Thread: One Squirrel too sad after brother gone

Default One Squirrel too sad after brother gone

I had two baby squirrels 7weeks now but today one ran away and the other squirrel is now too sad and isn't even sleeping and looking for his brother everywhere. What to do now the squirrel who ran away doesn't even know how to survive he climbed a big tree and now is out of my sight how should I get in back and it's dark now so I can't even see him and also how can I cheer back the other squirrel who is sad

Default Re: One Squirrel too sad after brother gone

Call out for the escaped squirrel and bring treats with you. He will be close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnhavoc View Post
    I had two baby squirrels 7weeks now but today one ran away and the other squirrel is now too sad and isn't even sleeping and looking for his brother everywhere. What to do now the squirrel who ran away doesn't even know how to survive he climbed a big tree and now is out of my sight how should I get in back and it's dark now so I can't even see him and also how can I cheer back the other squirrel who is sad
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

You said it was dark there. They don’t move around at night. Often they will show up in the morning when they are hungry. Be outside early. You will probably find the escapee.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (10-12-2021), stepnstone (10-12-2021)

The first squirrel I overwintered (2014-2015) was Dustin. I did not know about TSB at the time, and my only previous squirrel Sam had been a March birth who seamlessly transitioned to the wild by July.

Dustin was born in early August and came to me in mid September. Based on my limited knowledge at the time and conflicting advice from the closest thing I could find to experts, I was unclear whether to release him in late fall or overwinter.

So, as I did my best, part of my plan was to get him used to the outdoors. Well, that did not work out too well!

Dustin disappeared on Thanksgiving at about noon, a cold day with snow. I searched and searched and could not find him. Dustin eventually turned up the next afternoon at the window. He was hungry but basically okay.

Still unclear on whether to release or not, I continued to let Dustin have some time outside with me there to supervise. And yes, he disappeared again in early December for three days!

Well, that was enough for me, and I made the decision to overwinter, and also the decision not to take any chances that he might escape again. No more outdoor time for Dustin after that, not until the release cage the following May.

So, the two points of this rambling narrative are:

Young squirrels will usually return.
    Be careful and avoid situations where a young squirrel might escape.

Also: Take some bedding from where he sleeps or something that will smell familiar and place this in a box near where he was last seen. He will be looking for a place to nest and feel safe.