Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringer’s Journey

Default Ringer’s Journey

So I have another critical, but hopefully we will have better results this time. I will try and get a photo of the abscess in a few when I can stop crying over the other baby I just lost. Anyways this is another little boy seems about 5-6 weeks. I have done one round of hydration fluid and he is on the heating pad. He seems ok other than what appears to be a bite wound from something on the belly. Fairly good size abscess. Haven’t had a chance to clean him up it’s a crazy day at work. But he is drinking. I have clavamox liquid on hand, and Baytril also Liquid pred. Anyways I have dosing instructions for all three. He is 84g.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

redwuff (10-08-2021)

Default Re: Little boy with abscess and maggots on intake

Tuff, I am so sorry for the loss of the first baby boy. I know it is hard when we do everything we know to do and they can’t make. It gives me comfort to think that they are going back to the almighty’s hands.

Let’s see a picture of boy number 2 when you can catch your breath
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Tuff (10-08-2021)

Name:  A548C5AD-3AB6-4439-BF4B-646AACC126ED.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  97.6 KBName:  9595C488-2C67-49E2-BDC1-AB25C266F709.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  107.7 KBName:  55EBAA9F-0D4B-40E7-B815-CE73077B342E.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  102.7 KB

These are the best photos I can get

Hey Tuff,

You got a hairy little boy there. His penis concerns me. Could there be maggots there. I can’t see the abcess. Is it the brown sticky/scabby looking on the right?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I am so concerned that I would mix up 1/2 tablet of the capstar powder in 1 ml of water and use part of that to flush out his penis
    redwuff
    State Licensed

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Scooterzmom (10-08-2021), Tuff (10-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I am so concerned that I would mix up 1/2 tablet of the capstar powder in 1 ml of water and use part of that to flush out his penis
    After me and Marie put this little guy through the ringer…hmmm good name….anyways we found 3 puncture wounds finally we got the abscess to drain sort of we flushed it out, found a scab on his pee pee, finally soaked that off, did a sub-q and we have a very tired baby boy named Ringer. Praying for him. Will update tomorrow. We have all the meds and love he can stand.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Chirps (10-09-2021), redwuff (10-09-2021)

So for the meeting of the minds here, we dosed him 0.05 ml of Clavamox, considering we don’t know what these wounds are from (found 3 punctures, one being rather large hole) anyways is clavamox the best for this. The other 2 wounds are much smaller.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-09-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Hi Tuff:
    Since the origin of the puncture wounds is unknown, one of the likely possibilities to consider is that these are bites and if so, a cat bite must be considered. The typical cat bit is a puncture rather than a tearing of the skin as seen with bites from many other species. Developing an abscess is also relatively common with cat bites because of the fact that the typical cat bites are only puncture wounds rather than lacerations. Thus bacteria can be deposited deep into the skin and an infection can likely develop. Often, a pus pocket (abscess) will form as there is no "easy" way for these wounds to drain. If this is a bite and especially if this is a cat bite, using Clavamox is a excellent choice of antibiotic!

You mentioned that you had the dosing instructions for the Clavamox and I assume that you prepared this liquid from a crushed tablet and mixed the powder with a certain amount of water. IF you are using actual Clavamox Drops and it is mixed according to the manufacturer's instructions, this will yield 62.5mg per ml (50mg of amoxicillin + 12.5mg of clavulanic acid). IF and ONLY IF you are using the actual Clavamox Drops, your dosing of 0.5ml may be excessive because the dose recommended by the manufacturer (Zoetis) for use in dogs is 1ml/4.5 kilograms. Your little Squirrel only weighs 84 grams (0.084 kilograms). Just FYI.

I'm glad that the little guy is drinking! Since he is probably in at least some degree of pain from current conditions, a suggestion might be to treat his discomfort with an NSAID (non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug) such as ibuprofen or meloxicam (Metacam is a veterinary brand for meloxicam). Thanks for taking care of this Little One!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Chirps (10-09-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-09-2021), Mel1959 (10-09-2021), redwuff (10-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    we dosed him .5 ml of Clavamox.
    I thought the same thing Sam. Tuff, you probably meant 0.05mL, right? That would be about the size of a drop.
    I’m rooting for little Ringer.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Tuff (10-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Tuff:
    Since the origin of the puncture wounds is unknown, one of the likely possibilities to consider is that these are bites and if so, a cat bite must be considered. The typical cat bit is a puncture rather than a tearing of the skin as seen with bites from many other species. Developing an abscess is also relatively common with cat bites because of the fact that the typical cat bites are only puncture wounds rather than lacerations. Thus bacteria can be deposited deep into the skin and an infection can likely develop. Often, a pus pocket (abscess) will form as there is no "easy" way for these wounds to drain. If this is a bite and especially if this is a cat bite, using Clavamox is a excellent choice of antibiotic!

You mentioned that you had the dosing instructions for the Clavamox and I assume that you prepared this liquid from a crushed tablet and mixed the powder with a certain amount of water. IF you are using actual Clavamox Drops and it is mixed according to the manufacturer's instructions, this will yield 62.5mg per ml (50mg of amoxicillin + 12.5mg of clavulanic acid). IF and ONLY IF you are using the actual Clavamox Drops, your dosing of 0.5ml may be excessive because the dose recommended by the manufacturer (Zoetis) for use in dogs is 1ml/4.5 kilograms. Your little Squirrel only weighs 84 grams (0.084 kilograms). Just FYI.

I'm glad that the little guy is drinking! Since he is probably in at least some degree of pain from current conditions, a suggestion might be to treat his discomfort with an NSAID (non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug) such as ibuprofen or meloxicam (Metacam is a veterinary brand for meloxicam). Thanks for taking care of this Little One!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    This morning we are at 86g and hungry. Snickerbar is helping with meds and dosing until I get the hang of everything. His pee pee looks Normal this morning. He got a 2-1 split formula. We are giving .05 of Clavamox liquid at it is 40mg p/ml. Everything is looking up this morning definitely not out of the woods yet. Pray for Ringer…

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I thought the same thing Sam. Tuff, you probably meant 0.05mL, right? That would be about the size of a drop.
    I’m rooting for little Ringer.
    Yes I did it was late and I was emotionally taxed at that point. * Can someone change what I wrote initially because I don’t want someone OD’ing a baby that just happens to be reading. ����*♀️ Ringer is doing great at this point. He doesn’t have the strength yet to latch on to the nipple but he is holding it with his wittle feet.. he is stronger this morning than yesterday so we on the up swing as long as I can keep him there.

*Done
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-09-2021 at 10:13 AM. Reason: OP request

Name:  F14B21B3-ED31-4363-B431-F31D802EC8F1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  90.6 KBName:  077F889A-AB3E-434D-927D-20EC69FABAC2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  78.5 KBName:  73A001AC-FAA1-4912-8C28-E0C0DB9ED3AB.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  84.1 KBName:  65AEF270-17CE-47C2-95E9-838FFCE92002.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  111.8 KBName:  FE3D619C-0DF6-4685-B75F-BA8D497681DB.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  117.1 KBName:  C12F6DBF-A18B-4CD7-92B5-B7F11E8F6AA5.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  118.5 KB

Here are some better photos of Ringer. He is so tired of momma messing with him. ♥️♥️♥️

I'm so happy to hear Ringer is doing better; even gaining weight, continuing to take in fluids and nutrition and peeing normally! Glad the question of the antibiotic dosing is resolved. You have had a tough couple of days yourself, Tuff! How are you doing?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Tuff (10-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I'm so happy to hear Ringer is doing better; even gaining weight, continuing to take in fluids and nutrition and peeing normally! Glad the question of the antibiotic dosing is resolved. You have had a tough couple of days yourself, Tuff! How are you doing?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    I’m ok, I cried a good bit about the first little boy and him crashing on me. No matter what I did I just couldn’t turn him around. I was working on Ringer with tears in my eyes. Now I need to find Ringer a buddy. So he is about 5 weeks and started turning that tail over his back.

I’m ok, I cried a good bit about the first little boy and him crashing on me. No matter what I did I just couldn’t turn him around. I was working on Ringer with tears in my eyes. Now I need to find Ringer a buddy. So he is about 5 weeks and started turning that tail over his back.
    Hopefully a healthy baby Squirrel who just needs your love and the company of Ringer to grow up with will come your way shortly! That tail flip is always a good sign!
    StS

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Tuff (10-09-2021)

This is SB posting for TM,

She just called , he’s seizing

He’s only 86 g

She’s follows all instructions exactly as advised for hydration.

I need someone I can voice call to discuss this ASSP so I can get whatever else is needed.

Please PM me if we can talk dosing , Valium??

Sent you pm on Valium...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Snicker Bar (10-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Sent you pm on Valium...
    Marie said it is Meloxidam??? She doesn’t carry valium?

Marie said it is Meloxidam??? She doesn’t carry valium?

Give me a min to send dosing.....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Snicker Bar (10-10-2021)

Is your Little One still seizing Tuff?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast