Thread: Blue specks in FV 20/50?

Default Blue specks in FV 20/50?

I've been mixing FV 20/50 for about 6 weeks now and today while mixing I noticed for the first time multiple tiny little bright blue specks in it - there are quite a few dispersed throughout the mixture. Have they always been there?! I keep the powdered formula refrigerated. I'm about halfway through this package now. Any idea what this is?

Name:  IMG_3079.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  70.5 KB

Default Re: Blue specks in FV 20/50?

The blue particles are copper sulphate. It was added years ago due to pressure from others regarding lack of copper in the formula. People have been noting the blue particles ever since. Nick mentioned years ago about uneven mixing causing the particles to be visible when you wouldn’t usually notice them.

I did a little research and question the need for it also. I would recommend shaking the bag vigorously to distribute the blue particles. Make sure the bag is zipped or you will have quite a mess. My guess is that it takes a bit for copper sulfate to go into solution. If the formula is allowed to sit as per the recommendation, the copper sulfate should go into solution.

3. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (10-16-2021), Mel1959 (10-16-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-16-2021), Spanky (10-15-2021), stepnstone (10-15-2021), Templeton (10-16-2021), Tuff (10-15-2021)

Default Re: Blue specks in FV 20/50?

Yes - I looked at the mixed formula today and don’t see them anymore so I guess they dissolve with time. Thank you! I was so perplexed!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    The blue particles are copper sulphate. It was added years ago due to pressure from others regarding lack of copper in the formula. People have been noting the blue particles ever since. Nick mentioned years ago about uneven mixing causing the particles to be visible when you wouldn’t usually notice them.

I did a little research and question the need for it also. I would recommend shaking the bag vigorously to distribute the blue particles. Make sure the bag is zipped or you will have quite a mess. My guess is that it takes a bit for copper sulfate to go into solution. If the formula is allowed to sit as per the recommendation, the copper sulfate should go into solution.