Thread: First foods

Default First foods

I have a maybe 5/6 week old that is getting ready for first foods. He is enjoying fv formula at 5% of body weight. He’s having 5 feedings a day. I can’t remember when I can move to 4 feedings. He also has rodent block and water available all the time. He loves to chew the rodent block and make a mess.
    I was hoping if someone could tell me what the best first foods are and when I can start introducing them. Also, I’d love some no no’s. So much has changed since I fostered last time.
    Thank you.

Default Re: First foods

What kind of rodent block are you feeding? It's important to know if it is a commercial pressed block (Mazuri, Teklad, etc.) or a supplement block (Henry's). That makes a difference in how much veggies and fruit he gets... if using a commercial block, that will need to be 75% + of his diet.

In either case, no other solids until he is eating the block very well.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

margaret! (09-26-2021)

He is getting Mazuri. He grinds it all up. I’m not sure how much he’s actually consuming at this point. How will I know if he’s “eating it very well”? 3 chunks gone by days end? Also, when he is eating it and I can introduce first foods, what can I give him. What’s best and what should be avoided.
    Thank you.

Here is the healthy food pyramid. Keep in mind his Mazuri needs to the majority of his diet. Introducing veggies one at a time is a good why to uncover anything they may not tolerate well. I'd avoid "gassy" veggies like broccoli in the beginning.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I was wrong. It’s Kaytee. Is that ok?

Kaytee is only marginally acceptable. I'd recommend switching to Mazuri, Teklad or a supplement block (Henry's).

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

margaret! (09-26-2021)

If pumpkin seeds are a treat (mostly for training) should they be raw or dried? I have soooooo many from carving pumpkins.