Thread: Sun Lamp

Default Sun Lamp

Hello! The 15ish week old Eastern grey Squirrel that I help care for doesn't get a lot of natural light. I started bringing my sun lamp https://smile.amazon.com/Therapy-LAS...035402&sr=8-28 over in the morning and turn it on Risyu before he gets his morning squirrel blocks. (I should clarify the reason he doesn't get much natural light is because our apartment building gets very little light – that's why I have a sun lamp for myself!)

Is there a better option for inside squirrels living with low light? I also have a plant light lamp, and am happy to purchase a different option if you know of something better. Currently, I leave the lamp on for 45 mins or so when I am visiting. Occasionally, I've left it on for hours at a time. Do you have any recommendations for length of time/time of day to use a sun lamp for a squirrel? I try to use it in the early part of the day when the sun would naturally be brightest.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Sun Lamp

I’m not sure what your sun lamp is but the lamp that a squirrel would need is a Repti-Sun UVA/UVB lamp. The model 10.0 has the farthest reaching rays. It’s very important that this lamp be placed on top of the cage and emit downwards so it doesn’t shine into her eyes. You can buy the bulbs in varying lengths online. If you check at Lowe’s or Home Depot for what size fluorescent bulb fixtures they stock it would be cheapest to purchase the fixture there and get a bulb size that would work with it. I believe the smallest size fixture might be 48”. The bulb maintains its potency for about 6-9 months and then must be replaced. I believe the light must be run for a couple hours each day.

An alternative is to take Risyu outside in an appropriate cage for some natural sunlight. Keeping in mind that she always has to have some type of shade, too. Providing mushrooms to eat is an excellent source of Vitamin D….if she’ll eat them.

Edit: Just looked at the Amazon link. That sun lamp isn’t gonna work. It’s the UVA/UVB rays that create the environment to provide Vitamin D.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

AuntieA (10-12-2021)