Thread: How to tell if a squirrel nest is being used

Default How to tell if a squirrel nest is being used

I have an oak tree in my yard that is leaning over my house pretty bad and I am needing to cut it down. I noticed before I started cutting that theres a nest towards the end of one of the limbs. I've done some research and it seems that squirrels usually have babies around August/September.
    I cant get to the nest to actually look and see if there are babies in it and I havent seen any activity around the nest but of course I'm not watching all day every day.
    Does anyone know if there is another way that i could tell if the nest is "active" or if it has babies in it so that I can cut the tree down?

Default Re: How to tell if a squirrel nest is being used

Are you going to drop it intact? Surely not. I’m sure you don’t want to drop it on your house.
    Are you going to rent a cherry picker and do it yourself or hire a tree service? I would have a tree service look in the nest or if renting a cherry picker I would look myself. Trees are usually removed piece by piece especially if overhanging a house.

Another option… know anyone with a drone? I own a drone and l would definitely be flying it over to get a look. Drones have remarkably clear pics. They will hover in place. If babies are there you should be able to see them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Jackemiller (10-07-2021)

Yes I do plan to drop the tree intact. All the trees that Ive dropped in my yard I dropped intact just because unfortunately I cant afford a tree service or cherry picker 🙁
    My yard is big enough for the tree to drop whole, I use chains along with a winch to pull it in the opposite direction of the house.
    I never thought about it and I do like your option about the drone 🤔, I'll have to see if any of my neighbors have one that I can use.
    I wish this nest, like the others in my yard, wouldve been in the crook of the tree where it would be easy to get to and see.

Would love videos of a drone's-eye view. Also would love videos of the felling. We've dropped one or two, but nothing spectacularly huge. Just had some tree guys out last month to take care of a few things.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Jackemiller (10-14-2021)

I know Jack. It is very expensive. I can’t afford a tree service either but I have done some serious tree cutting in a cherry picker. I used to pay $250 for the day to rent a cherry picker but recently I heard the rental is much more expensive now, like more than twice that amount. I have a laurel oak that’s slowly dying in my back yard. It’s on the property line but it’s on me. 99% of the base is on my side. It’s preventing me and the neighbor from putting up a fence. The base is about 4 feet across. Luckily it’s not near my house or anything else but the thought of working on it with a 14 inch chain saw is a little daunting. At least I won’t destroy my house.

Please be careful. Someone that knows my history with a chain saw gave me some good advice.
    “There is no such thing as a small chainsaw accident.”
    You might want to keep that in mind also. Also, if you drop it on the house, the wife or SO will be really ticked.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Jackemiller (10-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Would love videos of a drone's-eye view. Also would love videos of the felling. We've dropped one or two, but nothing spectacularly huge. Just had some tree guys out last month to take care of a few things.
    Name:  20211014_205412.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  183.1 KBName:  20200916_142410.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  114.8 KB

I'm going to try and find a way to get a drone or Gopro up there so I can see and if i do i will definitely try to upload it.
    I dont know if I've done the upload right or not so you can see.
    I have pictures of the trees that I've cut down. One picture is of the tall pine tree that I fell and the other is 2 oak trees. I fell the one furthest away from my porch (in the left of the pic) but the other is the one with the nest (right side of the pic)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I know Jack. It is very expensive. I can’t afford a tree service either but I have done some serious tree cutting in a cherry picker. I used to pay $250 for the day to rent a cherry picker but recently I heard the rental is much more expensive now, like more than twice that amount. I have a laurel oak that’s slowly dying in my back yard. It’s on the property line but it’s on me. 99% of the base is on my side. It’s preventing me and the neighbor from putting up a fence. The base is about 4 feet across. Luckily it’s not near my house or anything else but the thought of working on it with a 14 inch chain saw is a little daunting. At least I won’t destroy my house.

Please be careful. Someone that knows my history with a chain saw gave me some good advice.
    “There is no such thing as a small chainsaw accident.”
    You might want to keep that in mind also. Also, if you drop it on the house, the wife or SO will be really ticked.
    Oh I definitely know that feeling. Luckily I've had some good luck looking up alot about how to fall a tree exactly where you want and had the ones I fell go exactly where I need them but I know theres always a chance something could go wrong. I need to do some research about how much it would be to get a boom lift for just a couple hours.