Thread: Hello from the United Kingdom 🇬🇧

Lightbulb Hello from the United Kingdom 🇬🇧

Hello everyone!

Firstly I would like to thank you all good people for creating and running the site. It was a treasure find for me and a huge relief to read all the quality info.

On my birthday (22.09) I was approached close to my home by a small gray baby squirrel. She was looking tired and need of food and drink. i gave him some nuts and water but than he did not want to leave me. Was cuddling in my hands and looking for protection.

I took him home where I have big garden. In fact it was only 2min walk from the main road where I found him (or he found me).

I gave him some nuts and water (salt with sugar). Was trying to help him stay in the garden but he didn’t want to claim the trees or even go out from the blanket in a box. I was even putting it on side so was easy for him to go out.

Yesterday unfortunately baby Stuart died suddenly to my deepest shock. I just read one day before to give him some apple or sugar beans… which I did in the morning he was eating the apple… playing with me asking for cuddling and scratching. Two hours later he was dead with blood on his nose.

I understand that this must be related to the diet. He was shaking before when we was trying to take him. I’m wondering if this was something I could fix with the right nutrition or it was too late. I’m blaming myself a bit that maybe the apple caused this “attack” or he chocked. I don’t know. Vets here do not deal with squirrel and I think is even forbidden to keep them at homes.

I’m sorry to write my short sad story in the welcome message but I’m very deeply sad and shocked and had to explain why I’m on here.

I was unable to find any videos or info related to balanced diet. The way I found this site was by typing “baby squirrel suddenly died” which showed me on google this forum.

I will post more info on how he was eating and what so maybe someone will explain to me and others what went wrong.

Please good people keep posting some videos what they should eat. Is hard to find the site. YouTube will be the first place people looking for information.

Once again thank you 🙏 all for support on this forum! RIP Stuart 🐿

Name:  3348BC7E-4DF8-4ADD-9324-6E356AB111D1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  95.1 KB

Default Re: Hello from the United Kingdom 🇬🇧

I'm so very sorry for your loss

Similar to you, I found this site just a few weeks ago from Google searching questions after my neighbor found a baby squirrel on a city sidewalk. There are many experts who can help you – I just want to express my deep sympathy for your loss. It's clear you have a kind heart, and you did the best you could for Stuart with the information you had.

Sending hugs from across the pond in New York!

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to AuntieA:

KamUK (10-12-2021), redwuff (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-13-2021)

Awww…R.I.P. Stuart

Welcome to the squirrel board. The fact that you brought Stuart home to a ‘safe’ place and tried to care for him showed that he touched your heart. These guys have a way of doing that. They are magic!

Thank you for including a picture of Stuart. That shows us a lot. He looked pretty thin and he needed to still be on formula. In the Uk the easiest formula to get would be one made up with goat milk, heavy whipping cream, and full fat yogurt.

I am so sorry you could not find enough info to help Stuart. You won’t forget him even tho he was with you for such a short time. We will be here when you need help again.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Diggie's Friend (10-13-2021), KamUK (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-13-2021)

I’m very sorry for your loss. .

I’d like to also suggest that in addition to the goat milk formula which Redwuff suggested, there is also a powdered puppy formula that should be readily available in the UK. It’s called Royal Canin Baby Dog. It provides the necessary nutrition for long term use, whereas the goats milk formula is a temporary formula.

Once the baby has teeth at 5-6 weeks old it’s important to provide a hard extruded rodent block like Envigo Harlan Teklad or Mazuri Rat Block. After they are eating that well then you can gradually introduce vegetable from the Healthy Diet. Here’s the link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (10-13-2021), KamUK (10-12-2021), redwuff (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m very sorry for your loss. .

I’d like to also suggest that in addition to the goat milk formula which Redwuff suggested, there is also a powdered puppy formula that should be readily available in the UK. It’s called Royal Canin Baby Dog. It provides the necessary nutrition for long term use, whereas the goats milk formula is a temporary formula.

Once the baby has teeth at 5-6 weeks old it’s important to provide a hard extruded rodent block like Envigo Harlan Teklad or Mazuri Rat Block. After they are eating that well then you can gradually introduce vegetable from the Healthy Diet. Here’s the link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Sorry for your loss...
    In addition to the above, the below link can be helpful with baby squirrel care.
    it can be a HUGE help, it's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

KamUK (10-12-2021), Mel1959 (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-13-2021)

Post Re: Hello from the United Kingdom 🇬🇧

Thank you very much for all the good words. I’m still in a deep shock and can’t bealive we lost him! Oh…

There was no sign of this coming at all! Gosh… like the world just disappeared under my feet.

I have two parrots cockatiels end even they like him in such a short time. I know is a wild animal but such a adorable one. He bonded with us so quick. Unbelievable how friendly he was. It makes me think now was this because he was ill or because he was maybe left on his own in “starvation”. So many questions coming up in my head…

I’m professional from trade and this is not what I used too. Failure is not a option and never was. I hope this site reach more people and spread the good words and professional approach.

Picture below is from the second day. We was trying to let him go but he was running back to the box with blanket.

Name:  EA496B8F-7D7A-40AF-B717-739A8362F0F6.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  172.9 KB

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KamUK from:

TubeDriver (10-12-2021)

Welcome
    I'm so sorry you only had Stuart for such a short time, they do steal our hearts 💕
    Young abandoned squirrels will seek out humans for help/protection.
    I'm just wondering about the bloody nose, possibly an attack of a cat or some other predator unless he had fallen.
    You were there for him and that gave him peace
    Please try not to beat yourself up, he knew he was loved if only for a short while
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

KamUK (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-13-2021)

Godspeed little Stuart.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

KamUK (10-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-13-2021)

Hello, and Welcome! So glad Stuart found you. I am wondering if he may have siblings out there also in need. If he was wandering looking for help, maybe something happened to his Mum. If he does, and it or they also find their way to you, you might get another chance to help a precious baby. Cheers!

EDIT: Never mind, I just reread the date you found Stuart. Little chance of any others surviving this long. But I hope another squirrel in need finds you, because they all need someone who cares as you do.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

KamUK (10-12-2021)