Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and chewed tail with exposed bone

Default Hair loss and chewed tail with exposed bone

Hello my name is Faith, I found a young possibly 6 wk old fox today with hair loss and chewed tail, she weighs 72-73 G
    Her eyes are wide open, has both upper and lower incisors, and is curling her tail over her back.
    as soon as i found her i got her warm and she's been started on fluids.
    i also gave her a diluted dawn bath because she had a couple fleas but not bad.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Hair loss and chewed tail with exposed bone

Here's another photo, sorry new to this forum and learning the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1132 View Post
    Well that’s different for sure. You have one with no hair and I have one with way to much hair…lol let me see what I can find if I search this.

Ok I found a thread about this, you will have to read all of it.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...lete+hair+loss

The experts will have to guide you on treatment hopefully we will learn something new today. Just give them a bit and they will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Ok I found a thread about this, you will have to read all of it.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...lete+hair+loss

The experts will have to guide you on treatment hopefully we will learn something new today. Just give them a bit and they will help.
    Yeah that sounds pretty spot on with her condition, except the tail part. Thank you!!

Yeah that sounds pretty spot on with her condition, except the tail part. Thank you!!
    Really let the more experienced rehabbers chime in to help this one. That’s post was several years ago and there could be a better course of treatment.

The tail part is a little different. They have this thing where if something grabs them by the tail that the skin will just come off. It’s a safety feature actually. Someone will have to help you treat that.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Faith1132 (10-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    The tail part is a little different. They have this thing where if something grabs them by the tail that the skin will just come off. It’s a safety feature actually. Someone will have to help you treat that.
    This morning I noticed she was able to chew off the exposed bone part thankfully and seems to be doing well. And she's responding well so far to her initial dose of Clavamox (senior member helped with dosing) but mostly I'm concerned with the hair loss still. I did notice on her back leg there's a tiny red dot with a red horse shoe shaped line around it. I'm wondering if its not ring worm. Or just possible irritation from injury.

I read the link that was referenced in this post. The final post was made by a member who is rarely online, but is a vet, so her diagnosis is probably accurate.

Since the skin looks fine and there appears to be no mange or mites, I think this could be helped with proper nutrition.

The baby looks young enough to still be on formula. Are you providing formula? If so which one?

This baby needs time to regrow her fur and based on where you’re located releasing this winter would be a death sentence. It will need to be overwintered. Are you in a position to keep him until next spring?

A good quality squirrel block should be purchased. Go to Henry’s Pets online and order a bag of Picky Eater blocks. This will be a great way to provide proper nutrition when combined with some healthy veggies/fruits. Here’s the healthy diet for captive squirrels. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Before placing the order, please verify about the formula because Henrys also sells the appropriate squirrel formula needed which is Fox Valley 20/50.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Tuff (10-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I read the link that was referenced in this post. The final post was made by a member who is rarely online, but is a vet, so her diagnosis is probably accurate.

Since the skin looks fine and there appears to be no mange or mites, I think this could be helped with proper nutrition.

The baby looks young enough to still be on formula. Are you providing formula? If so which one?

This baby needs time to regrow her fur and based on where you’re located releasing this winter would be a death sentence. It will need to be overwintered. Are you in a position to keep him until next spring?

A good quality squirrel block should be purchased. Go to Henry’s Pets online and order a bag of Picky Eater blocks. This will be a great way to provide proper nutrition when combined with some healthy veggies/fruits. Here’s the healthy diet for captive squirrels. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Before placing the order, please verify about the formula because Henrys also sells the appropriate squirrel formula needed which is Fox Valley 20/50.
    She's currently on fox v 20/50 diluted to help adjust to it and henrys electro stat between feedings for maintenance and rehydration and I have henrys healthy blocks I'm going to introduce to her today, definitely plan on holding her through winter poor little one I know she wouldn't stand a chance now on her own. She's eating 5% of body weight to start and we'll work our way up. She's been loving to snuggle up in her blanky, with a hearing pad on low of course since she's naked. I think she's got a really good chance of making it till next spring.

Ohh also I have all the stuff already luckily because about 4-5 weeks ago I got a different young squirrel, she will be held over winter too. We call her Roxy, she's a young grey. Mom abandoned her for unknown reasons ☹

I really appreciate all the input on here, this is an awesome community.

Name:  20211012_090412.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  45.4 KB

Here's the mark I was talking about

Hello my name is Faith, I found a young possibly 6 wk old fox today with hair loss and chewed tail, she weighs 72-73 G

I believe you have a red squirrel there, based upon that second picture and the white around the eyes. Maybe post a better pic of her face for confirmation? Sometimes reds are called "pine" squirrels.

If she is a red, that would lend even more weight to the balding syndrome. I'll be watching your thread for updates to see if this baby starts growing back her hair... it will make a great reference thread going forward if you could include pictures of her progress!

Here's her taking some fluids this morning.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faith1132 from:

Tuff (10-12-2021)

Oh my, how precious. I am not so sure she is a red from the recent pictures, but at 6 weeks 70 - 75grams is very small for a fox (or a grey) squirrel... especially in Michigan!

Having grown up in Michigan, I remember reds being very prevalent in the UP, somewhat abundant in Northern Lower Peninsula and pretty scarce down state.

Michigan is a squirrel wonderland with nine different species of squirrels!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Oh my, how precious. I am not so sure she is a red from the recent pictures, but at 6 weeks 70 - 75grams is very small for a fox (or a grey) squirrel... especially in Michigan!

Having grown up in Michigan, I remember reds being very prevalent in the UP, somewhat abundant in Northern Lower Peninsula and pretty scarce down state.

Michigan is a squirrel wonderland with nine different species of squirrels!!!
    I knowww its crazy how small she is, she's not emaciated like Roxy (the grey) was when I found her. I am in lower Michigan about 45 min south of grand rapids. I haven't noticed any reds around here either but definitely a lot of fox's and greys. I did notice a couple small fox squirrels hanging around our pines that didn't look to be their usual chunk size so I'm not sure what's going on with that but It could be due to tree work thats been going on for a month a street over. Maybe they scared them from the nest or worse ☹

If she is a fox do you think i could introduce her to Roxy so they aren't alone through winter?

If she is a fox do you think i could introduce her to Roxy so they aren't alone through winter?
    Hold old is Roxy?

I know there are a few reds around GR. My nephew has a place in Lowell and he has more reds than grays (but more foxers than reds).

Roxy is about 7 weeks now, I'm guessing she was malnourished pretty bad when I got her but with ultra boost she's been catching up pretty well

You’re confusing me with the names. Is the naked baby Foxy and the white fuzzy baby is Roxie?

I have to agree with Spanky. I think the naked baby is a red squirrel. For some reason, maybe genetic, many of the naked babies we see are indeed red squirrels. I wouldn’t put naked baby with Roxie until the skin condition is determined to be non-infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    You’re confusing me with the names. Is the naked baby Foxy and the white fuzzy baby is Roxie?

I have to agree with Spanky. I think the naked baby is a red squirrel. For some reason, maybe genetic, many of the naked babies we see are indeed red squirrels. I wouldn’t put naked baby with Roxie until the skin condition is determined to be non-infectious.
    Yes, apologies I'm running on little sleep and caffeine.

Foxy (naked baby) has perked up a lot and I got her on the scale for a split second it read 84-86 g could be because she's got a full belly but she's making good progress.
    No change in fur/ skin yet. But no more fur has fallen out either. Q

Just want to give an update and majorly thank everyone for help and input!!

Foxy (naked baby) went with a licensed rehabber, I contacted her to see if she had other reds and she did and she has a much larger facility and easier access to meds so she's with her now and in good hands. 🙏❤

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast