Thread: Lucy Left

Default Lucy Left

A brief history, First the Squirrel board helped us when Ricky got sick and as far as we know made a full recovery from an large abscess .... many thanks to you board members.

In October of 2020 I cut down a bushy tree not knowing there was an active nest in it, we have never had squirrel's nest in our yard. We feed them and the birds but they prefer the woods across the street to nest in. With the tree and babies on the ground we could not get momma to take the two squirrels back and it was cold and rainy out so we brought them in and raised them, their eyes and ears was still closed but they had most of their fur I estimate them to be 4 to 5 weeks old then. My goodness it was like having human babies again with feedings around the clock and my Wife and I enjoyed every minute of it. We raised them till April of 2021 when the weather warmed up and did a soft release. I had mounted 2 cedar boxes in the trees above where we released them with their familiar bedding in them. It was a very exciting day we actually opened the cage and watched them slowly take to the trees and to our surprise took up residence in the nest boxes... Yippy... Ricky the male hung around about 3 weeks then he would leave for a day and stay for 2 or 3 days then leave again for a longer periods of time till eventually he didn't return. I wonder if this had something to do with Lucy becoming pregnant because there wasn't any other squirrels coming to the feeder either ???

This is my question, Lucy never left us and was interacted with daily, shoulder rides, feedings and she like to dig holes with us when we was landscaping. Late summer she became pregnant and had one baby squirrel. I estimate she raised him till around 10 to 12 weeks then Lucy just left last weekend she has been gone for 5 days now. The baby she had which we called scooter left yesterday. Did she leave so scooter would find his own way ? Was she done raising him ? I thought they would stay together through the winter. I don't think a predator got Lucy because we just don't have large enough birds to take on an adult squirrel. I am still holding out hope that Lucy will return but.... that was our job to raise them and release, but I miss them.

Default Re: Lucy Left

What a wonderful story of a release done right.
    Hard to tell what Lucy will do; sometimes moms do leave their nest areas to their kids, and move on. But squirrels will also find a particularly yummy tree or garden in the neighborhood and spend several days there munching on the fruits and veggies...they are programmed to eat what is in season and to change their diets when that particular nut or fruit is no longer available. She could be off in someone's yard nomming all their pecans, or their tomatoes, or.... .

Since she's the one who stuck with you, I am hoping that she will return shortly.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

She still hasn't returned but her baby (scooter) was seen in the yard today so I put up two extra nest boxes up and put extra pine chips in the other two. He is very very skittish and rarely on the ground but he does know where the feed tray is, Hopefully he makes it through the winter. As far as her finding something somewhere to eat probably not. Some days she ate better than me, Nuts of all kinds, avocadoes, Sweet potato's, apple's, pears, carrots, roman lettuce, We probably gave her 10 to 15 nuts a day that she would hide. I guess you can see she was was well cared for. I'm still holding out hope though. Dang squirrel stole my heart... Thank you for your reply

It’s very possible she left to wean her baby. I observed that behavior with my girl Susie. She lived in the adjacent property that belonged to my niece. Occasionally she would visit. One day she showed up and stayed. I was thrilled. A few days later I saw her with two mostly grown playful teenage squirrels. I believe she left them and returned to her original ‘home’ for a break from the kids. I never saw them together again. I do believe that when mom’s job is done she will leave them and let them find their own way in the trees.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

JLM27 (10-17-2021)

That is what I am hoping for, she just moved on for a short bit. If you talk about your squirrel friends to your human friends you can tell they think your slightly (nuts) Thank goodness for TSB

I miss going outside and being greeted by them. I drank a lot of beer sitting and watching them and handing out nuts ..... Good times and Good memories.

thought I would update, ( I miss that dang squirrel)

Scooter found his way back to the nest box and has been staying in it and we keep food out for him. Today I noticed another squirrel in the feeding area and she had very visible tits while looking through binoculars . I went out and whistled for at her to see if Lucy had returned, when I did the squirrel paused then ran up the tree into the nest box. I was puzzled because scooter does not have tidy's. Later the squirrel was resting on the little stoop I have on the nest box and another squirrel looked out the hole, so there is 2 squirrel's in the nest box. I am hoping Lucy has returned. My question is could she have forgotten me or turned wild with a month of absence ? Before you could not go out in the yard without Lucy running you down or to my great pleasure helping me do yard work.

Lucy has still not returned, still heart broken, the back yard just isn't the same. there's a "but" though

Lucy's little feller is still living in his nest box. 2 weeks ago a friend moved in with him, a female. I observed today that there is three of them living in the (Missouri regulation size cedar nest box) Wow what a treat, I feel blessed... They are very skittish, time will tell if they get use to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Momar View Post
    Lucy has still not returned, still heart broken, the back yard just isn't the same. there's a "but" though

Lucy's little feller is still living in his nest box. 2 weeks ago a friend moved in with him, a female. I observed today that there is three of them living in the (Missouri regulation size cedar nest box) Wow what a treat, I feel blessed... They are very skittish, time will tell if they get use to us.
    My guess is that Lucy has moved on. Surrendered the nest to her little fellow, figuring he'd run the place to his liking now, with the company he chooses
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

I still miss Lucy but now her little one has...... 5 other squirrels living with him, 6 in a nest box. lol