Thread: So glad to find this resource!

Default So glad to find this resource!

Hello! I’m so pleased to find this community. My neighbor is caring for an eastern grey squirrel (we think approximately 15 weeks old). I’m trying to be a good squirrel ‘auntie’ and help out

Risyu is currently eating Exotic Nutrition rodent blocks (but don’t worry, I told her about Henry’s Blocks!), vegetables, fruit, occasional dried crickets and a few nuts 3 or 4 times a week.

I found the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels chat which has been extremely helpful.

She has Fox Valley Day-One Formula 32/40 for Baby Squirrels that he still gets (or is offered) a few tablespoons a day. Do you think that is okay? It is mixed with boiling water - so I haven’t noticed that it looks too thick, but I know this is the wrong formula for him. Would it be best to ween him from formula, and only offer water?

He has a pet water bottle as well as a very small water dish with rocks in it to stabilize it.

Lately, when we feed him (which is generally twice a day, morning and evening) he turns his back when he is eating. It also looks like he is storing food, so she tries to remove the visible stores every day. In the morning he is offered 2/4 rodent blocks, then vegetables and wild foods. Most late mornings he is given some fruit in his play area before I leave. He isn’t offered food again until evening.
    Does this sound okay? Should we put his food in a bowl and leave it for him, or hand feed him? Is it appropriate for him to have some food available to him to during the day?

He scratches a lot, and bites his tail and hands. He had one dose of advantage for kittens about 1 week ago and that didn’t seem to help.
    Over the weekend he got a tiny (less than half a grain of rice) of ivermectin on a nut. When I saw him afterwards, I felt like he was a little wobbly and drowsy. Even this morning when I visited, it seemed like he would be in the middle of playing and just stop, get very still, and begin to close his eyes. Does this sound like normal behavior or perhaps a side effect of the medication?

I made him a few little toys with natural jute, sticks, and wood blocks left over from another project. There isn’t glue or anything like that on the toys - but I’m uncertain if all woods (like cedar and curly maple, which I’m using) are safe for him to chew on.

Thank you for this treasure trove of information!

Default Re: So glad to find this resource!

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieA View Post

He scratches a lot, and bites his tail and hands. He had one dose of advantage for kittens about 1 week ago and that didn’t seem to help.
    Over the weekend he got a tiny (less than half a grain of rice) of ivermectin on a nut. When I saw him afterwards, I felt like he was a little wobbly and drowsy. Even this morning when I visited, it seemed like he would be in the middle of playing and just stop, get very still, and begin to close his eyes. Does this sound like normal behavior or perhaps a side effect of the medication?
    Welcome to the squirrel board. This is not normal behavior. It sounds like ‘absence’ seizures. I do believe this is a result of the Advantage and Ivermectin. We never use Advantage. Adding the Ivermectin on top of that could potentially caused neurological issues. That might be what you are seeing.

Lately, when we feed him (which is generally twice a day, morning and evening) he turns his back when he is eating. It also looks like he is storing food, so she tries to remove the visible stores every day. In the morning he is offered 2/4 rodent blocks, then vegetables and wild foods. Most late mornings he is given some fruit in his play area before I leave. He isn’t offered food again until evening.
    Does this sound okay? Should we put his food in a bowl and leave it for him, or hand feed him? Is it appropriate for him to have some food available to him to during the day?
    It’s normal for them to eat with their back towards you. It’s also normal for them to stash food but in the interest of hygiene it must be removed. I wouldn’t give so many many nuts that he stores them. They are very unhealthy and should be limited. Storing nuts causes them to become aggressive as they defend their nut stash. Please get them to buy the Henry’s blocks. The Exotic Nutrition blocks are not recommended.

I usually feed them enough in the morning so that they have plenty for the day. Then I feed them again in the afternoon/evening.

I made him a few little toys with natural jute, sticks, and wood blocks left over from another project. There isn’t glue or anything like that on the toys - but I’m uncertain if all woods (like cedar and curly maple, which I’m using) are safe for him to chew on.

Thank you for this treasure trove of information!
    You mention cedar, which makes me feel I should say that you should make sure it's interior lumber, not exterior. Exterior wood is treated against rot. It used to be cyanide. I think they're changing that, but it's still poisonous to chew on. If you're not sure, usually treated lumber is slightly damp or will have a greenish tint. It would be hard to tell in cedar or redwood but they are most commonly used in exterior construction and I would look at any exterior wood cross-eyed before chewing on it!

(Not a squirrel expert, just a carpenter's daughter.)

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConfusedMuse from:

Chirps (09-28-2021)

Thank you all for your advice. I'm getting ready to visit her apartment to see Risyu now (just so you know: I'm no spring chicken but my neighbor is older, and English is not her first language, so I offered to reach out on her behalf to this forum).

I'm very sorry to hear about the Advantage and Ivermectin possibility causing a type of seizures. Is there any way to correct this, or any chance he will outgrown it? I'll make certain he doesn't receive any additional doses of Ivermectin. I'm unclear what her intentions are as he grows, but in your option, does this change if he could be a good candidate for release?

Thanks for the info about the food and wood types!

I'm curious if anyone can advice us about the formula? That is one thing I am still very unsure about..

AuntieA, while you’re there could you take a pic of the baby? That would be helpful.

He might outgrow this. I sure hope so. Ivermectin is used for treating mange but it must be dosed carefully as it can be toxic if too much is given. I personally don’t use it. I use Revolution instead. It worries me that the Ivermectin on top of the Advantage could have been too much. There really isn’t much that can be done but let’s hope that time will resolve any issues from it.

The FoxValley 32:40 is the formula for babies younger than 4 weeks. Most don’t use it because it is very difficult for the small babies to digest. The next step formula from FoxValley is FV 20:50. Most squirrels do very well on it. Actually I wouldn’t even worry about switching if the baby is 15 weeks old. Most 15 week babies have already self weaned. It makes me wonder about the age. Of course there are exceptions. Some would take formula until they go to college.

If these symptoms disappear, there is no reason he can’t be released. I would be watchful to assess his overall health and ability to survive. . Actually we usually release around 16 weeks but for some reason I think this guy might be younger. How long has she had him? Were the eyes open when she found him?

Thank you for helping your neighbor.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

This is the healthy diet for a captive or pet squirrel.

Name:  IMG_1395.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  130.7 KB

I'm embarrassed that was so hard for me to figure out!
    This is a photo from Wednesday. The Henry's blocks arrived and I think he really likes them

We stopped offering the formula this week, now giving him 2 Henry's blocks and some veggies in the morning. In the evening, he gets another block with some local, wild herbs.

Thanks again for your guidance with Risyu!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Actually we usually release around 16 weeks but for some reason I think this guy might be younger. How long has she had him? Were the eyes open when she found him?

Thank you for helping your neighbor.

She found him in late August on the city sidewalk. He had fur and his eyes were open, but he was quite small. I saw him for the first time Sept 1, and I remember that he was small – but I don't recall that he had a 'newborn baby' quality about him.
    She thinks he is too young to be released until spring when the weather is warm again..

I think you might be right about the spring release. I’m not familiar with NY but I would guess it will be getting cold before he’s old enough to release.

If the eyes were open when found I would age him at 5 weeks then so add 4 weeks that she’s had him he is probably 9-10 weeks. He looks more 10ish weeks to me. He looks fabulous.

That's good to know, thank you very much! Do you think his diet is okay for 10ish weeks old? (2/3 Henry's blocks, plus fresh veggies and a little fruit everyday.) We haven't offered him the formula for a few days now..

I think because he’s young I would give him one block in the morning and a second block in the evening. When he’s a little older in the winter you can give him the 2 + 1. Henry’s are a supplement block so you don’t want to give too much as it will cause over supplementing. Other than that, it looks perfect.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

AuntieA (10-01-2021)

Auntie A -- hello from City Island in the Bronx!

Your adorable boy looks to be the same age as 4 of mine, and I plan to release them in about two weeks. Apologies to HRT4SQRLS who knows more than I ever will, but Florida folks often think that our part of New York State is way colder than it actually is. (Now Buffalo, that's another story.) I have released as late as December 15, believe it or not, and everyone did fine. Our Norway maples still have leaves on them for cover from hawks, and the nights are rarely lower than 40* up until then. Not that I recommend waiting that long at all -- my target release date for fall squirrels is typically Halloween (Oct 31).

Overwintering, IMHO, is extremely stressful for both human and squirrel and often leads to issues when release time finally comes. In our densely populated area you don't want an acclimated squirrel who runs up to people. You also don't want a squirrel who has lived in a house or apartment for so many months that he claims it as his own and attacks anyone coming or going from it!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

AuntieA (10-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Overwintering, IMHO, is extremely stressful for both human and squirrel and often leads to issues when release time finally comes. In our densely populated area you don't want an acclimated squirrel who runs up to people. You also don't want a squirrel who has lived in a house or apartment for so many months that he claims it as his own and attacks anyone coming or going from it!
    This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much! My neighbor is away for a few days, but when she returns I know she has many local-specific questions that you seem be the perfect person to help answer

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AuntieA from:

island rehabber (10-08-2021)

This might be a very silly question, but how squirrels bathe? After watching some squirrels in the park, it seems like they might take dust/sand baths..

In a rehab (or pet) situation, would you ever give a squirrel a regular bath? Risyu still scratches, and I'm unsure if it's normal grooming behaviors, or an issue with mites or fleas or something. He has never received a bath (and I don't know how happy he would be to get one!)

In the wild squirrels “bathe” when they get rained on. I have never seen one seek out water for a bath the way birds do. Yes, sometimes it looks like they are enjoying a dust bath when they wallow in the dirt, but I don’t think they do this as a way to bathe.

If Risyu is itching you could get some cat/kitten Revolution from Joespetmeds.com without a Rx or a vet with a Rx. It only takes one drop on the skin between the shoulder blades or one drop on a nut and given orally. It will take care of any mites. Please don’t use other animal flea products, they are too toxic for squirrels.

You could also attempt a bath with Dawn detergent or some other gentle liquid bath product. Some squirrels tolerate baths and others not so much.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (10-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

If Risyu is itching you could get some cat/kitten Revolution from Joespetmeds.com without a Rx or a vet with a Rx. It only takes one drop on the skin between the shoulder blades or one drop on a nut and given orally. It will take care of any mites. Please don’t use other animal flea products, they are too toxic for squirrels.
    Thanks! I actually purchased that a few weeks ago, but since he was mistaken given a flea medicine (Advantage) as well as a micro dose of Ivermectin within 10 days of each other, we have been hesitate to do any more meds..