Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joey has Cataracts in both eyes

Default Re: Joey has Cataracts in both eyes

Yes, I can hear her now.
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'll keep you posted and please if you think if anything else let me know.

You're awesome!

You could get the Teklad 2014 block
    https://www.amazon.com/ENVIGO-Harlan...578994&sr=8-38

Or you could buy Mazuri rodent block at a local pet retailer like PetSmart. I think it is called rat and mouse.

You might need to smear them with almond butter to get her to eat them. Peanut butter would also work but the almond butter is a little more healthy.

Don’t buy both. One of the other. If you have a local pet retailer that would be easier.

Maybe tomorrow others can sound in with diet ideas.

Good night. Don’t give up. We will work on this.

I always get my Teklad blocks on ebay! There are several sellers and the prices are better than anywhere else.

Thank you so much.

I checked the eBay site and couldn’t find the 2016. It wasn’t on Amazon either so maybe they stopped making it or a supply problem. IDK. They make a 2014 and a 2018. In Joey’s case you should probably order the 2014. The number is the amount of protein if I’m not mistaken. In Joeys case… less is better.

Edit…. Yes it is the protein. 14% protein vs 18% protein. Definitely less for Joey. Order the 2014.

This is a chart I want you to study.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1232419601

It is the Calcium : Phosphorus ratio of foods. There is a lot to learn here. The ideal foods have a 2:1 ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus. I can give you two examples to look at.

Look at kale and pine nuts. Kale is an excellent food. Pine nuts are horrendous. You should be able to see why on the chart. As you look at the chart you can determine which foods are the best. I noticed that orange is very good so give her a small orange wedge. Right now my main concern is getting food into her and flushing out the excess minerals/vitamins.

I don’t think I posted the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels. This is the link.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Even thought the pyramid shows the bulk of the diet being rodent block that does NOT mean Henry’s blocks. It means a commercial block like the Teklad blocks. Henry’s are a supplement block and should be limited.

Perfect timing. I'm at grocery store now buying the veggies you recommend. I will study the diet while at store.
    My husband ordered the 2014 rodent blocks from Amazon.
    Thank you once again.

Joey ate most of her vegetables, butternut squash, broccoli, kale, avocado and sugar snap peas. I gave her 1 henry picky block, 2 pecan halves, 2 small pieces of apple. She ate the peanut butter off rodent blocks but no rodent blocks. Chewed on her whole pecan and apple sticks.

I reached out to vet's office and sent him an email regarding over supplementing. He was out of office this pm so he or his staff should respond tomorrow.

QUESTION: Did she eat enough since she did Not eat any rodent blocks?

Thank you.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Joey's Human from:

Diggie's Friend (11-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey's Human View Post
    Joey ate most of her vegetables, butternut squash, broccoli, kale, avocado and sugar snap peas. I gave her 1 henry picky block, 2 pecan halves, 2 small pieces of apple. She ate the peanut butter off rodent blocks but no rodent blocks. Chewed on her whole pecan and apple sticks.

I reached out to vet's office and sent him an email regarding over supplementing. He was out of office this pm so he or his staff should respond tomorrow.

QUESTION: Did she eat enough since she did Not eat any rodent blocks?

Thank you.
    That’s awesome. I’m so glad to hear that she ate her veggies. I would drop the pecan halves to one. When the Teklad block comes in you will probably need to eliminate even that pecan half until she eats the block. We don’t want to go too far in the other direction.

I’m sure she ate enough. If not she would have finished the veggies.

I’m curious did you notice the cloudy eyes? I read back and saw the vet noted the cataracts. If it was subtle and seen on an exam by the vet, maybe it’s early stage and will reverse.

I noticed them 2 days prior to obtaining the appt with vet. They worked me in with a $98 emergency fee added on Saturday. I was thankful to find someone that examined squirrels.
    At first I thought it was a reflection from her white cage. I noticed she would be sitting still and them would sort of nod her head downwards as if going to sleep and then just all of a sudden get out of the trance and start jumping from one level to the next. The vet thinks she was trying to focus to see by nodding. I thought it was neurological since at that time I did not know about the cataracts.
    The nodding is why I originally took Joey in because it was something new that she had not done previously.
    Yes, she likes the new vegetables. Thank you so much for the suggestions and the diet plan. Very helpful.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Joey's Human:

HRT4SQRLS (11-01-2021), TubeDriver (10-08-2021)

Update on Joey. She is eating her vegetables great, loves them. Vegetables consist of yellow squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, sugar snaps, butternut squash and kale. One picky block daily, 1 pecan in shell, 1 almond, 1 piece of apple every other day, 2 blueberries twice weekly. unlimited Teklad 14 blocks and alfalfa. She plays with our kitten through bottom of her cage so I know she can see a little. I believe her eyesight is improving. The only Optometrist that will see squirrels is 200 miles away from my home. We sold our 2018 car to carvana because we are shopping for 2022 model. I don't trust my 2006 kia to make trip safely so once we get a 2022 model I will schedule the appointment. My local veterinarian that saw Joey previously is the one that located the Optometrist for me. I am to take Joey back to locate veterinarian in 5 months to recheck her bloodwork to see if her new diet has improved her bloodwork. Thank you for helping Joey and me.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Joey's Human from:

HRT4SQRLS (11-01-2021)

I’m so happy to hear that things are positive with Joey. The good nutrition he’s eating could help his eyesight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12