Thread: Chipmunk seizure -updated

Default Chipmunk seizure -updated

Hello again.

The chipmunk youngster I am caring for has been having seizures. I have had him on a calcium regimen for days but today he has had many seizures. He has been weirdly on a one “good day/one bad” day seizure situation for a while.

Today has been one of the worst days. I am beginning to believe it is not MBD due to his young age and no improvement with calcium. Is there anything else I can do? Or is the humane thing to do, to bring him to the vet to be put to sleep? I don’t want him to suffer.

Default Re: Chipmunk seizure -updated

The seizures could be a result of head trauma. Low glycemic values can also trigger them as can light and sounds. Have you tried placing a little molasses or honey in his mouth when he begins to size? This will help if it’s triggered by low blood sugar.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Merca126 (09-27-2021)

Yes, I also get some honey in his mouth. He is in a trance and frozen immediately after so I can get it in him easily with a toothpick. Would he have low glycemic values if he eats and drinks regularly? Maybe it is lights and sounds.. it’s so hard to tell.
    Today he has had at least 5 or 6 that I have seen which is a lot. They have been brief and he has been coming out of them pretty quickly and he will eat or drink some formula but then another one follows. It’s really hard to watch.. I want him to heal and I am focusing all my energy on helping him.. I just don’t know if it’s something I can help him with..

I’ve never had to deal with seizures, but others have.

How was this baby found? Do you have access to a vet for help?

We wandered onto someone’s yoga mat and had a seizure..she brought it to the wildlife center I volunteer at. I did bring him to the vet but she just went on my idea that it was MBD and gave him a calcium injection and send me home with more calcium. But she basically just said there are a lot of things that can cause seizures..

I’m not sure if giving prednisolone could help or if it would make seizures worse? I hope someone with some insight will chime in.

My guess is that the seizures are not from MBD as it’s uncommon in wild animal. It’s most likely the result of an injury which is why I wondered if the anti-inflammatory properties of prednisolone would be helpful.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Merca126 (09-27-2021)

Have you tried my magnesium suggestion from your other thread?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Merca126 (09-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Have you tried my magnesium suggestion from your other thread?
    Yes I did thank you. I’m not sure how quickly it would work? His seizures today are worse then ever.. happening very often..

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure if giving prednisolone could help or if it would make seizures worse? I hope someone with some insight will chime in.

My guess is that the seizures are not from MBD as it’s uncommon in wild animal. It’s most likely the result of an injury which is why I wondered if the anti-inflammatory properties of prednisolone would be helpful.
    Ok thanks. I’m not sure either. I’m willing to try

I would try a course of gabapentin to see if that stops the seizures from starting.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead