Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8-9 week grey squirrel with lesions- started around 5 weeks

Default Re: 8-9 week grey squirrel with lesions- started around 5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    IR would you also treat the other baby that has been in with this baby with acyclovir?
    AB-so-freakin'-LUTELY!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

kat.new (10-02-2021), redwuff (09-30-2021), stepnstone (10-02-2021)

Hello everyone! Thank you for all of your advice and input thus far! We have a confirmed case of squirrel pox. Lilo (squirrel's name) has been put in quarantine as of Tuesday. Prednisone has been stopped. We are going to try to find the Acyclovir local. If not, CritterMom, I will DM you for more information. I am meeting with my mentor today to discuss next steps including all of the information provided by all of you amazing people.
    As for Lilo, she is doing okay. Sleeps most of the day which I would expect. Still fighting. The sore on her face *looks* like it is slowly getting better however they are still spreading.

Thank you

New update: we were able to get ahold of Acyclovir!! I will be picking it up tonight and starting our "Hail Mary pass". I will post updates as they come. Thank you again to everyone who commented offering advice and information! I cant even begin to express our grateful I am to all of you!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kat.new:

island rehabber (10-02-2021), redwuff (10-02-2021)

If you can, try to administer the Acyclovir 4 times A-day ..that is the truly recommended dose. I couldn't do it because of work schedule ; I could only do twice A-day but the 1st time I dealt with pox many years ago I did give 4 times A-day and everything cleared up so much faster than this last time.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stepnstone (10-02-2021)

I have sent dosing. Can you tell her where to get nutriferon?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I have sent dosing. Can you tell her where to get nutriferon?
    Best price is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZ8CDLO...6V216XJA203GYY
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by kat.new View Post
    New update: we were able to get ahold of Acyclovir!! I will be picking it up tonight and starting our "Hail Mary pass". I will post updates as they come. Thank you again to everyone who commented offering advice and information! I cant even begin to express our grateful I am to all of you!
    How is your Squirrel doing Kat.new?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

redwuff (10-08-2021)

Hello hello!

It has been roughly 7 days on the Acyclovir and there has been a little progress. Lilo is definitely more perky than she has been in weeks. The first 5 days, as well as before starting the Acyclovir, she slept most of the day- having to be roused awake to eat. Yesterday and today she was awake and waiting for me at each feeding. The medication is going down nicely. There are more lesions appearing but that was expected to happen. With the one on her face looking better, I have hope that things will be slowing down in the next couple weeks and she can start healing from the ones she currently has. I try to keep her as stress-free as possible to avoid potentially causing a flare-up of lesions. She is definitely a little fighter. Below what her face looked like before vs now.

Name:  20210929_205152 (1).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  52.7 KBName:  20211009_114752.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  72.0 KBName:  20211009_114805.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  62.4 KB

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kat.new from:

stepnstone (10-10-2021)

Thanks for posting the new (and old) photos. Did your other little Squirrel develop any lesions?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hello! No one else has developed lesions or even shown signs of illness which is awesome!

We did some research on Fibroma and it mentioned that Fibroma is caused by ectoparasites and isn't necessarily contagious in the sense that it's spreadable via blood, urine, or saliva. With that being said, Lilo is still in quarantine for her own comfort and seems rather content being alone. She is definitely more perky which is a step in the right direction. The lesion on her face is no longer spreading across her face, rather growing outward. Part of me wants to mess with it, other part of me wants to wait a little longer before I start poking at her face.

I will post pictures later this week of her progress. Thank you again to everyone who provides advice, dosing, good vibes, etc. Lilo is alive and comfortable because of you 💚

So glad to hear that LILO is thriving. This is a horribly nasty virus . Keep up the good work
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

kat.new (10-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kat.new View Post
    Hello! No one else has developed lesions or even shown signs of illness which is awesome!

We did some research on Fibroma and it mentioned that Fibroma is caused by ectoparasites and isn't necessarily contagious in the sense that it's spreadable via blood, urine, or saliva. With that being said, Lilo is still in quarantine for her own comfort and seems rather content being alone. She is definitely more perky which is a step in the right direction. The lesion on her face is no longer spreading across her face, rather growing outward. Part of me wants to mess with it, other part of me wants to wait a little longer before I start poking at her face.

I will post pictures later this week of her progress. Thank you again to everyone who provides advice, dosing, good vibes, etc. Lilo is alive and comfortable because of you ��
    Thanks for your update kat.new. I am glad to hear that no one else has developed any lesions and are apparently healthy and that Lilo is doing better! I meant to ask in my initial inquiry as whether or not Lilo has developed any more lesions. Squirrel Fibromatosis is considered to be spread by mosquitos and fleas and there is ample observational evidence that Squirrel Fibroma can also be spread by direct contact with infected Squirrels. I too, do not find anything definitive about spread through blood, urine or saliva but that is to be expected as the condition is classically confined to the skin. Here are a few links with some general information about Squirrel Fibroma that also contain information regarding suspected means of transmission: 1) https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/disease/fibromas 2) https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...7274--,00.html 3) https://www.ncwildlife.org/Have-A-Pr...7-squirrel-pox

As far as your temptation to "mess" with the facial lesion, that is almost a universal urge when faced (pun?) with skin lesions but I would strongly suggest resisting the impulse as assuming this is truly Squirrel Pox; disturbing the lesion may result in a secondary infection and/or further spread the lesions. If, however, an abscess (a pus pocket) has already developed on Lilo's face it would most likely be the result of a secondary infections and if it does not drain spontaneously it may need to be opened. Please take the photos and post them and get the opinion of the experts here on TSB before any "messing" takes place! I wish Lilo, your other little Squirrels, and you as well; the very best!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

HRT4SQRLS (10-12-2021), kat.new (10-17-2021), Mel1959 (10-12-2021)

Hello all!

Lilo has been on treatment for roughly 2 weeks and continues to get better. I left the scab in her face alone and it ended up falling off on its own. Her face is still healing but looks significantly better than it did a week ago. Her fur is continuing to get fuller and fluffier as the days go on. Her toe, that started all of this fun, is still swollen and scabbed but doesn't seem to be bothering her. I assume it's not healing because she is immunocompromised from the Fibroma. Continuing to keep her calm and quiet as she continues to heal. Complete transformation from where she was two weeks ago. She's gotten faster so pictures are tricky (already tried once and they all came out as a blur). I will try to get some while she's eating or sleeping. Thank you!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kat.new from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-18-2021)

Hello all!

Here are some updated photos of Lilo! Her face has pretty much healed at this point along with the other lesions on her body. Her fur has grown in fuller and fluffier which makes her actually look like a squirrel rather than a drowned rat. The only thing that concerns me is her chin, and her toe. She has been rather itchy lately, could it be a side effect of the Acyclovir? Mites? I haven't seen anything crawling on her. Would it be safe to give her the Acyclovir and some sort of flea/tick topical medication?

Her toe has been a concern since Sept., this actually all started because of her toe. Nothing seems to help this poor toe heal, we have tried Dermalone and Clavamox in case it was infected, now I'm not sure what is going on. It has never gotten past this point, never shown sign of necrosis, or lack of blood flow to her toes. It doesn't seem to be bothering her but neither did the Fibroma and we all saw how that escalated quickly. Any ideas?

I appreciate all of you wonderful people. Lilo lives because of you!!! :Love_

Name:  20211022_191950_HDR.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  79.2 KBName:  20211022_192415.jpg
Size:  83.4 KBName:  20211022_192919_HDR.jpg
Size:  44.6 KBName:  20211022_192934_HDR.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  46.9 KBName:  20211022_192946_HDR.jpg
Size:  49.6 KBName:  20211022_192952_HDR.jpg
Views: 31