Thread: Need help with Baytril dose for wild fox squirrel

Default Need help with Baytril dose for wild fox squirrel

One of my wild adult female regulars has shown up with a pretty serious open scratch on her arm. She is getting around ok, only mild evidence of a limp. She is average to slightly below average size. Maybe 600-700 grams (?)

I have four tablets of Baytril 22.7mg "film tabs" (purple tablets). Can anyone please help me with dosing and administration instructions? She likes avocado, so prefer to use that as a medium if possible. (Also nuts, of course).

Thank you v much

Default Re: Need help with Baytril dose for wild fox squirrel

FWIW, a couple of photos. Hard to see but it's pretty deep in front and then seems to slice almost all the way around the arm.

I also have 10% iodine tea ready but she's jumpy and proving very hard to squirt. Is this a must-capture/take to rehabber situation? I hope not as that is very hard to do and traumatic for all involved (but not necessarily impossible).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Dosing for Baytril sent in a PM.

If you could find other antibiotics, that would be great... I am not a fan of using Baytril on an injury like this one. Augmentin (Clavamox), Clindamycin or even Clindamycin + Augmentin would be some better options IMO.

If you have any other antibiotics, post what you have and someone willa dvise if it will be a better choice over the Baytril.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Benny (10-11-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Dosing for Baytril sent in a PM.

If you could find other antibiotics, that would be great... I am not a fan of using Baytril on an injury like this one. Augmentin (Clavamox), Clindamycin or even Clindamycin + Augmentin would be some better options IMO.

If you have any other antibiotics, post what you have and someone willa dvise if it will be a better choice over the Baytril.
    PM received, many thanks.

I'm asking around for other antibiotics but chances are slim. Greenwood (local rehab facility) tells me if I bring her in they will not give her back to me and cannot guarantee they will decide to relocate her where she lives despite my knowing what tree she lives in (2 houses down from mine). Is this normal policy? Seems outrageous to me.

These don't have to be veterinary dugs. Human drugs will be fine. In most cases, one pill will provide plenty for a full round of meds. One of us will send detailed directions of which to use and how to properly dilute it and dose it. You will need to provide a fair guesstimate of weight and have a 1cc syringe with clear markings to dose it.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Benny (10-11-2021)

I was able to get human Amox-Clav 875mg/125mg tablets. Would anybody be so kind as to send dosage instructions?

The squirrel is an average adult female foxer. If anything, just a shade on the smaller side, but basically average. I don't know what the best weight estimate is-- 650 g maybe?

Thank you for your help. (And thank you Spanky for the Baytril instructions.)

Dosing sent.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Benny (10-12-2021), Mel1959 (10-12-2021), Spanky (10-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    PM received, many thanks.

I'm asking around for other antibiotics but chances are slim. Greenwood (local rehab facility) tells me if I bring her in they will not give her back to me and cannot guarantee they will decide to relocate her where she lives despite my knowing what tree she lives in (2 houses down from mine). Is this normal policy? Seems outrageous to me.
    Greenwood does not have the best reputation…just saying.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Benny (10-12-2021)

Many thanks to HRT4SQRLS for the PM. Question about Clavamox dosing:

Standard dosing is twice a day. Is it ok to give a single, double-strength dose once a day? She is a once-a-day visitor. Sometimes she'll show up twice but usually within a couple hours of the first visit. Sometimes she skips days entirely. How on-target does antibiotic medication need to be? Is it a thing where 'some is better than none' or is missing a dose or two catastrophic? Just want to make sure upfront I am not doing harm, as she is a wild and it's hard to control what happens.

She showed up (late, just to make me worry) and I was able to get her to eat a couple of medicated pecans. I'm doing 1 full dose once a day. So I think I'm on my way here, just one last thank you to everyone who helped get me set up with this. Let's hope little Peach can pull through.

It is erratic when treating a wild. They are unpredictable and it’s a given that they won’t show up twice a day.
    I wouldn’t double the dose but you could increase the dose a little. It certainly won’t hurt. Even with less than optimal dosing I have had success treating wilds with infections.

An update on Peach's arm wound...

With some trial and error, I was able to give her the full 7(?) days dosing of Clavamox and she FULLY recovered. She recovered so well, I can't see any trace of a scar on her arm. Amazing because that wound was pretty serious.

So thank you Squirrel Board-- and Spanky, CritterMom, HRT4SQRLS, Mel1959, and anyone else who chimed in that I forgot-- you saved Peach! I am so grateful.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Benny:

redwuff (11-29-2021), stepnstone (11-29-2021)

Just seeing this thread now, SO happy! Thanks for loving Peach.

"I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Benny (11-29-2021)