Thread: Qs re homemade blocks and HHBs

Question Qs re homemade blocks and HHBs

I’m considering making my own blocks. I did some math and the Wild Bites are about the same price as the Vita-mins and protein powder in the long run, so which is more economical for me depends on a couple of things:

Can I store the HHBs in the freezer for 3 or 4 months? If it helps, I’ve got a big stand-alone freezer that stays around 0F. (The shipping costs for ordering them every month is what I’m thinking of here.)

Can I use the whey protein powder that I already have? Its Isopure, unsweetened and unflavored, the ingredients are whey protein isolate and soy lecithin.

I already have almond and wheat flour for the homemade ones, so no extra cost there.

Default Re: Qs re homemade blocks and HHBs

HHB’s can be stored in the freezer for a very long time without degradation. I have kept them in the freezer for 6+ months with no problems.

The wild bites, although nutritious, contain peanuts, which is one of the least desirable nuts for long term use.

Frequently the Henrys site has a bag of Mixed Blocks available. You are limited to only one bag per order. The bag consists of “ends and pieces” of all the different types of block they sell. They are very economical at $8.99 per bag.

The bag of whey protein I got from Henrys says it contains whey protein isolate and wheat protein isolate. Nothing about soy lecithin.

I think it might be helpful for you to call Leigh at Henry’s Pets and discuss the ingredients that you want to use to make the blocks. She is always very receptive and helpful at offering advice. Her phone number is on the website.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

applecrisped (10-14-2021), KCullen (10-27-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisped View Post
    I’m considering making my own blocks. I did some math and the Wild Bites are about the same price as the Vita-mins and protein powder in the long run, so which is more economical for me depends on a couple of things:

Can I store the HHBs in the freezer for 3 or 4 months? If it helps, I’ve got a big stand-alone freezer that stays around 0F. (The shipping costs for ordering them every month is what I’m thinking of here.)

Can I use the whey protein powder that I already have? Its Isopure, unsweetened and unflavored, the ingredients are whey protein isolate and soy lecithin.

I already have almond and wheat flour for the homemade ones, so no extra cost there.
    Hi Applecrisped:
    I don't know why the Isopure whey isolate contains Soy Lecithin. This is usually added to processed foods as an emulsifier which helps to mix water based substances and oil based substances which do not ordinarily combine. There are concerns, but also associated controversies about using Soy products in part because they contain phytoestrogens and because of risk Soy allergy. In reality, Soy Lecithin contains very little actual soy but it does contain some. I'm with Mel on this in that Henry's Isolate is marketed as "Pure" Whey and Wheat Protein Isolate and no other ingredients are listed. I too would suggest getting in touch with Leigh at Henry's, in part for you but selfishly for me as well (When I get a chance, probably tomorrow I will call there if you haven't found anything yet and post what I have found) because it may be that some sort of emulsifier is required for all of the Protein Isolates and for some reason is just not on the ingredient list of Henry's. I have been using the Isolate from Henry's in some of my Squirrel block recipes for some time and I always assumed pure means pure! Henry's is quite reputable and most likely there is no lecithin of other additives in Henry's Protein Isolate. Regardless, I would recommend Henry's as opposed to using any other Protein Isolate because it is marketed specifically for rodent diet supplementation by a very reputable company and is the only such product I have found to be available.

There are also many options for base ingredients that you may want to at least consider when formulating your blocks other than Almond and Wheat flour such as finely ground pecans. I mention this in particular because it is commonly used this is also Sammy's favorite! I also use a pecan base for feeding the wilds and they love it as well. Please post your recipe! Most of us are very concerned about Squirrel nutrition and for obviously good reason!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

KCullen (10-27-2021)

Thank you for the answers. Being able to store the blocks for a few months is great info, buying one bag at a time adds a lot with shipping costs over time. I started with the picky blocks and I caught a mixed bag once.
    I didn't know about the peanuts. If I switch back to one of the other blocks, making my own definitely becomes more economical.

@SamtheSquirrel: the whey protein I have is meant for mixing into a drink, so that's probably why it has the soy lecithin. My squirrel has had the Tekland blocks before and those do contain soy so allergies are not a concern, but I'm on the fence about soy in general bc of the phytoestrogens. Also, idk about the potential for other additives that aren't listed - why I'm leaning towards getting it from Henry's. Reputable company, as you said.

The recipe that I'm looking at is one I found in the forums here that i believe came from Henry's. It's 80g of whey, 130g ground nuts, 1/3 cup of flour (optional), 33g Vita-mins, baking powder, egg, water. I'll definitely look at other bases too.

I didn't even consider calling Henry's. I'll try to do that today if I get a chance.

I had the pleasure of talking with Henry's today and was assured there are no added ingredients to Henry's Protein Isolate other than the Whey and wheat isolates, themselves. Another positive consideration for using Henry's products is that they use ingredients that are manufactured and processed to be suitable for human food and consumption (Edible or unofficially, "Human Grade")! This is the decision they made when they first began making blocks for their own Squirrel, Henry and they have continued to maintain this high standard for their commercial lines of foods and supplements since. Well, there's the word on Henry's Protein Isolate!
    SamtheSquirrel

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

applecrisped (10-15-2021), KCullen (10-27-2021), Spanky (10-15-2021)

Gonna necro my own post I meant to follow up sooner but things got crazy.

I bought protein powder from Henry's. What I had was out of date, and Henry's is just a little more expensive per pound.
    I got their Vita-mins too. I called and asked about storing those long term since the large bag will last me at least four months - they said to keep them in the fridge.

The first recipe:
    Name:  20211215_125752.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  120.2 KB
    (It says 45g package of Vita-mins, someone confirmed in another thread that it takes 33g now.)

I forgot how almond flour behaves when baking - it is very very dense. So, my first attempt was a no go. Fortunately I had cut the recipe to 1/4 and was able to make boo balls with them.
    Name:  20211215_130835.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  79.6 KBName:  20211215_130818.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  75.0 KB

After a couple more attempts I figured it out. About 2/3 chopped pecans and 1/3 almond flour for the ground nuts.
    Here's the recipe I followed. The only adjustment being I used the vitamins instead of formula powder. It is double the first recipe, so 66g of Vita-mins. I used unsweetened apple sauce instead of baby food for the test batch. These did not need water added to them.
    Name:  20211215_125933.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  106.3 KB

Since I've been doing small batches I've been baking them in silicon muffin cups. Adult squirrels need 1g of the vitamins daily, and the muffin size cuts into fours nicely, so I weigh the batter, figure 4g of vitamins per muffin cup and do the math from there. It usually fills up about half the cup, which is close to the thickness of the HHBs.
    Name:  20211215_134821.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  84.0 KB

My girl is happy with them

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to applecrisped:

Chirps (12-16-2021), Mel1959 (12-16-2021)