Thread: Pinkies

Default Pinkies

My baby squirrel has had formula come out his nose several times and also has diarrhea. I held him upside down when it came out. How do I get rid of diarrhea and will he development pneumonia? Im very worried.

Default Re: Pinkies

Quote Originally Posted by samwitch601 View Post
    My baby squirrel has had formula come out his nose several times and also has diarrhea. I held him upside down when it came out. How do I get rid of diarrhea and will he development pneumonia? Im very worried.
    Just because formula comes out the nose it doesn’t necessarily mean they will develop AP. If AP there will be a click with every breathe they take that comes from the lungs not the mouth. The diarrhea can be cause by many things. How long have you had your baby? How old is your baby? And what are you feeding your baby? Are you weighing your baby every morning? Do you have a scale that weighs in grams? Are you feeding 5-7% of the body weight? Can you post a photo of your baby? Can you post a photo of the diarrhea it will help us help you.

I'm new at this. So I have had them for about 4 days. 2 boys. I'm feeding 1cc of esbilac every 2 hrs. I have not weighed them. Also the poop is like a green color. I have given them pedialyte also. Also how long would it be until AP symptoms start showing up? Is there any other symptoms besides clicking?

I'm new at this. So I have had them for about 4 days. 2 boys. I'm feeding 1cc of esbilac every 2 hrs. I have not weighed them. Also the poop is like a green color. I have given them pedialyte also. Also how long would it be until AP symptoms start showing up? Is there any other symptoms besides clicking?
    Lethargy, loss of appetite, (up to refusing to eat) labored breathing.

Below is the link on baby squirrel care. Click on the link it can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 (short) pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Please post a picture or two of your baby so we may get an assessment on age and condition.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Sam, we really do need an approximate size. Could you post a pic? Only pinkies would be fed every two hours. I see you posted pinkie in the title.

Are you feeding powdered puppy Esbilac or the Esbilac liquid in a can?

Clicking, lethargy and loss of appetite are an emergency. I would look for antibiotics now even if you don’t see these symptoms because once they have aspiration pneumonia time is critical. With a pinkie you might not hear the clicking. If they stop eating I would treat.

I'm using powder esbilac. 1 part powder 2 parts water.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Attached Images Attached Images  

OK they are about 2 - 2.5 weeks old. Try feeding every 2.5 hrs, and they may take a bit more at each feeding. Make sure formula is super warm -- their mamma's body temp is about 101*, and they are used to taking milk that is that hot!

Did you try to find a squirrel rehabber in your area? We may be able to help with that; babies this young are always better off with an experienced person (no offense)!

You've got some of our best and brightest helping you, so the best I can say is READ the baby squirrel info and listen for clicking or popping with each breath the babies take,
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks.

So myself and Marie are in Mississippi maybe we could help??

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

redwuff (10-10-2021), samwitch601 (10-10-2021)

If you are not interested in turning the beautiful babies over, I would encourage you to use this community to help you and your babies. As IR mentioned, Pinkies can be a bit more challenging.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

samwitch601 (10-10-2021)

That's what I wanted to do is try and raise them myself. That's why I'm here. For help.

That's what I wanted to do is try and raise them myself. That's why I'm here. For help.
    As I said Snicker Bar and myself are in MS we can help you greatly. Can you tell me what they weigh? Do you have a scale that weighs in grams? Diarrhea can be fatal in babies that tiny. Squirrels are fed 5-7% of their body weight. Weighing them first thing every morning let’s you know how much to feed them all day. I try to stay at 6% that way I know I am not over feeding them. Calcium is your friend with babies that small. The correct formula gives them the nutrients that they need. Feeding them with the correct syringes and nipples are a must. That helps you not aspirate the babies. I suggest Miracle nipples Original size and 1ml syringes. Just remember drop by drop. Push wait, Push wait. I will sent my personal cell number so as you can call if you want. We can help you but you have to be willing to share information with us in order to do that. A reluctance in sharing information can be fatal with these two babies.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

island rehabber (10-14-2021), samwitch601 (10-10-2021)

I will weigh them.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to samwitch601 from:

Tuff (10-10-2021)