Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please My Squirrel Needs somebody experienced fast!

Default Re: Please My Squirrel Needs somebody experienced fast!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlsMom View Post
    Would plain calcium citrate work? I have that on hand to dust some veggies with? I have infant Tylenol, any chance that could work?

Ugh, he’s not even taking fluids at all.
    If this is a MBD issue you need calcium. Run to the store buy tums bring it back crush it up and give it to him. He may not be a instant turn around but the added calcium will perk him up a bit. This is the beginning stage I swear I have been there. Stay calm. He isn’t going to crash with you going to the store.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

EarlsMom (10-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I know we are going to have to wean YOU off the calcium for him - it is basically MBD-PTSD
    Lol, I admit to a little worry but I am going to follow what you say because after all, with your sound advice (and HRT4SQRLS’s) I still have a live squirrel!

Will do some math and mix his slurry under a 100mg and dole that out over the course of a day and wean off…in say…what, a week? Ummm, probably should cut out the third Henry’s block then, eh?

Yes I am still giving him ibuprofen but I have stretched it out to every six hours. Tomorrow I thought I’d stretch it out further to 8 hrs. (I’m needing weaning with this too aren’t I? )

:

Why don't you drop what you are adding to 125mg spread through the day plus his blocks. He can also have healthy veggies and his biscuits if he likes. Then look at his poop 2 days later and see what it looks like. Ideally you want normal poops with no white at all. That is his maximum per day. Once you get him to that point, whatever the total number of calcium mgs is all he is able to completely process and so should be his top end. Plus, no more dusting veggies with calcium.

I would like to see his ibuprophen tailing off too, and note any changes you see in his behavior.

Feel free to post that stuff here. Not every post needs to be an emergency and it will be a handy log. Sometimes sitting and re-reading the threads sparks a thought that might otherwise not ever happen, and sometimes those lead to breakthroughs.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

EarlsMom (10-12-2021)

So….I’m not having much trouble cutting back the calcium. I have still seen flecks in his poops at around 114 mg/day so have cut that back to 85mg total. He will eat a third Henry’s if I give it to him. Should I just let him have a third block and drop the added calcium altogether?

My squirrel has had two awesome mornings only to do a kind of ‘crash’ by afternoon. He becomes lethargic, staying on the heat and just watches me. I think it is related to withdrawing the ibuprofen. I was trying to move to two doses a day, but I don’t think he can go that long between. He lays on his blanket, his eyes look half closed and the tips of his ears kind of curl like he is wincing. About two hours after getting a dose I’ve got a new squirrel! Bouncing, eating, engaging, wanting to groom…me, etc. Can I keep him on…say…an rolling 10 hour schedule instead of every 8 hours. He doesn’t seem to be able to make it to 12 hours. Should I switch to something else to give his system a breaK?

His mobility and balance have vastly improved in the last couple days. I hate seeing these setbacks. I wonder if he can stay on an analgesic a little longer would he gain a bit more strength and be able to tolerate some discomfort when he does get weaned off. But then I worry about his little system that has gone through so much in last couple weeks. Is daily fluctuation normal? Is this the marathon part?

BTW, witnessing the transformation in just a week’s time is incredible! Never could I have hoped for so much so soon! You guys Rock!

So….I’m not having much trouble cutting back the calcium. I have still seen flecks in his poops at around 114 mg/day so have cut that back to 85mg total. He will eat a third Henry’s if I give it to him. Should I just let him have a third block and drop the added calcium altogether?

My squirrel has had two awesome mornings only to do a kind of ‘crash’ by afternoon. He becomes lethargic, staying on the heat and just watches me. I think it is related to withdrawing the ibuprofen. I was trying to move to two doses a day, but I don’t think he can go that long between. He lays on his blanket, his eyes look half closed and the tips of his ears kind of curl like he is wincing. About two hours after getting a dose I’ve got a new squirrel! Bouncing, eating, engaging, wanting to groom…me, etc. Can I keep him on…say…an rolling 10 hour schedule instead of every 8 hours. He doesn’t seem to be able to make it to 12 hours. Should I switch to something else to give his system a breaK?

His mobility and balance have vastly improved in the last couple days. I hate seeing these setbacks. I wonder if he can stay on an analgesic a little longer would he gain a bit more strength and be able to tolerate some discomfort when he does get weaned off. But then I worry about his little system that has gone through so much in last couple weeks. Is daily fluctuation normal? Is this the marathon part?

BTW, witnessing the transformation in just a week’s time is incredible! Never could I have hoped for so much so soon! You guys Rock!
    Praying for your little guy!!!!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

EarlsMom (10-14-2021)

Go ahead and give him the additional ibuprophen. The dose you started out at is already a low dose so he should be fine. But you DO want to do it in conjunction with something else. It is clear that something is hurting him. He must have some sort of inflammation somewhere that the ibuprophen is alleviating or he wouldn't perk up the way he does after he gets a dose. That means that it is possible that the bouncing, running, and playing he does after his dose is also keeping the pain going on longer than it should. I always tell people who have a squirrel that hurt it's paw or leg to only give pain meds if they ALSO keep the squirrel quiet and caged in such a way to prevent them from overusing the hurt part because it suddenly doesn't hurt thanks to the meds. If they can't do that, then not giving pain meds provides an incentive to the squirrel to REST that area because it hurts if they run and play. Talk about tough love - but since you cannot reason with them, sometimes you have to get tough! So hanging with mom, getting lovins, grooming you and himself is okay but bouncing off the walls and squirreling around is not. No doctor would tell you to pop a painkiller and then go for a run on your sprained ankle!

The next time he "crashes" and is just lying around, will he let you go over him thoroughly? Manipulate his limbs, palpate his entire body gently - see if you can find any place that he doesn't want you to mess with. If he has an injury someplace we need to know that. There is obviously something going on in there.

I would rather see him getting supplemental calcium than a third Henrys RIGHT NOW. The vitamin/mineral dosage in the Henry's blocks is based on an approximately 1 pound squirrel. They were developed in Florida, land of tiny squirrels. In Maine, we call 1 pound squirrels either teenagers or half a squirrel! But Earl is only about half that weight now. So he would be getting the calcium he needs but also a bunch of other vitamins and minerals that are a little more than he needs. Once the boy beefs up a little more - with age - he can have his third block. Just keep cutting that additional calcium dose down until you stop seeing the excess in his poop. He CAN have his other blocks, too if he still likes them.

Earl

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

EarlsMom (10-14-2021), island rehabber (10-14-2021), Mel1959 (10-14-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123