Thread: Please My Squirrel Needs somebody experienced fast!

Hybrid View

Default Please My Squirrel Needs somebody experienced fast!

First it was an issue with my squirrel destroying his nipples making formula control difficult. From that issue, suspected AP that I used amoxicillin for. Then bad diarrhea due to a batch of formula I unknowingly mixed too concentration when switching to larger batch, (or maybe the amoxicillin too?) Stopped everything and started rehydration fluid for 24 hours. Diarrhea improved and I started adding back some formula in incremental feedings. Between formula and rehydration fluid he was taking 6-7% at his feeding (4) yesterday. Last night he acted normal. This morning he slept in and I woke him up to find him dehydrated feeling, lethargic and quite weak on his feet! I gave him 6 of his 8 ml of formula (he was transitioning 1/2 formula to 1/2 rehydration fluid) but he only took 3ml of the fluid. I tried again in an hour and got 3-5ml more in, then maybe 6 ml and hour later. He seemed a bit steadier after the first feeding but is weak again. I have no experience SQing a squirrel but I think he needs help fast! I have some .9% sodium chloride on hand. BUT PLEASE let me bring this squirrel to someone!! Iím just not experienced enough and I think Iím going to lose him! He can be saved if he can get help soon! I think Nancy in NY is only an hour and a half away from me. Could someone ask her to take him please!

Default Re: Please My Squirrel Needs somebody experienced fast!

Are you mixing his formula with hydration fluid? Or giving them at the same time? If so, stop. Formula is to be mixed with WATER. If giving hydration fluid, you want to give him his formula, wait an hour or two, then give him hydration, then wait again until he gets formula.

How long have you been giving hydration fluid? It is meant to be used for 24 hours. At that point the salt begins to build up in his system.

I have him the homemade rehydration fluid for slightly less than 24 hours, then started back using 1/4 formula and 3/4 fluid, but not mixed together! I didnít want to push the transition and using did the 1/4 for two feeding, the 1/2 this morning. But I didnít wait the hour between. I gave him his formula first and topped off with the hydration which he did not take all of.
    Omígoodness! Re: ďAt that point the salt begins to build up in his system.Ē

I had been using the homemade stuff until this morning. Then I got out the sodium chloride for SQing (that I have no experience except on my cat) and I USED THAT FOR HYDRATION FLUID THIS MORNING!!! I have the Wild Mammal Baby book and it said it could be used orally.

To clarify better, I used his normal formula mixed with water. Fed that, and the fluid separately.

OK. First, calm down. He can feel your panic and it isn't helping. Heck, I can feel your panic. Breathe.

Make a new batch of formula, mixed the way it is intended to be made - one part formula powder and 2 parts water. Stick it in the fridge.

Give him some plain old water - nothing added. Warm it up just like you would formula. Then let him (and you) chill for an hour.

Then warm his formula up - maybe a little warmer than you usually do, and give him some of that.

Then an hour later, some more warm water. Remember, he will be getting water in the formula as well as the plain water you are giving him.

Over the balance of the day, try to get him back on a regular schedule with his formula, and in between those feedings, offer him some of the warm water

I am not trying to be snotty when I tell you to calm down. Mammals get the vast majority of their communication from the energy of those around them - not from your words, not from your voice, but from your energy, and if that energy is panicky, they will panic. While you are with him, say all of the calming words you want to convey to him SILENTLY, in your head. They will change your energy to match your thoughts, and that will soothe him. Panic will frighten him and that is not going to make him want to eat and drink.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

ConfusedMuse (10-03-2021), EarlsMom (10-04-2021), stepnstone (10-04-2021)

No offense taken Crittermom, I am definitely in a panic and fumbling all over myself. Your directives are settling me down. New formula made, water warming, and me trying to take slow deep breaths. Thank you.

I have reread your post a couple times and I think that his weakness and lethargy may be related to hypoglycemia from lack of actual nutrition. It looks like he was only on hydration for a while because of the diarrhea, and then you have been doing the REALLY lean super diluted formula for a bit. Think about how shaky you get when you don't eat for a while. ALSO, formula diluted that way tastes like crap! Take whatever milk you normally drink, dilute it to 25% milk and 75% water and take a swig! Yuck! That will make him not want to eat, too.

So I am going to modify my directions a little. Give him the water like I said, and then give him one drop of something like honey or pancake syrup. Not a lot, we don't want to get the diarrhea going again, but one drop will start to bring his blood sugar up. Then push his formula feeding up - let him chill with water and the drop of syrup for a half hour, and then offer him the formula. If he shows some enthusiasm, let him have between half and 3/4 as much as he should be getting for his weight, not the entire amount. Continue offering water an hour after that, and at his next regularly scheduled feeding, get a little closer to his normal feeding amount. At the feeding after that one, go ahead and let him have the full 5-7% of formula.

I am trying to get nourishment into him but not trigger the diarrhea again.

If he balks at taking plain water, give him the drop of sugar or syrup, wait 10 minutes or so, and go right into his formula feedings.

The little squirrel took 3ml of the plain water, then hid his head and refused more. I put him back to bed.

I’m about 20 minutes away from giving him his formula (due 1:45). I see him out and eating his block which he likes and will eat many of in a day. He is obviously much steadier on his feet and not nearly as weak appearing. Throughout all the issues of the last week I never took away the block because I thought at least he was getting some nutrition. Should I take it away so he’ll take more formula and hydration fluids? And if so when should I give it back?

I too am feeling much better.

EDIT: oops after posting this I saw you left another post that I have to review.