Thread: UTI infection treatment help

Default UTI infection treatment help

Good day to all of you,

My adult female squirrel, Dale, is having some UTI issues (swollen in that area, dragging herself after she pees). The treatment options I have on hand are some Metacam, Clavamox (what my local vet suggested), and Bactrim pills. Curious what the best course of action would be? Which meds and dosage should I go with?

She weighs maybe 2lbs at most. Just an avg size adult female grey squirrel. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: UTI infection treatment help

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    Good day to all of you,

My adult female squirrel, Dale, is having some UTI issues (swollen in that area, dragging herself after she pees). The treatment options I have on hand are some Metacam, Clavamox (what my local vet suggested), and Bactrim pills. Curious what the best course of action would be? Which meds and dosage should I go with?

She weighs maybe 2lbs at most. Just an avg size adult female grey squirrel. Thank you in advance.
    Metacam is not an antibiotic. Either Clavamox or Bactrim will work for UTIs. I would probably give the clavamox the edge. We can dose this properly for you.

We need you to provide us with her weight (not guessing would be good here, digital gram scales are fairly inexpensive) and the size of the pill you have in milligrams. YOU will need a 1cc or smaller syringe to do the dosing with once we calculate and give you the directions.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Metacam is not an antibiotic. Either Clavamox or Bactrim will work for UTIs. I would probably give the clavamox the edge. We can dose this properly for you.

We need you to provide us with her weight (not guessing would be good here, digital gram scales are fairly inexpensive) and the size of the pill you have in milligrams. YOU will need a 1cc or smaller syringe to do the dosing with once we calculate and give you the directions.
    I put her on the only scale i have access to. Shes around 1 to 1.1lbs.

We need to know the milligrams of the Clavamox for breakdown and dosing.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    We need to know the milligrams of the Clavamox for breakdown and dosing.
    "For veterinary oral suspension
    For use in dogs and cats
    When reconstituted each mL contains 50mg of amoxicillin USP as the trihydrate and 12.5mg of clavulanic acid USP as the potassium salt.
    Do Not Use if Product is Discolored"

"Directions for Mixing: Add 14mL of water to the bottle and shake vigorously. Each mL of suspension will contain 62.5mg of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid activity."
    "Net contents: Equivalent to 750mg of amoxicillin USP as the trihydrate and 187.5mg of clavulanic acid USP as clavulanate potassium."

That is all the labels on the box. It is a 15mL bottle of powder that the vet instructed me to mix with water.

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    "For veterinary oral suspension
    For use in dogs and cats
    When reconstituted each mL contains 50mg of amoxicillin USP as the trihydrate and 12.5mg of clavulanic acid USP as the potassium salt.
    Do Not Use if Product is Discolored"

"Directions for Mixing: Add 14mL of water to the bottle and shake vigorously. Each mL of suspension will contain 62.5mg of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid activity."
    "Net contents: Equivalent to 750mg of amoxicillin USP as the trihydrate and 187.5mg of clavulanic acid USP as clavulanate potassium."

That is all the labels on the box. It is a 15mL bottle of powder that the vet instructed me to mix with water.
    Mix/dilute as described, 62.5 is the strength we need.
    I will send you dosing for your 1.1 lb (498.9 grams) squirrel in a private message
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

CritterMom (11-23-2021)

Thank you for your help. I sent you a reply in a PM.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to riggs from:

stepnstone (11-23-2021)

Just wanted to post an update for anyone curious about the treatment. After one day of Clavamox, shes already feeling much better and the redness/swollen in that area is noticeably reduced.

Going to follow through with the 5 days recommended, but just wanted to share that there are good signs already.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to riggs:

CritterMom (11-24-2021), Mel1959 (11-26-2021), stepnstone (11-24-2021)