Thread: Oyster shells.

Default Oyster shells.

Big oyster eater here, I always keep some shells to use in flower pots to keep the wilds from digging. I keep them in a bucket outside for a while to allow them to mellow, but just lately they keep removing them from the bucket and leave them all over. Bad for the lawnmower. Today I found one about 12 feet up a tree. Why? Shells have calcium, I know friends that use them for parrots. I don't want to deprive
    them of anything they need, but slight problem. If they need them, I will a couple out.

Default Re: Oyster shells.

Quote Originally Posted by jakid709 View Post
    Big oyster eater here, I always keep some shells to use in flower pots to keep the wilds from digging. I keep them in a bucket outside for a while to allow them to mellow, but just lately they keep removing them from the bucket and leave them all over. Bad for the lawnmower. Today I found one about 12 feet up a tree. Why? Shells have calcium, I know friends that use them for parrots. I don't want to deprive
    them of anything they need, but slight problem. If they need them, I will a couple out.
    They do collect items with calcium. I found the same chewed ham bone several times in different locations in my yard. It was something they found as I’m a vegetarian so it wasn’t my bone. Antlers, shells, bones, etc is a collectible. They are also hoarders so I’m guessing that the ‘mind blowing’ find of an entire bucket of shells is a challenge they can’t resist. Cover the bucket and this should deter them.

Wow, oysters make me a little weak at the knees. Just the thought.

Default Re: Oyster shells.

Out on a walk a few months back, I saw a young squirrel (4-5 months old) trying to carry off a beef bone about half its own size!