Thread: Baby squirrel lump on neck

Default Baby squirrel lump on neck

Hi everyone,

I rescued a baby squirrel about ten days ago. He's 6 - 7 weeks old, and five days ago he developed a lump on his neck, which has been getting bigger. It's pinkish, slightly soft, and about the size of a 5p piece. It hasn't impacted his appetite or mood, but I'm not sure what it is, or whether we should try to lance it? I can't get a vet to see him because we're in the UK, and they won't see them.

Pics attached.

Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Baby squirrel lump on neck

Quote Originally Posted by JoMZG View Post
    Hi everyone,

I rescued a baby squirrel about ten days ago. He's 6 - 7 weeks old, and five days ago he developed a lump on his neck, which has been getting bigger. It's pinkish, slightly soft, and about the size of a 5p piece. It hasn't impacted his appetite or mood, but I'm not sure what it is, or whether we should try to lance it? I can't get a vet to see him because we're in the UK, and they won't see them.

Pics attached.

Thanks all.
    It could be one of two things. An injury or a boy fly? If an injury then an antibiotic would help it heal, if it is a bit fly you can remove them. But I’ve never really seen either so a more experienced rehabber can help you with that.

So there are bit flies in the UK, but probably not a lot. And a bot that size would have already created its exit hole. Yuck!

I think this is an abcess and would use warm compresses on it to see if you could get it to come to a head and drain.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

CritterMom (09-29-2021), Mel1959 (09-30-2021), Tuff (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    So there are bit flies in the UK, but probably not a lot. And a bot that size would have already created its exit hole. Yuck!

I think this is an abcess and would use warm compresses on it to see if you could get it to come to a head and drain.
    Thank you! We've been trying warm compresses for the last few days. If it doesn't make a difference, would you recommend trying to lance it?

It looks like it is pretty close to opening. It would be better if it opened on its own. But if it gets much bigger, than I would lance it.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    It looks like it is pretty close to opening. It would be better if it opened on its own. But if it gets much bigger, than I would lance it.
    Okay, thank you!

Wet a cotton ball or small rag with some slightly soapy water and wipe the area down well and separate the fur so you can see the skin itself. They are sort of "waterproof" and the addition of a little soap will give you a better view. Once you can see yellow-white under the skin you are looking at pus and it is really better out than in.

When you lance, you do NOT want to use a needle. In the US, we have something called an X-acto knife or "craft knife" - https://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-2-Knif...84349331&psc=1

which is basically a pointy razor blade. You want something like this. You don't even need the handle part; if you can just buy blades you can easily hold the sterilized blade with your fingers. It is so sharp it doesn't even hurt, and the relief of pressure from the building pus is substantial.

Also, purchase a bottle of - I believe in the UK it is 7% povidone iodine. A pharmacy will have it in the wound care aisle - it looks like a bottle full of blood! Mix about 25 drops of this in 1/4 cup (60ml) sterile water. Once all of the yuck has been drained from the wound, use a 3ml or 5ml syringe (no needle) to draw up the povidone iodine/water mixture, place the end of the syringe into the hole you have made and shoot the mixture in there and let it drain out. Do this several times - it will clear the last of the pus out and leave an excellent antibacterial behind. I would clean it out this way several times a day to make sure it does not continue to fill up with pus.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (10-02-2021), redwuff (10-01-2021)