preservative free eye lubricating drops. Also, I would submit at least your photos to a Vet and/or animal eye specialist for their opinion. It may be that others on TSB know for certain as to whether or not Squirrels have Nictitating Membranes. There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience among the members on this Board probably someone here knows the answer!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Re

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

redwuff (10-16-2021)

I have been scouring the web for more info. Can't find anything about squirrels having Nictitating Membranes, and most mentions of squirrels having cloudy eyes seem to be about nutrition and hydration. I have not been able to find a vet anywhere near me that will see a squirrel, but I haven't called all of them yet. I'm going to just keep giving her a healthy diet and maybe I'll pick up some Pedialyte and put a bowl of that in there too. Most of the threads and articles I've read say that it can heal with time. The waiting is hard, though. I'm very worried about her vision, but at least her energy level has improved. Not 100% but probably 80%, and that might just be because she can't see where she's going.
    Thanks for everyone's help!
    Rabs

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rabs from:

redwuff (10-17-2021)

I have been scouring the web for more info. Can't find anything about squirrels having Nictitating Membranes, and most mentions of squirrels having cloudy eyes seem to be about nutrition and hydration. I have not been able to find a vet anywhere near me that will see a squirrel, but I haven't called all of them yet. I'm going to just keep giving her a healthy diet and maybe I'll pick up some Pedialyte and put a bowl of that in there too. Most of the threads and articles I've read say that it can heal with time. The waiting is hard, though. I'm very worried about her vision, but at least her energy level has improved. Not 100% but probably 80%, and that might just be because she can't see where she's going.
    Thanks for everyone's help!
    Rabs
    Hi Rabs:
    I haven't been able to find anything definitive about whether or not Squirrels have Nictitating Membranes yet either but I truly suspect they do and Nugget's photos show what appears classic for an extended Nictitating Membrane. Otherwise this is cloudiness of the the corneas themselves. There are many known and suspected causes of a cataract which is cloudiness of the lens which is inside the eye and obviously behind the cornea. Included in these possible causes for cataracts are certain nutritional deficiencies. What we are seeing in photos of Nugget is cloudiness of the corneas themselves, not the lens. The cornea is the clear front part of the eye that permits light to enter the eye and then pass through the pupil, the lens and then reach the retina where it causes nerve transmission to the vision centers of the brain. This cloudiness is relatively uncommon. I would strongly suggest taking Nugget to a vet that is trustworthy as well as experienced with Squirrels (or at least rodents) as well as eye conditions. I don't believe it is legal to keep a Squirrel in Michigan so please be careful and ensure that the place you take Nugget will not confiscate your Squirrel or reports you to the Game Warden. It may be that an experienced Squirrel vet and/or an animal ophthalmologist (eye specialist) would be willing to view your excellent photos and render an opinion without having to transport Nugget. If so, you could use someone quite far from you who is qualified and you won't need to look locally which sounds like it is posing some difficulty. Also, while you are awaiting contact with a vet and while your are giving nutritional support (both of which I commend you for doing and I commend you also for your care and love for Nugget!) I would like to suggest that you also place a couple of drops of preservative free eye lubrication drops onto Nugget's eyes to help with possible dry eyes. This will not be harmful and may actually be beneficial! In addition, one way you might be able to check for an extended nictitating membrane is to apply those drops onto the eye and then saturate a Q-tip cotton applicator with the same drops and then gently touch it to the ear side of the eye to see if Nugget might retract the Nictitating Membrane if there is one. These membranes originate on the nose side of the eye and then sweep across the eye to the ear side of the eye.
    Again, best regards to you and Nugget! Please let us know how things are going. Sorry for your frustration!
    SamtheSquirrel

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

redwuff (10-17-2021)

Squirrels do have a 2nd eyelid.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-17-2021), stepnstone (10-17-2021)

I see the question was for the 3rd membrane. This article explains that most mammals and rodents have a 3rd 'nictitating membrane;

yet in rodents this membrane is notably nonfunctional.

"The nictitating membrane in rodents is effectively nonfunctional"
    This article also includes information on other ocular structures in rodents.

https://veteriankey.com/comparative-...atory-animals/

If anyone is interested in links to files on blindness vs. a condition that appears to be blindness; you can send me a request for the links by PM.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I see the question was for the 3rd membrane. This article explains that most mammals and rodents have a 3rd 'nictitating membrane;

yet in rodents this membrane is notably nonfunctional.

This article also includes information on other ocular structures in rodents.

https://veteriankey.com/comparative-...atory-animals/

If anyone is interested in links to files on blindness vs. a condition that appears to be blindness; you can send me a request for the links by PM.
    Hello again Rabs:
    I do hope you are able to find a vet and/or an animal ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who will at least look at your photos of Nugget as soon as possible especially if the cloudiness actually involves the corneas themselves. This should be addressed by someone with experience and knowledge in animal eye disorders. I know that you are working on this. Please let us know how things are progressing!
    Regards to you and Nugget,
    SamtheSquirrel

You are all so kind and I really appreciate your advice. I have been contacting vets in a 150 mile radius but none will see wild animals. Not even the exotic pet vets. Your suggestion that I send the pics to a specialist is a great one!!! I will do that immediately! I have also contacted some other rehab resources by email, because most won't answer their phones, and usually have full voicemails.

Her general health is ok, but she is almost completely blind now. She has more energy than she did before adjusting her diet, and she has not had any nut treats for at least a couple of weeks. Poops are good, but she has also stopped using the litter box, at least sometimes, and actually peed in her food bowl this morning which is very unusual for her. I don't know why that would be. Her brother, who is crazy healthy, still wants to play rough, and she usually ends up on her back squeaking til he lets her up or I poke him! I tried separating them, but that upset her as much as it did him, and they both paced and complained until I took out the separator.

I will keep you all posted. It surprises me that it is so hard to get medical help for them. Thank goodness for people like you who can at least offer good advise.
    Gratefully,
    Rabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast