Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ≈ 8 weeks old with new diarrhea.

Default ≈ 8 weeks old with new diarrhea.

Male baby, probably 8 weeks old. Very healthy otherwise. He had his first veggies 2 days ago. A few fresh peas and a small sprig of cilantro. He loved it and handled it well. The next day in the evening I noticed some diarrhea in his cage. He is pre-release right now. Still indoor and sleeping in a large cat carrier. He is 235g and eats 11/12cc of FV 3x daily. He has unlimited maziri block and water available. I haven’t given him any fresh food since Sunday (10th) afternoon. He does have sticks available to chew. Apple, maple and plum. He loves chewing. What should I do to help him get back to a healthy stool? I had hoped to get him going on fresh foods so that I could get him into his outdoor cage soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: ≈ 8 weeks old with new diarrhea.

You might try offering some fresh pumpkin (it’s in season) and see if that will help firm his stool.

I’m not sure exactly where you’re located in the northwest, but I suspect winter is quickly approaching. We don’t recommend transitioning to a release cage until they are about 14 weeks old and releasing a couple of weeks later at 16 weeks……longer for singletons. Eight weeks is much too young to go to a release cage. He should still be taking formula up to 3 times a day. I’m not sure you’re going to have enough nice weather and leaves on the trees for this little guy to get himself established before cold weather sets in. I think he will definitely need to be over wintered for his best chance at survival.

Please seek the advice of a trusted member who has a rehab facility in Vancouver, WA. His name is Michael and the facility is Squirrel Refuge of Vancouver. The number is 360-836-0955. Please reach out to him, he will share his knowledge of what is best for your little guy.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

margaret! (10-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure you’re going to have enough nice weather and leaves on the trees for this little guy to get himself established before cold weather sets in. I think he will definitely need to be over wintered for his best chance at survival.

Please seek the advice of a trusted member who has a rehab facility in Vancouver, WA. His name is Michael and the facility is Squirrel Refuge of Vancouver. The number is 360-836-0955. Please reach out to him, he will share his knowledge of what is best for your little guy.

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful info. I am familiar with Michael. I’d forgotten about him as a great resource.
    As for the winter weather. I should have been more clear. I have a substantial sized outdoor cage that is undercover that I transition juvenile squirrels to for the bulk of the winter. That way they can have more time to adapt to the elements before I release them.
    I’m going to try some pumpkin and hope that helps. I’ve never had a squirrel with a sensitive stomach so this is proving challenging. I’m use to being able to offer so many different options without a problem.
    Thank you again!

So the diarrhea has not let up. It’s still happening. Not completely liquid. But yellow in color and messy.
    I’m not sure at this point what I should do.
    Any suggestions would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret! View Post
    Male baby, probably 8 weeks old. Very healthy otherwise.
    He had his first veggies 2 days ago. A few fresh peas and a small sprig of cilantro. He loved it and handled it well.
    The next day in the evening I noticed some diarrhea in his cage.

I would
    suffice it to say it to be pretty obvious *one or the other caused the digestive/intestinal upset.
    *I doubt it was the peas.
    My suggestion would be to give an anti diarrhea such as Pepto Bismol or Kao-Pectate. Either can be given
    QID (4x a day) or as needed. I would start with 3-4 X. Only feed formula and block and always give extra
    hydration to flush his system to prevent dehydration which can be caused by diarrhea.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

margaret! (10-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

My suggestion would be to give an anti diarrhea such as Pepto Bismol or Kao-Pectate. Either can be given
    QID (4x a day) or as needed. I would start with 3-4 X. Only feed formula and block and always give extra
    hydration to flush his system to prevent dehydration which can be caused by diarrhea.
    If he is 237g how do I dose and administer the pepto? This is a new one for me. Thank you in advance for your help.

If he is 237g how do I dose and administer the pepto? This is a new one for me. Thank you in advance for your help.

Will send dosing to your private messages...
    ~ dosing sent.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (10-16-2021)

Hi there. So the diarrhea has not resolved. He is eating only formula 3x daily and block. I have not allowed any other foods. He’s Brent asking pepto 4x daily but it has only resulted in dark stool. He’s not loosing weight. He’s still gaining. He’s otherwise happy. But it is such a mess!! I’m sad that I can’t introduce him to some veggies. I know the desire is there. He eats (shreds) his block and has an unlimited supply of it. I’ve pushed hydration between feedings (he hated it these days).
    I’m at a loss for what to do now. I have an out door cage (huge) that’s ready for him to play in for a couple hours a day. But I don’t want to do anything to stress him at this point.
    Any advice welcome!

Just to be certain, formula hygiene: never warm up formula, not use then feed it later. Any formula warmed for feeding but not fed should be discarded. The powdered formula should be stored in the freezer (minimally the fridge) after it is opened, otherwise it can quickly go rancid.

Have you tried the BRAT diet?

Brat diet:
    3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula 2-1
    1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal
    1/2 tsp banana baby food.

I see pumpkin was recommended previously, did you try that? Baby food pumpkin works too.

My "go to" for chronic diarrhea is Fox Valley DiaStat:
    https://henryspets.com/dia-stat-for-diarrhea/

Pepto will not fix a chronic problem, simply mask the symptoms.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (10-28-2021), margaret! (10-20-2021), Mel1959 (10-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

My "go to" for chronic diarrhea is Fox Valley DiaStat:

How would you recommend I incorporate the DiaStat into his diet and for how long? I’ve stoped pepto and started the BRAT today. Pumpkin will be tomorrow. I don’t want to do too many things at once.

How would you recommend I incorporate the DiaStat into his diet and for how long? I’ve stopped pepto and started the BRAT today. Pumpkin will be tomorrow. I don’t want to do too many things at once.
    This is from the FV website:

"Feeding directions, altering with milk formula:
    Feed DIA-STAT at every other feeding (instead of milk formula). Feed the DIA-STAT solution at the same rate as the milk formula.

DIA-STAT is advised to be used as a complete meal for 2 feedings.

The use of DIA-STAT in combination with anti-biotic is NOT recommended."
    https://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/dia-stat

With an older baby like yours I would normally substitute DiaStat for formula for 2 feedings and if things are not better 24 hours later I give DiaStat instead of formula for a day's worth of feeding. Younger babies I give DiaStat for 24 hours to start (but never longer than that, since it is a hydration solution it is not given for more that 24 hours (same rule as pedialyte)).

You are wise not to do too many things all at the same time...

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

margaret! (10-27-2021)

So his stool began to look great after about 2.5 days of the brat diet. He was happy to eat it. I added water between feedings (he drinks water from his water bottle provided).
    Now… his stool is becoming soft again. He is still on the brat diet. I never stopped. It was helping and aiding in weight gain. It’s not what I would call full blown diarrhea. But it’s soft. Easy to step in and track all over his indoor home.
    Should I have stopped the brat? Am I making the Diarrhea worse?

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to margaret! from:

Mel1959 (10-27-2021)

I think you should order some Fox Valley Dia-Stat from an online source. Follow the directions Spanky posted above.

I’ve never heard of BRAT diet making stool worse.

The stool doesn’t have an offensive odor does it?

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

margaret! (10-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

The stool doesn’t have an offensive odor does it?
    It does actually. Not like knock your socks off bad. But it hadn’t had any smell before.

I am wondering if the stools are frothy or maybe sticky... and what color? Can you post poop pics? I know gross, but can be invaluable info...

Sounds like the BRAT treated the symptoms but not the cause IMO

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

margaret! (10-27-2021)

I am wondering if the stools are frothy or maybe sticky... and what color? Can you post poop pics? I know gross, but can be invaluable info...

Sounds like the BRAT treated the symptoms but not the cause IMO
    Thank you for your help. It’s isn’t frothy. I had to deal with that when he was closer to 6 weeks. He’s pushing 12 now. His stool holds together but can sometimes be quite soft. Like he will step in it and get it EVERYWHERE. But isn't liquid. He also gets a messy butt if he’s stressed out because he wants to be out playing. Here are pics from the last couple day.

This is just now. Getting softer.

With an older baby like yours I would normally substitute DiaStat for formula for 2 feedings and if things are not better 24 hours later I give DiaStat instead of formula for a day's worth of feeding. Younger babies I give DiaStat for 24 hours to start (but never longer than that, since it is a hydration solution it is not given for more that 24 hours (same rule as pedialyte)). [/FONT]
    DIA STAT just came today. I’m going to give it to him rather than his 3rd (he only gets three formula feedings per day) formula feeding. And then replace his morning and mid day formula feeding tomorrow with it and see where we are at. Does this sound right?

Sorry, I have not had much time on TSB recently.

I would give the DiaStat tonight and then for the morning feeding. Resume formula tomorrow afternoon and re-evaluate on Saturday morning.

Poop smell... does this smell of rot and disease or a maybe a "sweetly sickening" smell?

And is this really "sticky" poo?

Is he still on the BRAT diet?

(What we won't do to help these little ones!)

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

margaret! (10-28-2021)

Sorry, I have not had much time on TSB recently.

I would give the DiaStat tonight and then for the morning feeding. Resume formula tomorrow afternoon and re-evaluate on Saturday morning.

Poop smell... does this smell of rot and disease or a maybe a "sweetly sickening" smell?

And is this really "sticky" poo?

Is he still on the BRAT diet?

(What we won't do to help these little ones!)
    Hi! I will give him the DIA STAT this evening.
    His poop doesn’t smell like rot. Just a little sour like a stinky diaper. He is still on BRAT. The poop is sticky. A hint of mucus to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast