Thread: Rocky's Squirrel Mum

Default Rocky's Squirrel Mum

Hello from Virginia! Rocky literally dropped into our lives on August 28, 2021, as a 4-5 wk old. We kept him warm and fed and he appears to be thriving. He lives in the trees behind our deck but comes every morning and evening to eat, play and cuddle. Then he goes back into the tree when it starts getting dark. He is still drinking a little bit of puppy milk. He eats acorns from the trees, nibbles on greenery, and I give him shelled pecans, grapes and broccoli. He ate sparingly of rodent blocks before he went to the trees, but now just wants the pecans, grapes, and broccoli from me. He eats and then engages in strenuous 'hand rolling' with me. Then he gets still and wants to be snuggled (or even take a nap in my jacket sleeve. He made a nest in a potted fern on the deck, but seems to prefer the trees. We are having a 'house' built for him in case he needs it for the winter. This little boy has captured our hearts! My only concern is his teeth--we have trimmed them several times but despite now cracking nuts and gnawing on branches, it does not appear that his teeth are wearing down naturally. Any advice is welcomed!

Default Re: Rocky's Squirrel Mum

What a great story! I’m so glad Rocky has hung around.

Regarding the teeth…have you put out any dried marrow bones? I buy them at the grocery store and let my dog have the marrow out of them. Then after they’ve sat in the yard for a couple of weeks I place them up in the trees or near the feeding station. They’re easy to hang by sticking a tree limb through the hole.

Many of my yard squirrels chew on them. It’s a win-win.

If he doesn’t wear his teeth down you may have to bring him in to trim them.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTop View Post
    My only concern is his teeth--we have trimmed them several times but despite now cracking nuts and gnawing on branches, it does not appear that his teeth are wearing down naturally. Any advice is welcomed!
    If he was 5 weeks when took in, he'd be around 12 weeks now??
    If you've already had to trim his teeth "several times" and you still feel they are unable to wear down naturally,
    this would suggest they are not lining up. Having to trim a 12 week olds teeth several times is very suspicious.
    If they are not lining up top to bottom they will continue to grow. If /when he decides to take off, or gets run
    off and you are unable to maintain /trim his teeth when needed, they will continue to grow and they will become
    a death sentence for him out in the wild.
    Since you are still able to handle somewhat and if possible to get a picture (or 2) of his teeth, that could help
    to determine the seriousness of the situation and what steps you may need to take.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

redwuff (10-19-2021), sundoesshine (10-22-2021)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...1&d=1634434617

This is what Stepnstone is talking about. This could be extremely serious for your boy. Please bring him inside until you/we can figure out what is going on with his teeth. I have worked with squirrels that had teeth growing into their sinus causing severe infection and contributing to their inability to eat.

What general area of Virginia are you in?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (10-19-2021), stepnstone (10-19-2021), sundoesshine (10-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What a great story! I’m so glad Rocky has hung around.

Regarding the teeth…have you put out any dried marrow bones? I buy them at the grocery store and let my dog have the marrow out of them. Then after they’ve sat in the yard for a couple of weeks I place them up in the trees or near the feeding station. They’re easy to hang by sticking a tree limb through the hole.

Many of my yard squirrels chew on them. It’s a win-win.

If he doesn’t wear his teeth down you may have to bring him in to trim them.
    Thanks for the reply! I have not tried that but I think I will!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If you've already had to trim his teeth "several times" and you still feel they are unable to wear down naturally,
    this would suggest they are not lining up. Having to trim a 12 week olds teeth several times is very suspicious.
    If they are not lining up top to bottom they will continue to grow. If /when he decides to take off, or gets run
    off and you are unable to maintain /trim his teeth when needed, they will continue to grow and they will become
    Since you are still able to handle somewhat and if possible to get a picture (or 2) of his teeth, that could help
    to determine the seriousness of the situation and what steps you may need to take.
    Yes, he seems to be about 12 weeks now. He can now crack acorns and pecans but I have a rehabber who is helping me and since Rocky is still bonded to me, the plan is to monitor his teeth to determine whether he will need to be brought in from the wild. I'm looking into a forever enclosure in case that's what has to happen. Still, any advice is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...1&d=1634434617

This is what Stepnstone is talking about. This could be extremely serious for your boy. Please bring him inside until you/we can figure out what is going on with his teeth. I have worked with squirrels that had teeth growing into their sinus causing severe infection and contributing to their inability to eat.

What general area of Virginia are you in?
    Where are you located? I just posted this, but right now Rocky is eating nuts and can crack acorns and pecans, some walnuts, and today was not interested in his puppy milk. I'm checking to see if his teeth are wearing down to determine whether he will need to be brought in from the wild. I'm in contact with another rehabber but I welcome any advice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Ok, I'm going to try to get a picture of his teeth. I feel I'm running out of time but for now he still wants to hand play and snuggle after he eats. Then at dusk he just stops and goes up the tree. I welcome all advice!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyTop from:

sundoesshine (10-22-2021)