Thread: Sibling nursing on brothers genitals

Default Sibling nursing on brothers genitals

Hi! My little boy and girl are around 8/9 weeks. The girl has always had a issue with “nursing” on her brother. 🥴. I ended up separating them for about 3 weeks but only when they slept. I recently put them back together full time and she’s starting back nursing on him again. I’d love to find something to help break this habit instead of constantly separating them.. Is there any advice someone can give?? They love being together so I don’t like splitting them up.
    Thank you!

Thumbs down Re: Sibling nursing on brothers genitals

Usually by this age the babies have stopped genital nursing. Are babies still on formula. If so try increasing the amount of formula given or the amount of other food given. What are you feeding and how much?

There is also a product called Ick that you can buy from Chris’s Squirrels and More, or even bitter apple, that is put around the part that is being nursed. But do not use if the area that is being nursed is damaged in any way.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Sibling nursing on brothers genitals

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post

There is also a product called Ick that you can buy from Chris’s Squirrels and More, or even bitter apple, that is put around the part that is being nursed. But do not use if the area that is being nursed is damaged in any way.
    Sorry, that should be Yuk! not Ick.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

They are getting 8ml 4 times a day now with unlimited blocks. I also give them a small bowl of fruits and vegetables in the morning and evening.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sambro02 from:

redwuff (10-13-2021)

Sambro would you post a picture of your little tykes. We always love to see other babies. Are you feeding the babies at 5% of their weight?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Name:  4FE860DB-2445-4407-AEFA-E9937EBF1A2B.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  132.1 KB

redwuff, I think I just posted one. Can you let me know if you see it?

Also, my boy weighs 6.8oz and my girl is 5.8oz. How much milk should they be getting now, and how often??

The ounce to gram conversion says that your 6.8oz baby is 194gr and your 5.8oz baby is 165gr. To determine the amount to feed at each feeding you will multiply 194 x 5%= 9.7ml and 194 x 7%= 13.6ml..so the 6.8oz (194gr) baby should eat between 9.7ml and 13.6ml at each feeding. The 165gr baby should eat between 8.25ml and 11.5gr at each feeding. These is the general range of the capacity of their stomachs. As they get older and their stomachs grow and adjust they may want more than the 7% amount. It’s okay to allow more as long as it’s done gradually. Don’t jump from 13.6ml to 18ml at one time. Make the increases gradual….sometimes you just have to cut them off so they don’t overeat. Overeating can lead to diarrhea.